pdorey

Jun 20, 2017
Mesa, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
AF1QipM2IacN-pOfAk7shfhOISiuelA8a6oH6R773RcZ
AF1QipNnU-_JJ_rlEQZnamnUKd2XDbJ_jxdmKi6fNvdd
Hey guys,
Been reading the forum for a while now, always a lot of help. Unfortunately this weekend I did the same it looks like a lot of other people have done, submerged my unit. I pulled it directly out and let it sit several hours, went back and started it up, it ran for a minute then died, won't restart. I looked in the fuel tank and it was full of water. Got it home and siphoned the gasoline out, it was totally full of water and silt. I don't believe the silt got in the engine.

I already took the oil out and will flush several times, but I'd like to get the fuel tank out to clean thoroughly. Has anyone performed a fuel tank removal? It appears to be a huge PITA so I wasn't sure if there was a trick I was missing.

Thanks,
Patrick

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Was there water in the oil?
Plan on changing the oil several times.
I had success by running it 3 minutes then changing the oil. Run it 3 more minutes and changing the oil. Running it 5 minutes with 1/2 oil, 1/2 Diesel and change the oil. Run it 15 minutes and change the oil. Might be excessive but...

P

pdorey

Jun 20, 2017
Mesa, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
The oil had little to no water in it, but I plan on flushing it a few times anyway. The fuel is where the issue lies, I believe. So I would like to remove the tank and completely clean it out then let it dry and re-install, but removing it is proving more difficult than I envisioned.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wish I could be more help on getting the tank out. I haven't had to do that (YET).

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
How did you get silt in the tank???And if you do have it in there then yes a b**** to remove, but doable.And if it's in there you have to do it,or it will keep haunting you!!!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
And By the way Welcome and stay out of that stuff

P

pdorey

Jun 20, 2017
Mesa, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
And By the way Welcome and stay out of that stuff
Thanks and I definitely will!

The cow patch was super soft mud so I assume it either seeped in through the gas cap or the vent hose. I was going to simply siphon it all out and refill it and siphon it and just do that several times, but then when I saw the sediment in the gasoline I thought it best to pull the tank and clean it super well before trying to start it up again.

Reactions: swsebek
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The tank and gasoline are warm. When you submerge it in cool water the vapors contract and the tank will suck water in through the vent line.

I submerged a 3 wheeler. When I pulled it out the tank was collapsed and was whistling. The vent line was almost stopped up by a dirt dobber so it couldn't draw in air fast enough as the vapors condensed.

You have to snorkel the tank when you snorkel the air intake.

That same silt gets in the engine. That's why you have to perform multiple oil changes to get it out. A tiny bit of that silt/sand in a bearing or on a cylinder wall will wreak havoc. I've seen them start to smoke 6 months after being submerged because it wasn't cleaned out completely.
I'm sorry, that sounds like a lot of gloom and doom. Yours wasn't completely filled with water and you can clean it out.

Reactions: swsebek
M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Thats why i snorkled mine and ran vent hoses up the first day I brought it home some people say snorkles mean bad things I myself call it insurance there always a chance of deep water sneaking up just like a fire or being stolen

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@pdorey
Welcome to the club.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I hate it happened but it is so easy for it to happen. The muddy water was sucked in fairly fast once you hit the water. This post gives a fairly good explanation as to how it happens and why so much of it. - Multi - Fuel tank breather hose - IMPORTANT modification for ALL!
A good cleaning should do. Once you pull the pump out you should be able to run a rag around on a stick to get most of the other dirt out. This will save you from pulling the tank. Either way, it's going to be a pain.

Next, I want you to run your vents fif you haven't already. The fuel tank is HIGHLEY important over any others.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome. I recently snorkelled mine including all vents and this last trip out found a puddle that quickly went from just into the floor to over the dash, backed out and kept going. Best $35 I spent on building a snorkel.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
And don't forget the cooling fan vent I did and now having to replace the fan motor because of sand

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And don't forget the cooling fan vent I did and now having to replace the fan motor because of sand

Did you have problems after extending the vent?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Oh ok, after reading your post I thought you meant you had trouble after. I was checking to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Oh ok, after reading your post I thought you meant you had trouble after. I was checking to make sure I didn't miss something. Thanks
No i meant to say i had trouble before i did the vent line after the vent it's been good but i ended up changing motor other one messed up deep water and mud tends to do that

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!