• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

P700 Broken U-joint / Yoke assembly

Discussion in 'Pioneer 700 Shop Talk' started by SundayRdr, Apr 22, 2018.

1. SundayRdr

SundayRdr Well-Known Member

I broke the universal joint Saturday night at the takeover. I can't recall reading or hearing anything about a bad or broken universal joint on a Pioneer. I havent any abnormal noises any vibrations indicating a bad u-joint. We removed the broken pieces and a friend towed me to camp with me using fwd. Anyone else been here or know anything about it?

DG Rider likes this.
  2. ohanacreek

ohanacreek My EcoBoost has I4WD
    Moderator Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Its happened before but its been a while and I can't remember who did it or how, sorry. I knew there would be very few responses to this simply because its rare compared to a CV joint or axel which tend to break first.

SundayRdr and DG Rider like this.
  3. DG Rider

DG Rider Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Saw the pics elsewhere...but yeah, don't recall anyone doing that. If any of the caps and cross shaft were left intact, it'd be interesting to see if it was worn. Honestly, the way a 700 vibes and clanks from the rear diff, it might be tough to tell if it were worn unless you checked it by hand.

SundayRdr likes this.
  4. SundayRdr

SundayRdr Well-Known Member

@DG Rider @ohanacreek I've googled it but everything comes up as cv or axles. It was dark and I was frustrated when we finnaly got it removed I didn't even look it over last nite or today. I believe the joint broke. I dont recall seeing any rust on it like I've seen on the automotive side. Gonna order the parts and fix it.

DG Rider and ohanacreek like this.
  5. DG Rider

DG Rider Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    I'm thinking it comes as a complete assembly from Honder. You might get a stronger u-joint aftermarket if it becomes a problem...but do you want this to be the weak link? Maybe.

The old Foreman's used to be bad to bend the output shaft when the u-joint broke, so i'd take a peek at that...even though this is a much different set up and i think there would be enough wobble in those collars to prevent that.

Gator and SundayRdr like this.