P700 Broken U-joint / Yoke assembly

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I broke the universal joint Saturday night at the takeover. I can't recall reading or hearing anything about a bad or broken universal joint on a Pioneer. I havent any abnormal noises any vibrations indicating a bad u-joint. We removed the broken pieces and a friend towed me to camp with me using fwd. Anyone else been here or know anything about it?

Reactions: DG Rider
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I broke the universal joint Saturday night at the takeover. I can't recall reading or hearing anything about a bad or broken universal joint on a Pioneer. I havent any abnormal noises any vibrations indicating a bad u-joint. We removed the broken pieces and a friend towed me to camp with me using fwd. Anyone else been here or know anything about it?
Its happened before but its been a while and I can't remember who did it or how, sorry. I knew there would be very few responses to this simply because its rare compared to a CV joint or axel which tend to break first.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Saw the pics elsewhere...but yeah, don't recall anyone doing that. If any of the caps and cross shaft were left intact, it'd be interesting to see if it was worn. Honestly, the way a 700 vibes and clanks from the rear diff, it might be tough to tell if it were worn unless you checked it by hand.

Reactions: SundayRdr
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
@DG Rider @ohanacreek I've googled it but everything comes up as cv or axles. It was dark and I was frustrated when we finnaly got it removed I didn't even look it over last nite or today. I believe the joint broke. I dont recall seeing any rust on it like I've seen on the automotive side. Gonna order the parts and fix it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@DG Rider @ohanacreek I've googled it but everything comes up as cv or axles. It was dark and I was frustrated when we finnaly got it removed I didn't even look it over last nite or today. I believe the joint broke. I dont recall seeing any rust on it like I've seen on the automotive side. Gonna order the parts and fix it.
I'm thinking it comes as a complete assembly from Honder. You might get a stronger u-joint aftermarket if it becomes a problem...but do you want this to be the weak link? Maybe.

The old Foreman's used to be bad to bend the output shaft when the u-joint broke, so i'd take a peek at that...even though this is a much different set up and i think there would be enough wobble in those collars to prevent that.

Reactions: Gator and SundayRdr
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anyone replace the drive shaft yoke boot?
I've done it on a 500, which I believe uses the same part.
The folding clamps honda uses are quite brilliant and require a no special tools, but the shaft obviously has to come out, which means the rear diff has to be unbolted and moved up and back a bit. Which means one of the control arms has to come loose...At least one side of it does.
The u join itself appears to be sealed, so I was tempted to just run it open like most 4x4 u joints are...but then I realized that there were holes leading into the shafts, so grit and stuff might get in there over time and wear the shaft down which you don't want.

B

Burl4x4

Apr 4, 2021
Calif
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've done it on a 500, which I believe uses the same part.
The folding clamps honda uses are quite brilliant and require a no special tools, but the shaft obviously has to come out, which means the rear diff has to be unbolted and moved up and back a bit. Which means one of the control arms has to come loose...At least one side of it does.
The u join itself appears to be sealed, so I was tempted to just run it open like most 4x4 u joints are...but then I realized that there were holes leading into the shafts, so grit and stuff might get in there over time and wear the shaft down which you don't want.
Thanks

Reactions: R0H0
T

Tronnie

Apr 20, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 700-4 pioneer I broke u joint and all places are on back order its been 5 months....seriously honda.

• Sad
Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!