Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
We bought a Samsung 65" smart TV for Christmas and it doesn't play will with my old 90's Pioneer receiver amp. I'm getting poor bass etc. Had to do an optical to rca adapter since the old girl didn't come with those parts.

Anyway......I figure a tv this nice deserves surround so I guess it's time to move my favorite stereo system out to pasture. (The bar or shop)

Please do not respond with suggestions less than a full surround system as I refuse to ever buy one of those sound bar thingys. And Bose type costs are out of the question for now.

So what are you guys using on these big fancy tv's?

Reactions: Neohio and Mudwing
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you can use existing speakers and just need a new head unit?
I am running a full Yamaha 7.1 unit in my theater room. I bought a reman receiver from Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
I think it was 6 HDMI in, and 2 out. One for my projector, and one for my TV.
They were the cheapest I could find at the time. This was 3-4 years ago though. But I doubt I will have to upgrade for many more years now that HDMI and somewhat become the standard.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like you can use existing speakers and just need a new head unit?
I am running a full Yamaha 7.1 unit in my theater room. I bought a reman receiver from Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
I think it was 6 HDMI in, and 2 out. One for my projector, and one for my TV.
They were the cheapest I could find at the time. This was 3-4 years ago though. But I doubt I will have to upgrade for many more years now that HDMI and somewhat become the standard.

Yeah I'll need speakers too. My Old Fisher 4100 series are tired.
I'm in a large open room with vaulted ceilings a kitchen on one end and a loft with bar under it on the other.

Your setup sounds awesome. I'm thinking of sticking with the same brand just to make sure they (the computers) can talk to each other.

Reactions: Neohio
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
What am I looking for in quality? I mean it seems like there's a bunch of types of surround now. I'm used to the days where if you had Dolby you were done. What's the difference with all these types?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What am I looking for in quality? I mean it seems like there's a bunch of types of surround now. I'm used to the days where if you had Dolby you were done. What's the difference with all these types?
What do you watch on your TV currently?
Movies? Sports? Network programming?

I would start by identifying what your current needs are vs what you may do in the future.
do you want 5.1? 7.1? 11.1/11.2? surround etc.
What other equipment would you like to hook up? Dvd player, Blu-Ray player, gaming systems, cable box, roku, apple tv, etc.
Do you want full size stand up speakers? or book shelf style? Speakers are extremely subjective. I would suggest finding some local TV stores that carry brands that interest you and going to an actual listen to them.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm researching a bit here. Pretty sure 5.1 will do. I was into the Samsung kit until I saw that the receiver used unique connections for the speaker inputs. Dumb.

I did like the idea of wireless rears but I'm guessing they need to be plugged in for power?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm researching a bit here. Pretty sure 5.1 will do. I was into the Samsung kit until I saw that the receiver used unique connections for the speaker inputs. Dumb.

I did like the idea of wireless rears but I'm guessing they need to be plugged in for power?
I have no idea how the wireless stuff works. I hardwired everything.
If you need cabling, I bought all mine from Monoprice.com this was way before Amazon took off to be the giant they currently are.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any of the receivers for sale on the link I posted will be more than enough for your use. My first Yamaha receiver was still in working order and would have worked for my current setup if I wanted to switch the HDMI output from the TV to the projector when I wanted to use it.
I took the old unit, donated it to my father's TV room, and passed his down to his garage.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no idea how the wireless stuff works. I hardwired everything.
If you need cabling, I bought all mine from Monoprice.com this was way before Amazon took off to be the giant they currently are.

Monoprice has pretty good speakers (buy their most expensive) and cable. Get a quality 7.2 or Dolby atmos system if you can install the speakers where they need to be.

Mono-prices In wall speakers are a solid choice if you can get wire through the walls. I used them for our whole home audio when I installed it and the sound quality was WAY more than I was expecting. So when I installed our theater room (i pre-wired it to make things much easier to do a year or two after we moved in) I used their speakers.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I have a weakness for home theater stuff. I've spent several thousand and it sounds amazing!
Integra DTR 70.1, Paradigm speakers, all high end stuff.

If I had it all to do again, I'd do the Monoprice stuff for speakers and just a good quality receiver. @ohanacreek and @Neohio are giving you good info!

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I know you said no sound bars but my $250 Bose from Bestbuy has bass my local news station has a soundtrack that is bass heavy. My living room is outside my master suite the tv shares the wall with my master suite I thought someone was in my driveway playing a bass track while i was in the master bath I came out cussing who was in my drive playing music it was my soundbar.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yamaha receiver is the best music setup polk speakers, I like the detail and range they have, I got the 5.1 receiver from newegg that's all you need really, and the monitor 2 70f, t15 rear ten inch sub, was like 400 on craigslist because they last forever, there is no replacement for displacement in speakers the bose crap and tiny speakers are not a quarter as good as some of the bigger ones from best buy or stereo place.

you don't have to worry about them talking, I have Toshiba tv, sony player and ps4 they talk fine, if you get decent cables

Reactions: sharp
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a few, from cheap to over the top. Find a good receiver, Bose is way over priced. Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Harmon Cardon. 5.1 is plenty, that'll give you the surround sound you're looking for. Whatever speakers you go with, make sure you get a good center channel as that's where the voices come from. Don't get the biggest sub because it'll be wasted, doesn't take much boom for TV. A powered sub WILL go bad if they're under low power for years of use. You can go to Best Buy and get a complete system that will satisfy most. If you hardwire in the walls, be sure to use fire rated cable. If it's not and your house burns down from something totally unrelated, insurance will tell you that it helped the fire spread and try to deny coverage.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!