P500 Suspension

M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I have only had my P500 for a few weeks, but was wondering if anyone has removed the shocks, and cycled the suspension to see what contacts first? I came from the Jeep world, and that is a very common thing to do when setting up a new suspension.

Reactions: Rustell
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have only had my P500 for a few weeks, but was wondering if anyone has removed the shocks, and cycled the suspension to see what contacts first? I came from the Jeep world, and that is a very common thing to do when setting up a new suspension.
I think I would take into consideration the CV joints as well? A member here had the preload set to high on his springs and blew a couple boots from getting too hot while running roads to get to trails. I got new shocks and set spring sag at 1 1/4 inch, no issues yet. But that's a P1, don't know what the proper sag is for a P5?

Last edited:
Reactions: nctrailboss
M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I think I would take into consideration the CV joints as well? A member here had the preload set to high on his springs and blew a couple boots from getting too hot while running roads to get to trails. I got new shocks and set spring sag at 1 1/4 inch, no issues yet. But that's a P1, don't know what the proper sag is for a P5?

Yes I agree on the CV joints. This would tell you what length shocks you could run, or maybe move the shock mounts to run longer shocks. You might could get away with dropping the lower mount a little. I am not sure if it would make enough difference to matter, but if you could gain a little more travel and get equal up and down the little machine would ride and handle much better. I know from doing Jeeps you always want the tires on the ground while going over rough terrain or climbing and travel is the key.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Right front cv joint is the first thing to say "uncle".That shaft is so short,the joint will bind some at droop.I put Walker Evans shocks on mine,and my front right would go bump,bump,bump.I moved the front lower shockmounts 1/2 inch further out to clear this up.Others have not had this issue.The WE shocks were only a tad longer than stock.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Right front cv joint is the first thing to say "uncle".That shaft is so short,the joint will bind some at droop.I put Walker Evans shocks on mine,and my front right would go bump,bump,bump.I moved the front lower shockmounts 1/2 inch further out to clear this up.Others have not had this issue.The WE shocks were only a tad longer than stock.

I still have to check that out!

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
TrailBoss is right! There is a bump bump and it is in that passenger side CV, drivers side doesn't do it. I wonder if it did it with the stock shocks?
Mine did not with stock shocks,but,weren't the shocks on 15-16 models longer than the 17-on?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!