Takeover road laws

Tim-1000 XT-R

Tim-1000 XT-R

Nov 2, 2018
Oakdale, MN
I read that if you stay at Comfort Inn you should learn the rules to street ride this looks like the main place the cops will stop you. Can anyone help me out with what to "not do". Don't want to get a ticket. Thanks

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
you have to wear a helmet if you're on public roads, I believe the speed limit is 25 mph, ride on the far right/shoulder of the road. Auto traffic always has the right-of-way, don't drive like a f*cktard and you'll be good.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I read that if you stay at Comfort Inn you should learn the rules to street ride this looks like the main place the cops will stop you. Can anyone help me out with what to "not do". Don't want to get a ticket. Thanks
I have stayed at Comfort Inn several times I dont wear a hemet . I have waved to the police every trip without a problem. Just follow the rules and you will be fine there are many of us doing it. Basically don't fly through there an obey traffic laws and etiquette and you'll be fine.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When on the public/county roads, act/drive like you would a car. The county and city cops will not stop you unless you're being a dumbass. The state troopers will stop you 100% of the time if you're on a four wheeler with no helmet. They seem to not stop sxs riders without a helmet. Local people are starting to complain alot about the people driving like idiots and I've seen in the local paper the past few weeks where the politicians are starting to talk a little. There is a few bad apples every weekend that's gonna ruin it for everyone.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I do have insurance thru progressive. You will need that. Mines less than 300 a year and will cover people in a motor vehicle as well in an accident. Every thing is close you won't be on the road but a minute .

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I do have insurance thru progressive. You will need that. Mines less than 300 a year and will cover people in a motor vehicle as well in an accident. Every thing is close you won't n be on the road but a minute .
Good catch on the insurance, I have mine through Progressive also, the policy covers my buggies & snowmobiles.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here's the link for the law enacted 7/1/2017.

And the street legal plates info enacted 1/1/17:

Personal Observation: The license plate law went into effect 6 months before they made the road sections OHV legal. Being as many of the connected roads are legal as long as you have your WMA hunting or high impact permit, getting the license plate is moot for this area (Campbell, Scott, & Anderson Counties).

That said in the 4 years since these laws passed, I have not bothered to get the license plate I have ridden this area nearly 10,000 miles in a SXS with no helmet. I have met State, County, and Municipal Police dozens of times and never had any issues, even when riding bogus on non approved road sections. The key is not drawing unwanted attention to yourself and you can drive worry free in most all cases.

As previously stated, there has been some locals grumbling loudly about SXS on the roads. Three biggest complaints:

1. The 5:30 groups parked on roadways drinking and impairing local traffic drivers using the roads.

2. LED light bars on while on roads & LED whips.

3. Driving under the influence and reckless driving& Trash being thrown out trail & roadside.

It's not just local anti off road people, it's the local riders too that are pissed about the trash especially beer cans and food wrappers.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's the link for the law enacted 7/1/2017.

And the street legal plates info enacted 1/1/17:

Personal Observation: The license plate law went into effect 6 months before they made the road sections OHV legal. Being as many of the connected roads are legal as long as you have your WMA hunting or high impact permit, getting the license plate is moot for this area (Campbell, Scott, & Anderson Counties).

That said in the 4 years since these laws passed, I have not bothered to get the license plate I have ridden this area nearly 10,000 miles in a SXS with no helmet. I have met State, County, and Municipal Police dozens of times and never had any issues, even when riding bogus on non approved road sections. The key is not drawing unwanted attention to yourself and you can drive worry free in most all cases.

As previously stated, there has been some locals grumbling loudly about SXS on the roads. Three biggest complaints:

1. The 5:30 groups parked on roadways drinking and impairing local traffic drivers using the roads.

2. LED light bars on while on roads & LED whips.

3. Driving under the influence and reckless driving& Trash being thrown out trail & roadside.

It's not just local anti off road people, it's the local riders too that are pissed about the trash especially beer cans and food wrappers.
Anybody doing this s*** needs their ass whipped. People do this s*** then b**** when access gets restricted then eventually eliminated. People caught littering should have a night in jail and vehicle impounded. It pisses me off and its total BS for that to happen.

Headhunterf100

Headhunterf100

Oct 14, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
Im no expert by any means but for those that insist that they dont need a helmet on a sxs I really suggest you google sxs roll over pics a factory "rops" isnt worth two S%!ts in my opinion. Now im not saying you need a 5K dollar nascar helmet but at least something, no one wants to see your brains on the street because something stupid happened. Sorry end rant for me it goes hand in hand with littering on the trail..... Main goal is to bring less attention to the sport so those 1% ers will leave us be.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im no expert by any means but for those that insist that they dont need a helmet on a sxs I really suggest you google sxs roll over pics a factory "rops" isnt worth two S%!ts in my opinion. Now im not saying you need a 5K dollar nascar helmet but at least something, no one wants to see your brains on the street because something stupid happened. Sorry end rant for me it goes hand in hand with littering on the trail..... Main goal is to bring less attention to the sport so those 1% ers will leave us be.
I agree. I dont wear a helmet much but I did beef up the stock cage to keep it off of us. Between the coming 5 points and the added bars the helmet is just more stress on our necks and adds to the fatigue of a long riding day. That being said they're generally with us for those moments of stupidity lol.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!