CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
On my first rides in Lil_Steve's Talon at the Sand Hollow Rally, I noticed the shocks topping out with a loud clunk. Being a mechanically sympathetic snowflake, this offended my sensitivities. 👸 As I learned how to drive my own Talon (dam U, Steve :p) and my speeds increased, that topping out got louder and it didn't help when I went to heavier 30" wheels/tires.

A few weeks ago, Shock Therapy came out with a limiter strap kit for the front shocks on both the X (if I remember correctly) and R Talons. They don't have them for the rears yet because they believe the problem is much worse on the front, I'll take their word for it. Covid slowed availability and I finally got the e-mail saying they're in, so I placed my order- they arrived 30 minutes ago.

Availability at this time is the R 2 seat, X4 LV and R 2 seat with Fox RC2 Shox.

There's a good how to video on their site, link in third post.

Super packing for a SxS part IMO -

So ... izzit OK iffn these gave me a woodie? 😊

Last edited:
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Very nice looking pieces! I am looking forward to the installation and ride reports!

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had to lower (tighten) my preload rings 1-1/2 turns or clearance the shock head with a round file. The interference was a square corner but that may have created a stress riser, a round nick is less so. But I chose to lower the preload to avoid that potential issue. I'll try to get a photo on the other side tomorrow.

For anyone that remembers, I've raised my crossovers 'a lot', 17 turns and I still haven't damaged the telltale zip ties (details linked in my sig for the curious). That almost caused me a bit of trouble because the preload ran into the top of the top crossover ring, so they're bottomed together - trivia that won't affect 99.99% of you.

A weirdness happened - the two halves wouldn't fit on the shock body by a few thousandths. But while I was getting frustrated, one cap just suddenly fit itself on. Since I wasn't ready yet, I took it back off. :oops: And, nope, it wouldn't go back on when I wanted it to. 😥 Not a problem, the 4 allen heads are long enough to pull the two halves together, so it's a snug press fit. I have no idea how it went on that one time. My point, they'll pull together just fine, so don't freak yerself out. Just tighten all 4 bolts evenly, a bit at a time.

Technically, it's an easy job although the 4 shock bolts are really tight and I'm not quite sure how my shock covers are going to get along with the limiters, I'll look when I'm rested. I got one side done and decided to finish tomorrow instead of 'working tired' - BTDT and broke something.

I tried to 'clock' my springs at 180* but they weren't havin' none of that. :confused:

Shock Therapy's how to video on the install -

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Recieved mine about 2 weeks ago and installation took about an hour. I am running 32's so the clunk was Very Pronounced on mine. Went out for a 4 hour test ride and do not feel or hear any front end Clunk anymore! I have to say the limit straps are one of the Best mods (accessories) I have done to my Talon, right up there with the Air Intake, Exhaust, and Tires. I Highly recommend!!!

Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The interference I had on the RF shock was the same as the LF so both got the preload rings turned 1-1/2 turns tighter.

fwiw: As I mentioned above, I have my crossover rings raised 17 turns so I spend more time on the softer spring rate - the zip ties let me know if I've gone too far and the tender spring is coil binding - it's not and the crossovers are topped out against the preload rings.

Before -

After -

Last edited:
Reactions: IDIOT and Lil_Steve
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can these limit straps be used on a Talon X (non live valve) with 30" Tensor wheels all around. On the Shock Therapy web site I see Talon R and Talon X-4. I did not see anything for Talon X or Talon X live valve. I was also wondering about the comment regarding not needing rear shock limit straps. Can anyone else confirm is this is correct? Thanks in advance.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can these limit straps be used on a Talon X (non live valve) with 30" Tensor wheels all around. On the Shock Therapy web site I see Talon R and Talon X-4. I did not see anything for Talon X or Talon X live valve. I was also wondering about the comment regarding not needing rear shock limit straps. Can anyone else confirm is this is correct? Thanks in advance.
I’m not sure but I think the X4 uses the same shocks as the X so those should work. I’d call ST, they’re very reachable.

I’ve had the limiter straps on the front of my R for about 1000 miles and have heard no top out clunking so I don’t think they’re needed for the rear on an R. ST has since added rear limiters for the R, for whatever reason, some guys just have to have all the cool sh!t.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't understand any of this "clunking" you guys hear in your shocks. These Fox shocks come from the factory with top out springs below the pistons on the shafts inside the shock. These limit straps are a gimmic to get you to spend stupid money on something that shoud cost less than $100 if you REALLY needed to install some.

Picture of top out springs that were removed from my shocks when they were set up by Double E Racing........ Shorter springs are the fronts and the longer ones are the rears.
20210227 142408

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't understand any of this "clunking" you guys hear in your shocks. These Fox shocks come from the factory with top out springs below the pistons on the shafts inside the shock. These limit straps are a gimmic to get you to spend stupid money on something that shoud cost less than $100 if you REALLY needed to install some.
You don't understand because your machine is so far from stock that you don't experience it.

It does not occur with stock shocks/tires/wheels/ride height but once you start changing things, it starts and the more you fiddle, the worse it can get, but only up front. The main culprits are heavier tires/wheels, raised suspension/lift kits and new springs (without shock revalve). Those tiny rebound springs are not stiff enough to stop the extra weight and the rebound springs bind/bottom out and cause a "thump". Mine started when I put 30's on and got worse when I installed ST spring kit. After the Weller Racing revalve, it got a little better but is still there.

As far as spending money, I will never drop another dime at ST. Like you said, you can make your own straps for much cheaper. I made front and rear (more about the reason for the rear below) for about $150 total. If you are innovative enough, you can even make them adjustable for a few dollars more.

Rear straps are not required, they don't thump. However, most of the bucking on the R is caused by the rear suspension geometry at (or near) full droop, it goes into a +100% Anti-Squat (about 130%) and that causes bucking as you come off the jump and your suspension goes into a droop situation. The only way to eliminate it is to fix the geometry by changing the front of the link attaching points but that would be a lot of work. Another way is to lower the machine and slow the rebound way down (like you and Hess have done by the looks of some video I watched) so when coming off a jump, the rear doesn't rebound fast enough and have a chance to go into bad geometry before the wheels come off the ground but this is not practical for anything but short track racing.

This brings us to the 3rd (easiest) option, limit the droop of the rear suspension. If you stop the rear suspension before it gets over 100% Anti-Squat, you reduce the bucking. As an experiment, I put straps on my rear suspension that limit the Anti-Squat to about 100%. My R jumps completely differently with much less bucking with the straps installed so I use them for the dunes. I remove them when rock crawling because I want the travel back and the 130% Anti-Squat is great for crawling.

H

HondaTech

Picture of top out springs that were removed from my shocks when they were set up by Double E Racing........ Shorter springs are the fronts and the longer ones are the rears.View attachment 267484

Agreed

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
advertisement
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks to everyone who responded for the information. It was very helpful. I better understand my options now.

Reactions: CID
A

AnthonyAce

May 7, 2018
Hurricane Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just added ST springs and 31" Terrabites and there is a definite clunk now. Their strap kit is a little pricey, but I'm definitely getting straps one way or another.
20210911 173817

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!