BOX1

Talon headlight output

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Been thinking of upgrading the stock Talon headlights, but wonder how much the stock lights put out? Anyone? Has anyone installed the Baja design squadron sport or squadron pro kit?

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Has anyone installed the Baja design squadron pro or sport lights on a Talon yet? Just curious if it’s really worth the $$.

Reactions: Ddoggy
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have only seen them on the Honda Talon Race Team...

Reactions: Ddoggy
Ddoggy

Ddoggy

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven’t seen these other than on the Utub .....but I am not overly impressed with the factory lights...being in Alaska winters it gets pretty dark lol...they proud of the kit for sure$$ ...(.but it’s so cool peeps here are able to post links like that👍👍👍)...but if it outputs like they describe and eliminated other light bars could be sweet. Looks killer! Installing some Rigid Reflect mirrors this weekend. Hope you get more input on this thread, very interested in this kit and the benefits. Cheers from AK49🍻

Reactions: IDIOT
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went ahead and upgraded my Talon headlights to the way over priced Baja Design Squadron pro kit for the Talon. I was undecided between the sport or the pro, but after finally finding a couple of videos, I went with the pros. I also put a Vision X light bar up top. I did add an additional battery and dual volt meter to keep track of both batteries. When traveling @ 2000-3000 rpm the main battery shows 13.5 and the aux. battery shows 13 volts with all of the lights on. I think the light bar uses 210 watts and each of the 4 Squadron pro’s use 46 watts each. We will see this next week in the dunes how the batteries hold up and how much daylight they will produce. I have never been a fan of amber lights in the past, but got some covers to try. The Oregon dunes frequently get foggy at night, so I will put them to the test.

Reactions: Ddoggy and CID
LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
Public service announcement for those that pop in to read this thread: The OEM headlights are most undoubtedly pointed in to the ground from the factory. Mine were severely misadjusted. They are easily adjusted by turning the bottom screw if you find yours out of alignment.

With regard to brightness, I installed some Xprite LED side mirrors that are rated at 45 Watts each (9 5W LEDs per mirror) and even after adjusting headlights, with side mirrors on, turning on my headlights is almost an imperceptable change. The Talon headlights are serviceable but certainly nothing to write home about.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went ahead and upgraded my Talon headlights to the way over priced Baja Design Squadron pro kit for the Talon. I was undecided between the sport or the pro, but after finally finding a couple of videos, I went with the pros. I also put a Vision X light bar up top. I did add an additional battery and dual volt meter to keep track of both batteries. When traveling @ 2000-3000 rpm the main battery shows 13.5 and the aux. battery shows 13 volts with all of the lights on. I think the light bar uses 210 watts and each of the 4 Squadron pro’s use 46 watts each. We will see this next week in the dunes how the batteries hold up and how much daylight they will produce. I have never been a fan of amber lights in the past, but got some covers to try. The Oregon dunes frequently get foggy at night, so I will put them to the test.
I see a couple things that pop out in your post. As I remember from your other posts, you are not running an isolator so your voltages should not be that different. You may want to check and see if the wires from the main battery to the second are sufficient. A minimum of 8 gauge should be used between the 2 batteries if the aux battery is in the front. Even if you are running a relay based isolator like the TruAM, your voltages should be similar when both batteries are charging, even with a large load like that.

Second, that is almost 400 watts just in lights (if they are all on at the same time) and probably a little more due to voltage drop in the wiring. The charging system is pretty big on the Talon (700 watts at 5000 RPM) but the running engine probably takes up around 250 watts. With all the lights on, you are pushing the charging system almost to its max. 13 on the aux battery is almost net charging (12.7 is fully charged for a lead acid battery) so it is barely keeping up at that point. Any more accessories may put you in a discharge state.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you are wired correctly and running a good isolator to make sure your main battery doesn't go dead. The other beauty of the isolator is you can always turn off something and allow the aux battery to recharge.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
That’s great information to know. I am not adding any more accessories. My wires to the other battery are number six so I think they’re big enough.Thanks!

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I am running an isolator as well.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
It’s a voltage sensitive relay

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't ridden at night and will be next month. I have no idea how good the OEM's lights are. And I can't find light output for them. I expect I will need some more lighting. I don't know how much to add. I am thinking about side roll bar mounting. The light bars concern me with getting hit while going under/through tree branches. I'm not riding in sand dunes.

Reactions: Westersg
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did the Baja dual headlight Talon kit, and a Vision X light bar. I put the yellow lens covers on the Baja low beams and mounted the light bar under the roof and front roll bar. This will “hopefully” save the $1000 light bar if I happen to run out of talent and roll it! You would prolly have to add another battery to power both of them. They definitely light up the night.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I haven't ridden at night and will be next month. I have no idea how good the OEM's lights are. And I can't find light output for them. I expect I will need some more lighting. I don't know how much to add. I am thinking about side roll bar mounting. The light bars concern me with getting hit while going under/through tree branches. I'm not riding in sand dunes.
Stock headlights are good up to about 25MPH, with a decent pattern & coverage, so upgrades will depend on what kind of night riding you plan. The stock high beams will definitely piss off oncoming drivers. Since I like to go faster than 25, I added a pair of Baja Designs to the front bumper, and a pair of Rigid 10w to the lower windshield corners angled out to light up sharp corners. This setup puts good light where I need it without too much damage to the wallet or concern about the charging system.

Reactions: Doogle and CID
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Talon has great headlights from factory, high quality projector LED's. Just add a light bar and you're good to go. Don't mess with the stock ones imo.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Stock headlights are good up to about 25MPH, with a decent pattern & coverage, so upgrades will depend on what kind of night riding you plan. The stock high beams will definitely piss off oncoming drivers. Since I like to go faster than 25, I added a pair of Baja Designs to the front bumper, and a pair of Rigid 10w to the lower windshield corners angled out to light up sharp corners. This setup puts good light where I need it without too much damage to the wallet or concern about the charging system.
I ordered 2 60w LEDs that I will mount off the roll cage on each side of the windshield. I'm sure my old eyes will need more light than stock.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon x4
My nephew gave me a 20 inch nilight light bar . Bought a 11$ wiring harness And a 9$ Honda accessory plug . Didn’t expect much but it was free. Wired it up and took it out and I have to say it’s impressive.

Reactions: Doogle
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!