Talon Talons @ KOH

H

HondaTech

Honda Talon Factory Racing Squad Debuts At King Of The Hammers

Cars look really good, lots of interesting things to look at in the photos, I was especially interested in where they put the battery.

Honda Talon Factory Racing KOH TEST 2020 WEB WM 9801

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Is that the Jackson Racing terbski? Keep the pics coming. Are those tires what they are running for KOH? Tread doesn’t look very deep.

Reactions: Razorback
H

HondaTech

Is that the Jackson Racing terbski? Keep the pics coming. Are those tires what they are running for KOH? Tread doesn’t look very deep.

The terrain their traversing doesnt really call for deep, mud like tires. They need the most tread to contact the hard rocks and lake beds.

If you click on the link, they have plenty of pictures of the machines. I would assume that is the kit from Jackson as well.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The terrain their traversing doesnt really call for deep, mud like tires. They need the most tread to contact the hard rocks and lake beds.

If you click on the link, they have plenty of pictures of the machines. I would assume that is the kit from Jackson as well.

The article indicates that they are running Jackson turbos.

Steve

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4

In that type of racing, durability is everything. Followed by weight, then traction and handling.

If you look at specific rock or desert tires, the tread is usually pretty shallow, even compared to an LT. Less weight, less tread squirm, and usually better traction in rocks.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm mostly interested in the suspension. The shocks almost look like stock units, but I'd find that hard to believe. If they are, no doubt they have a ton of tuning done.

The trailing arms look slick, looks like they did a double shear bracket for the radius rods, but not the trailing arm mount.

The a arms look either like square tubing or formed plate.

Reactions: Plumber32
H

HondaTech

I'm mostly interested in the suspension. The shocks almost look like stock units, but I'd find that hard to believe. If they are, no doubt they have a ton of tuning done.

The trailing arms look slick, looks like they did a double shear bracket for the radius rods, but not the trailing arm mount.

The a arms look either like square tubing or formed plate.

The suspension arms are built by JsportUSA, same guys who make Ridgeline and Pilot stuff.

The color of the suspension decal looks like a Live Valve shock, with a manual adjuster instead of the electronic one and a different bladder end. The adjuster looks alot like what my GM has on his R model now.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4

Actually less than I thought, some of those name brand LED's are insanely expensive.

You guys seen the rigid adapt series?

ADAPT | Rigid Industries

Kinda cool actually, you can choose from 8 different patterns from flood to pencil beam OOOORRRRRR, you can ad a GPS module that automatically adjusts the beams by vehicle speed :eek:

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Actually less than I thought, some of those name brand LED's are insanely expensive.

You guys seen the rigid adapt series?

ADAPT | Rigid Industries

Kinda cool actually, you can choose from 8 different patterns from flood to pencil beam OOOORRRRRR, you can ad a GPS module that automatically adjusts the beams by vehicle speed :eek:

a little research finds the Baja Designs laser led lights reach out almost twice as far as my rigid E2. (Rigid adapt is 30% less than the rigid E2)

you can buy a 50” spot laser lightbar for 8 grand. :)

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
a little research finds the Baja Designs laser led lights reach out almost twice as far as my rigid E2. (Rigid adapt is 30% less than the rigid E2)

you can buy a 50” spot laser lightbar for 8 grand. :)

I'm actually not a huge rigid fan, they had a ton of issues with moisture intrusion (just like the Amazon/ebay lights for 1/10th of the cost) but from what I remember were not having great customer support on the issue.

Personally, I'll buy the best cheap lights I can, get half or better the performance for 1/10th of the cost. You just have to pay attention to the actual lense angle. Many will claim "spot beam" but have a 30* lense..... I had some mictuning 8" bars on my 4runner that I was very happy with for the money. Single row(low profile) 5w per led, and an 8* lense.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I'm actually not a huge rigid fan, they had a ton of issues with moisture intrusion (just like the Amazon/ebay lights for 1/10th of the cost) but from what I remember were not having great customer support on the issue.

Personally, I'll buy the best cheap lights I can, get half or better the performance for 1/10th of the cost. You just have to pay attention to the actual lense angle. Many will claim "spot beam" but have a 30* lense..... I had some mictuning 8" bars on my 4runner that I was very happy with for the money. Single row(low profile) 5w per led, and an 8* lense.

yep i recently put a 30” mictuning light bar on my wife’s minivan.
It’s a decent short range light.

we do a lot of 2-4 hour trips snowmobiling with night driving.

the 20” rigid E2 on my truck lights up the road for over a mile.

I have a pair of rigid SR2 hyperspot 4” lights on my talon that equal the 30” mictuning light bar.

$250 for the rigid vs $35 for the mictuning

i like cheap.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
yep i recently put a 30” mictuning light bar on my wife’s minivan.
It’s a decent short range light.

we do a lot of 2-4 hour trips snowmobiling with night driving.

the 20” rigid E2 on my truck lights up the road for over a mile.

I have a pair of rigid SR2 hyperspot 4” lights on my talon that equal the 30” mictuning light bar.

$250 for the rigid vs $35 for the mictuning

i like cheap.

Like I said, I wouldn't ever say the cheap lights are as good, but for the average Joe, it's hard to justify the price of the rigid.

I was close to buying some small bars that a member on another forum I am on was making, they were impressive for the size and I like supporting the little guy.

LilGreenMachine

LilGreenMachine

Dec 9, 2019
Auburn, WA
Ownership

1. Talon R
s***, should have bought a CF Moto instead of a Honda then :D

LOL, my first ride was a CFMOTO ZF1000 EX. High speed roll off an embankment ( a few degrees short of a cliff really) into trees, probably went over 4 to 5 times. Not a scratch on me or passenger (4 point harness FTW) and cage twisted up pretty good. Engine never even shut off, winched it right up (with stock winch) and drove it back to camp. Got a couple highlift jacks for some cage tuning and drove it gently the rest of the weekend.

It looks like a tonka toy next to the Talon, but served with honor as a first ride :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!