Talon Talon Maintenance

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Does anyone have any info or ideas on basic maintenance for the Talon? Air filter location, oil check and fill, oil filter location? My Rzr (800 S) is a bear to do even basic maintenance on, and I'm curious as to whether the Talon will be any easier. I also have a Honda Rincon, and it's a breeze to do these basic tasks in comparison to the Rzr.

Reactions: sharp
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have they released the parts diagrams yet? That might give you some idea until they actually hit the dealers and you can put your eyeballs on one.

Reactions: sharp and RideRed85
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have any info or ideas on basic maintenance for the Talon? Air filter location, oil check and fill, oil filter location? My Rzr (800 S) is a bear to do even basic maintenance on, and I'm curious as to whether the Talon will be any easier. I also have a Honda Rincon, and it's a breeze to do these basic tasks in comparison to the Rzr.
Oil filters are same location as the 1000.
Air filters are in the bed if I recall the pictures @Hondasxs posted ok a nekkid Talon.
I bet it will follow the same break-in procedure as the 1000.

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. Everything is the same as the Pioneer 1000. Filter access is right at the tire.

BUT...
ATTENTION DEALERS AND everyone else.

There are 3 drain plugs.
The rear 2 are for an oil change.
The front ONE is for sub trans.
They have different head sizes for a reason.
Please dont F it up like many have and forget to refill the sub trans after pulling all 3 for some reason.

Sorry. Had to say that as it will be a issue!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. Everything is the same as the Pioneer 1000. Filter access is right at the tire.

BUT...
ATTENTION DEALERS AND everyone else.

There are 3 drain plugs.
The rear 2 are for an oil change.
The front ONE is for sub trans.
They have different head sizes for a reason.
Please dont F it up like many have and forget to refill the sub trans after pulling all 3 for some reason.

Sorry. Had to say that as it will be a issue!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Any chance you can share with us where the dipsticks will be? or what needs to be removed for access?
I heard you had some secret decoder ring for this stuff.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I had an S and now the XP 1000. The XP is about as easy as it gets for all maintenance including all fluid changes. Polaris incremental changes have made big improvements overall. Fitment not so much. The CVT performs very well until it gets dirty or hot. Looking forward to the DC and no more CVT.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had an S and now the XP 1000. The XP is about as easy as it gets for all maintenance including all fluid changes. Polaris incremental changes have made big improvements overall. Fitment not so much. The CVT performs very well until it gets dirty or hot. Looking forward to the DC and no more CVT.

That's very true, the newer Rzr's are a lot easier for routine maintenance. As refined as the CVT has gotten, I'm looking forward to the smooth power of the DCT. Congrats on your Talon!

Reactions: Farmer
H

HondaTech

Any chance you can share with us where the dipsticks will be? or what needs to be removed for access?
I heard you had some secret decoder ring for this stuff.

The dipstick should be accessible under the right side rear fender, its in the same location as the P1k, but doesn't look like it has a panel to cover it like the P1K. The engine oil fill however will be accessible by removing a bed panel attached with 2 knobs sort of like the hood knobs on a P1K.

That same panel will need to be removed to get to the air filter, then the air filter lid has clips that hold it on. I do believe (judging by the pictures) thaty there are still bolts holding the actual air, filter in place though, most likely 5mm allen heads.

Like has been stated before, oil draining will be the same as P1K. Two 12mm heads near the rear of the unit, 1 that is angled slightly in the oil tank, the other (in the oil pan) is mounted horizontally. The sub transmission drain is a 17mm head more towards the middle of the machine.

Other fluids will be located under the front end (coolant and brake fluid). Battery is high up under the right rear fender.

Reactions: JTW
C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
The dipstick should be accessible under the right side rear fender, its in the same location as the P1k, but doesn't look like it has a panel to cover it like the P1K. The engine oil fill however will be accessible by removing a bed panel attached with 2 knobs sort of like the hood knobs on a P1K.

That same panel will need to be removed to get to the air filter, then the air filter lid has clips that hold it on. I do believe (judging by the pictures) thaty there are still bolts holding the actual air, filter in place though, most likely 5mm allen heads.

Like has been stated before, oil draining will be the same as P1K. Two 12mm heads near the rear of the unit, 1 that is angled slightly in the oil tank, the other (in the oil pan) is mounted horizontally. The sub transmission drain is a 17mm head more towards the middle of the machine.

Other fluids will be located under the front end (coolant and brake fluid). Battery is high up under the right rear fender.

You seem to have the grip on where things are located.. (I haven't seen you post it) but have you seen one in person yet? Reason I ask... how about snorkeling? The air intake seems fairly high which is nice.. but what about the vent lines? Any input on those?

H

HondaTech

You seem to have the grip on where things are located.. (I haven't seen you post it) but have you seen one in person yet? Reason I ask... how about snorkeling? The air intake seems fairly high which is nice.. but what about the vent lines? Any input on those?

My information is based on pictures of the Talon with no exterior bodywork.

We've also had a couple of online service and sales related classes on it as well. I'm sure the vents arent super high, probably similar to the P1K I'd assume.

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
My information is based on pictures of the Talon with no exterior bodywork.

We've also had a couple of online service and sales related classes on it as well. I'm sure the vents arent super high, probably similar to the P1K I'd assume.

Thats what I was figuring. Can't see the vent tubes on them (and I have a 500 so i'm not sure about the P1K). Oh well, I'll just have to wait until it gets here.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
The SXSblog.com video of the Talon shows the guys taking off the panel in the bed behind the seats. The air filter is behind it. You have the typical snap latches holding the cover on, and then the air filter is held in with several fasteners. All of it is up high and easy to get to. This part of the video is at the 13:55 mark.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Judging on the one I looked at today, service will be way easier than the 1000.
Dipsticks easily accessed, oil filters out in the open. Air filter easy access.
IMG 20190126 1328470
IMG 20190126 1326384
IMG 20190126 1328035

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: Chooglin
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very impressive, hard not to walk down to my dealer and plunk down a deposit.
You look it over pretty well? How about the rops and the welds?

Reactions: Chooglin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!