Talon Talon OEM Fabric Upper Doors - Missing Hardware

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
EDIT 1-20-2020: I would not recommend doing business with Ronnie's Mail Order / Ronnie's Cycle of Bennington in Bennington, VT.

RonniesMailOrder.com #1 Powersports Internet Superstore.

See my final post in the thread summarizing this charade.

----------------------

Long story short, I have a set of the Honda OEM Fabric Upper Doors for my Talon without the hardware.

I may have to divulge the full story behind this post at a later date as a "Buyer Beware" post. I purchased the doors from an online vendor, and my experience with them has not been favorable. I'm hoping they will make it right, but they are saying their hands are tied until January 2nd. My original order date was December 8th. The bottom line is I finally have the doors in my possession from this vendor, only without the little box inside the container from Honda that has the hardware pieces.

Does anyone know a way I can get part numbers for the missing items highlighted in the pictures below? Especially the hardware items like the clamps and fasteners. Thanks for any input.

Screen Shot 2019 12 26 at 51421 PM
Screen Shot 2019 12 26 at 51429 PM

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Go to your local dealer?

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Go to your local dealer?
I did, and they said the hardware kits aren't sold separately by Honda. They are usually more helpful than that, but I guess I should have bought them from them to begin with. Their price on the doors was higher than the web vendor even though I bought the Talon from them. I gave them an opportunity to price match, but they didn't want to.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Long story short, I have a set of the Honda OEM Fabric Upper Doors for my Talon without the hardware.

I may have to divulge the full story behind this post at a later date as a "Buyer Beware" post. I purchased the doors from an online vendor, and my experience with them has not been favorable. I'm hoping they will make it right, but they are saying their hands are tied until January 2nd. My original order date was December 8th. The bottom line is I finally have the doors in my possession from this vendor, only without the little box inside the container from Honda that has the hardware pieces.

Does anyone know a way I can get part numbers for the missing items highlighted in the pictures below? Especially the hardware items like the clamps and fasteners. Thanks for any input.

View attachment 172521
View attachment 172522
I thought @Hondasxs post parts list for everything

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X

That would be great! I searched their posts and didn't find it though. Do you have a link?

Reactions: BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Not any Talon stuff tho.

Dealers have access to a list of Accessory Replacement Parts. But many havent a clue where to find them and would rather tell you no then look it up.

The list I have is dated mid 2019. So it may not be updated yet.

Reactions: RideRed85 and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not any Talon stuff tho.

Dealers have access to a list of Accessory Replacement Parts. But many havent a clue where to find them and would rather tell you no then look it up.

The list I have is dated mid 2019. So it may not be updated yet.
Didn't know but thank you just trying to help him out

Reactions: RideRed85
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Dealers have access to a list of Accessory Replacement Parts.

Thanks to both of you for trying. I appreciate it. I'll check again with my dealer on a different day and may also try our local Fastenal.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I did, and they said the hardware kits aren't sold separately by Honda. They are usually more helpful than that, but I guess I should have bought them from them to begin with. Their price on the doors was higher than the web vendor even though I bought the Talon from them. I gave them an opportunity to price match, but they didn't want to.

sounds like they might be feeling butthurt.

call @HondaTech ?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

View attachment 172521
View attachment 172522

Most of what you'll need to get by can be picked up at a local hardware store (it won't be paint matched obviously, but I have a set as well and included the thread pitch below so you can try and source it locally).

• For the P and C clamps you could make some stainless steel cable clamps with rubberized coating work for the time being until the vendor can get you the hardware you need. The roll cage diameter is 2" so these could get you by: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01ISZLJBM/?tag=sxsweb24-20
  • Regarding the button head screws, they're 4mm button head Allen screws. The exact size of the button head screws are M6-1.0 (and then 16mm long and 20mm long per your parts list). A hardware store should also have flat and lock washers sized accordingly as well.
  • You can get by without the handle covers so you shouldn't really need to worry about those.

Here's an install/overview video of the doors from my channel you can reference if it may help clarify what's used where:

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here's an install/overview video of the doors from my channel you can reference if it may help clarify what's used where:

Thanks Jason, It was your video that I watched to see how the packaging was supposed to be situated from Honda. That whole corner where the doors themselves are angled was mangled, and the purchasing dealer repackaged and shipped them to me anyway. They assured me that the contents were fine. The small box for the hardware that's shown in your video just fell out somewhere between Honda and this dealer.

Thanks for the info on the fastener specs. As you said, I should be able to make do until the situation is sorted out. HondaTech is also trying to help as I'm not confident that this dealer will follow through.

IMG 1236

Reactions: jasond and BWAF
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got in all of the needed hardware from Amazon and our local hardware store. Tried to install the doors and am having trouble getting the lower C-Clamp location to work. It looks like the Honda C-Clamp would hook in the bracket on the door, wrap around the cage, then bolt to the bracket on the door opposite the side where the C-Clamp hooks. I tried it a couple ways with the 2" Clamps from Amazon, and no matter which way I routed and twisted it, the holes in the clamp wouldn't line up. I guess it's because a clamp really isn't supposed to go between the bracket and the roll cage at that point, so it changes the whole fitment of the mount. The upper P Clamp and the upper C Clamp came together without much hassle.

Everyone I've talked to (my own dealer included) says that Honda won't supply the parts kit separately from the doors. Other reliable contacts say I need to return the doors and start over, BUT this dealer I ordered from has a 20% restocking fee that they aren't budging from. They are saying they can get the hardware from Honda and just need (more) time. I also now have a case open with Honda Customer Support about reconciling the issue and helping with the poor business practices of the dealer.

IMG 1562

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just following up with this thread as the OP. I ordered my Talon Upper Doors on 12-8-19 and received the complete order on 1-17-20.

Quick Summary of Events:
  • Doors ordered 12-8-19.
  • Doors shipped from Honda to Ronnie's Mail Order / Ronnies Cycle of Bennington, Vermont.
  • Parcel was damaged between Honda and Ronnie's. Severely damaged - the side was ripped off of the box (see photos in the thread above). So bad that the hardware box fell out and was lost.
  • Ronnie's shipped the damaged parcel to me anyway and assured me that the contents were fine. Several days had passed, and I had inquired as to why there was a long delay with shipping my order.
  • Doors delivered to me 12-24-19 without the Honda hardware box.
  • Ronnie's insisted that they could get the hardware box from Honda even though HondaTech here on the forum and the Honda Customer Service rep I contacted said that shipping the hardware box separately simply wasn't going to happen. It doesn't work that way in the Honda system at this time. Later, maybe the parts / hardware for accessories will be available separately with their own part numbers.
  • I asked Ronnie's to simply let me return the doors, but they insisted on a 20% restocking fee.
  • After three weeks of back and forth, Ronnie's finally admitted they could not get the box of hardware separately from Honda.
  • After all this Ronnie's orders another set of doors from Honda. Once that arrives at their facility, they open the box and ship just the hardware box to me to complete my order.
  • Honda hardware parcel arrives at my door step on 1-17-2020
The doors are nice! Glad to have them for the Winter. But I'll never do business with this company again. Their mindset is profit first and customer last, even when they have made a mistake. The whole time it just felt like bad business. So be careful if you decide to have dealings with them. Thanks everyone that commented.

Reactions: jasond
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hate that you had to go through that whole fiasco, but glad you got things sorted out.

J

Josh Daniel

Apr 30, 2015
EDIT 1-20-2020: I would not recommend doing business with Ronnie's Mail Order / Ronnie's Cycle of Bennington in Bennington, VT.

RonniesMailOrder.com #1 Powersports Internet Superstore.

See my final post in the thread summarizing this charade.

----------------------

View attachment 172521
View attachment 172522
I know this post is old. We’re you able to find replacement parts for the doors. I need a new window and don’t want to buy a set of doors again

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!