Talon Talon R owners ??

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone with an R ride Windrock and Royal Blue on a regular bassis?

Would you buy the R again or the X.

90% of our riding is in these areas and ledges and climbs are more prevalent than tight tree trails.

Stability is biggest concern. Wife is about had it with the P 1K. It spends way too much time with the front in the air and on cable due to being tippy.

We are looking at the R.

Does the Talon suffer from need of an IGR for bigger tires as well?

Reactions: BWAF
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have climbed some pretty steep and rocky hills with mine. It possibly gives you a false sense of security. It never feels tippy at all to me. I am still running the stock tires and wheels.

Reactions: Ragnar406 and BWAF
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I came from a utility type machine to a Talon R so I think I know what you mean by "tippy" feeling. For me, any time I articulated the suspension enough to bring 2 opposite wheels off the ground, it got tippy and I got nervous. The Talon has twice the suspension travel and I have yet to articulate it enough to get 2 wheels of the ground so I have not experienced any tipping (yet). Like MFG, I too have climbed some pretty steep hills with ease and never felt uncomfortable. A couple times during a sand hill climb with paddles I bogged down. It was so steep and I wasn't going fast enough that I couldn't turn around so I had to back down several hundred feet and never felt I was going to tip or flip.

Reverse and Low are REALLY low geared so bigger tires don't seem to affect the Talon to the point of needing IGR.

Reactions: Ragnar406
F

Former-X3-Lover

May 25, 2019
Southern States of Merica
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I ride Windrock and Royal Blue. Just got back from Royal Blue this past weekend. I think the R is great. I have rode trail 44, 57, 10, 14, and 12 at Windrock to give you some idea. No problems at all. Thing climbs like a billygoat. At Royal Blue, we rode the west side of 75. Did the Dragons Back on Friday. Did the Eternal Flame and then back to Dragons Back (downhill this time) with no problems at all. I ride with a group of RzR's. They have broke on the rides I described, axles, tie rods, a-arms, radius arms, and mid shaft carrier bearing. I have not broken anything. As of yet. Ride Red, come on!!

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
57? That is on my list! What is it like?
I have done all those other and almost all the left side of the park. Lot of winching in some of the ledges.

We did 84,9,14,11, part of 12, 17, and part of 7 last weekend.
14 has been reworked and is highway compared to a few months ago.

7 had a bad gulley and a downhill ledge we did not attempt. Had to go back up the gulley and rear slides in and front goes to the sky in the Pioneer.

We went down WidowMaker this spring in Royal Blue. That was interesting.

Reactions: TripleB
F

Former-X3-Lover

May 25, 2019
Ownership

1. Other Brand
57. Well plan on a long ride. Its great though. We go to the flats and come in from 58 I believe. We don't go thru the devils elbow. One rock at the bottom of the elbow stops some of the riders in our group. We ride all or none. Ok, so lots of technical stuff, lots of mud holes, a little bit of climbing, lots of downhill with ruts. Deep ruts. Its a blast. The trail is 16 miles long so as I said earlier plan on a long day. But its worth it.

Reactions: Superthrill
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We went to Devils Elbow last month. We were by ourselves and decided not to risk it. That rock sticks way out now and in the Pioneer, you would get damage or cable the uphill side of your cage to sidehill.

Got to find someone to ride with... some of the ruts in Windrock are getting insanely deep.

Where do you park on the Flats side?

F

Former-X3-Lover

May 25, 2019
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We stay at Windrock Campground and ride to the flats. Some other trails are 18, 28, 27, 32, 31, and 8 if your around 11. We're going back the weekend of the 13th and 14th of December.

Reactions: Superthrill

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!