Talon R rear Axles

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello Everyone
Wonder if anyone has found a good rear axle that will hold up to running hard. First off I have tried many different ones. The Honda ones are the best but now they do not offer new rear in side CV replacements. Plus they stopped the front in side axle seal as well. Have three sets of Rhino 2.0. they do not last and a joke to try and get replaced when you have any problem. One was bad out of the box and SATV wanted 160.00 to replace. The snap ring inside comes loose and ends up in the CV area. Open Country last a little longer but still for only 3 to4 hundred miles. Monster lasted 10 miles on a flat dirt road and the inside boot split. Demon Xtreme HD went 75 miles and the boot split, and they are 400.$$ each.
I am doing open desert racing. Run limit straps that stop 3" before topping out. Have the Fox 3.0 one the rear. Now with stock Honda out has anyone found one that holds up to the extreme desert racing. Thank you to all.

20230418 121002

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
How many miles on the Honda axle?

amazing the perception the Chinese made rhinos are superior to stock Honda parts

Reactions: ODAMO
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 2019 Talon R has 37,480 miles on my stock axles. My buddy has the Rhino 2.0 rear axles, and they are holding up ok so far. He has around 1,000 miles on them.

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello Everyone
Wonder if anyone has found a good rear axle that will hold up to running hard. First off I have tried many different ones. The Honda ones are the best but now they do not offer new rear in side CV replacements. Plus they stopped the front in side axle seal as well. Have three sets of Rhino 2.0. they do not last and a joke to try and get replaced when you have any problem. One was bad out of the box and SATV wanted 160.00 to replace. The snap ring inside comes loose and ends up in the CV area. Open Country last a little longer but still for only 3 to4 hundred miles. Monster lasted 10 miles on a flat dirt road and the inside boot split. Demon Xtreme HD went 75 miles and the boot split, and they are 400.$$ each.
I am doing open desert racing. Run limit straps that stop 3" before topping out. Have the Fox 3.0 one the rear. Now with stock Honda out has anyone found one that holds up to the extreme desert racing. Thank you to all.

View attachment 387710
Rear inside CV parts are no longer available?!?! :( I just replaced my LR inner a few months ago.

I wVPrjdM S

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

Hello Everyone

View attachment 387710

We've gotten axles warrantied not that long ago, if that's what you mean. We had popping axles in our race car forever and they've never failed. We even cryoheat treat the joints and they still make noise after sitting.

If your just looking for inner joints, there still avaliable like @CID said.

Have you tried getting ahold of Jamie at RaceCo, they might know something, they do Baja and other desert races. That's who we got our 300M shafts from.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
The Rhino 2.0 I put in after going to see the Devil at Windrock has clicked like a crackhead with Tourrete's since the moment we put it in. Brand new out of the box. Made the rest of that ride and a couple trips to the mud park, and still clicking like crazy. I know @Hometeam had one (and might still) that he couldn't kill but it sounded like someone sending Morse code every time he pressed the gas pedal. The Rhino 2.0 I put in at Takeover last year on my driver rear has been great.

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
The Rhino 2.0 I put in after going to see the Devil at Windrock has clicked like a crackhead with Tourrete's since the moment we put it in. Brand new out of the box. Made the rest of that ride and a couple trips to the mud park, and still clicking like crazy. I know @Hometeam had one (and might still) that he couldn't kill but it sounded like someone sending Morse code every time he pressed the gas pedal. The Rhino 2.0 I put in at Takeover last year on my driver rear has been great.
I do still have it but not in a Talon. It got to annoying so I put a factory one back in. I got Demon hd extremes to try out next. I have a Rhino on the passenger side still.

J

JumptChaneAZ

Hello Everyone

View attachment 387710
Maybe make a call to J Sport and ask them what they think? It might be that there really isn't a good option and you will just have to consider axles a wear part that needs to be replaced at an interval determined by your own experience. From what I could gather from your post, stock appears to be the leader at this point. I get it, some pills are hard to swallow and desert racing is pretty brutal when it comes to testing components.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!