highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I started looking at the options for a new shifter knob online and there just isn't much out there. Nearly all available shifter knobs are adaptations of a RZR knob! So now armed with a 3d printer, and as part of the Fusion 360 learning process, I'm beginning with a simple design then find out where this leads. This is what I do during lunch at my day job!!

Learning Fusion is a slow, frustrating process but every time I use it I try to expand my skills. At least the command names are mostly the same at Autocad for me.

This 3d printer is turning out to be pretty fun to tinker with new ideas! Once I wrap this design up and export as an STL file. I'll be able to print it and test it.

Talon shifter knob v5

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This model is more complete. Interested to print one this weekend and see that it looks like in person.

Designed to split in half fitting around the form of the shift lever. I'm certain I'll need to make adjustments but this should be pretty close to working.

This was a hybrid model. I'm not completely fluent in Fusion so some things I can draw MUCH quicker in Autocad then import into Fusion to finish details.
Talon shifter knob v7

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Keep after learning Fusion 360. I know a gifted machinist who knows several CAD programs and absolutely loves and swears by Fusion, saying it combines the best features from several programs as an all in one program.

I like the idea of using a setscrew to secure the knob instead of a friction fit. 👍

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This will actually be a compression fit, sandwiching the two halves with bolts and nuts. There is a very small tab on the shift lever flat part that should act as a key way to keep the knob in place. I've allowed for that fit in the model.

Some of the "adapted to Talon" knobs that I've seen online require the flat part of the shift lever be cut off so the round shaft can be used and secured with a set screw. I want this to be a simple install.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This will actually be a compression fit, sandwiching the two halves with bolts and nuts. There is a very small tab on the shift lever flat part that should act as a key way to keep the knob in place. I've allowed for that fit in the model.

Some of the "adapted to Talon" knobs that I've seen online require the flat part of the shift lever be cut off so the round shaft can be used and secured with a set screw. I want this to be a simple install.
Yeah, I'd be real hesitant to cut my shift lever. 👎

Reactions: Gohonda2
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
R&D has been on fast track this week!!
2A307154 24D1 4D31 89EC 9BE16737C701

29B4CE86 A119 40B5 8E38 6EF538ED8365

My wife says she doesn’t like it but she’s resistant to changes to anything. It’s 2.5” diameter. To me it seems a little large. I might try 2.25” diameter. Since I often drive left handed with my right hand on the shifter I find it more comfy than the stock knob at all positions to rest my hand on.

I’ll ride around with it for a little while and see how I like it.

I did have to get the dremel out on this first one and tune on it! But it mostly fit like expected.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey grade "A" for the effort. Now you know how to make the first prototype, go for the seond one with improvement. Thanks for sharing. What 3D printer are you using?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Flashforge adventure 4. I just got it last month to help with things like this to get ideas out of my head into reality. It works good enough for me. I like the fact that it’s enclosed and basically ready to go. My buddy has an ender 3 but sounds like he’s had to modify parts and tweak a lot of things to get it running right. I don’t have time for that. I don’t want to work on the printer, I want to use it.

Reactions: Smittyp and CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Well, thanks to the Flashforge Users Facebook group, I've learned that I can print TPU (flexable urethane) with my Adventure 4 printer. So, I've made some revisions to this Talon shifter knob so It can be one piece and slide on (or beat on) like the OEM shifter knob. If this works, it will open the door to any kind of Talon/P1000 shifter knob I can think of! This kind of nerdy stuff is exciting to me!! I hope these will print fine. TPU filament is on the Amazon truck!

I had already reduced the ball size from 2.5" diameter to 2.25" diameter to match the size of the classic 8 ball car shifter.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Well, thanks to the Flashforge Users Facebook group, I've learned that I can print TPU (flexable urethane) with my Adventure 4 printer. So, I've made some revisions to this Talon shifter knob so It can be one piece and slide on (or beat on) like the OEM shifter knob. If this works, it will open the door to any kind of Talon/P1000 shifter knob I can think of! This kind of nerdy stuff is exciting to me!! I hope these will print fine. TPU filament is on the Amazon truck!

I had already reduced the ball size from 2.5" diameter to 2.25" diameter to match the size of the classic 8 ball car shifter.
I was going to suggest trying TPU. My buddy races FPV drones and prints all sorts of stuff in TPU for those things and it seems to print really well even in small scale stuff. I like the shifter knob! Keep up the good work