Talon touchscreen

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone heard if there are plans for future talons to have the touchscreen like the razors? That's all that's holding me back from pulling the trigger one one. I'd hate to buy one and then the next year they catch up with Polaris' tech.
I doubt honda will ever do anything like that lol. My sister had a 2018 rzr with the screen and it was nice but remember its something else that's bound to break.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I hear ya. But that would be just my luck they do something similar after I get a prior one. My buddy has one and it's a lot better than constantly checking GAIA on my phone when I'm wandering down new territory.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone heard if there are plans for future talons to have the touchscreen like the razors? That's all that's holding me back from pulling the trigger one one. I'd hate to buy one and then the next year they catch up with Polaris' tech.
Honda needs to do something, the current instrument cluster is beyond useless. The curved lens makes it unreadable in day light, add dust and forget it. Location sucks, needs to move above the steering wheel and how can you compete with ride command?

polaris has onboard gps mapping and you can form a group seeing all the riders in your group if in Polaris ride command.

I just hope some after market will allow other systems to work with ride command so that non rzrs can participate.

I really want live valve, but I hope that Honda makes some serious improvements to the Talon, bigger gas tank, rear suspension re-design, air intake re- design, remap accelerator pedal for longer push to eliminate jumpy throttle, gear transmission for 30” or 32” tires. Larger passenger compartment. Better power steering.

I want to see the actual coolant temperature, not idiot lights, I want to see a tach, not a sliding bar scale. I want a gas gauge that actually shows how much fuel you have not show 3/4 tank or more at 90 Miles, then in 10-20 miles show empty.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I really want live valve, but I hope that Honda makes some serious improvements to the Talon, bigger gas tank, rear suspension re-design, air intake re- design, remap accelerator pedal for longer push to eliminate jumpy throttle, gear transmission for 30” or 32” tires. Larger passenger compartment. Better power steering.
😎😎😎

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda needs to do something, the current instrument cluster is beyond useless. The curved lens makes it unreadable in day light, add dust and forget it. Location sucks, needs to move above the steering wheel and how can you compete with ride command?

polaris has onboard gps mapping and you can form a group seeing all the riders in your group if in Polaris ride command.

I just hope some after market will allow other systems to work with ride command so that non rzrs can participate.

I want to see the actual coolant temperature, not idiot lights, I want to see a tach, not a sliding bar scale. I want a gas gauge that actually shows how much fuel you have not show 3/4 tank or more at 90 Miles, then in 10-20 miles show empty.
Lol! Nice summary. So it looks like I'll just ride out my pioneer 1k5 for a while till Talon catches up. Sounds like so far the only thing they have on razors is not having to change a $600 drive belt every now and then.
Disclaimer: I'm sure there are other advantages to a Talon. I may be generalizing.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lol! Nice summary. So it looks like I'll just ride out my pioneer 1k5 for a while till Talon catches up. Sounds like so far the only thing they have on razors is not having to change a $600 drive belt every now and then.
Disclaimer: I'm sure there are other advantages to a Talon. I may be generalizing.
I have driven a p1000, the R is quite a bit different I hope you get a chance to drive one.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Rubicon last updated 2006, need I say more........

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love my p 1k5 but now that my kids are all old enough to drive their own atvs I'd like to get into a 2 seater X. Again, I would hate to drop that coin and then a year or 2 later they come out with one with alllllll the bells and whistles. I'm not much of a honey mooner when it comes to $25k+ machines. My '16 1k5 (which I bought as a closeout in June of '17) has almost 8k miles on it and still going strong. My next upgrade I would want to keep around for 5+ years.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Love my p 1k5 but now that my kids are all old enough to drive their own atvs I'd like to get into a 2 seater X. Again, I would hate to drop that coin and then a year or 2 later they come out with one with alllllll the bells and whistles. I'm not much of a honey mooner when it comes to $25k+ machines. My '16 1k5 (which I bought as a closeout in June of '17) has almost 8k miles on it and still going strong. My next upgrade I would want to keep around for 5+ years.
If you are not width limited, get the R. The ride difference is substantial. I drove both before I bought. Honda had a factory trail test drive at Moab. I mean a no BS fast, over rough spots..use the machine. The X rode like my Polaris rzr/s 800, where the R rode better than my Polaris rzr 1000 with custom suspension. The difference is the R has long travel suspension. Also get it with the live valve. the computer adjusts the rebound and compression many times per second. Switching to sport mode removes body roll and makes over dips or rough areas much smoother without jarring you. That is the one you’ll keep for years. Re-valaving and different springs takes it to the next level.

I have had mine just under 2 years and have 6k miles. The only reason I am thinking about selling it is, I want the live valve suspension. It wasn’t available until the 2021 model. If I had live valve, it would be a 20k mile machine, and yes I think it would do that mileage. My rzr 1000 was wearing out at 11k.

i am not holding my breath on Honda making sweeping improvements, nor do they give much update on coming changes. If I were to give you advice, don’t wait on getting what you want. On the other hand right now is not a good time to buy because of supply disruptions due to COVID-19 and massive demand for sxs’s.

so next year, when supply catches up with demand you will have better choices and prices. If that takes until next summer then maybe wait for the 2023 models to see if there are any new features that make you happy. If not then look for close out deals on the 2022 models. My 2 cents. As for me what I will probably do is spend $13-1400 on a suspension upgrade (re-valve and springs) and keep my 2020 until I see what the 2023 models have. I’ll probably have 10k miles be then😎🤪🤣👍🏻

Last edited:
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are not width limited, get the R. The ride difference is substantial. I drove both before I bought. Honda had a factory trail test drive at Moab. I mean a no BS fast, over rough spots..use the machine. The X rode like my Polaris rzr s 800, where the R rode better than my Polaris rzr 1000 with custom suspension. The difference is the R has long travel suspension. Also get it with the live valve. the computer adjusts the rebound and compression many times per second. Switching to sport mode removes body roll and makes over dips or rough areas much smoother without jarring you. That is the one you’ll keep for years. Re-valaving and different springs takes it to the next level.

I have had mine just under 2 years and have 6k miles. The only reason I am thinking about selling it is, I want the live valve suspension. It wasn’t available until the 2021 model. If I had live valve, it would be a 20k mile machine, and yes I think it would do that mileage. My rzr 1000 was wearing out at 11k.

i am not holding my breath on Honda making sweeping improvements, nor do they give much update on coming changes. If I were to give you advice, don’t wait on getting what you want. On the other hand right now is not a good time to buy because of supply disruptions due to COVID-19 and massive demand for sxs’s.

so next year, when supply catches up with demand you will have better choices and prices. If that takes until next summer then maybe wait for the 2022 models to see if their are any new features that make you happy. If not then look for close out deals on the 2021 models. My 2 cents. As for me what I will probably do is spend $13-1400 on a suspension upgrade (re-valve and springs) and keep my 2020 until I see what the 2023 models have. I’ll probably have 10k miles be then😎🤪🤣👍🏻
Thanks for the advice and info. I just figured since I'm all trail with some of them sort of tight the X would be better. Sounds like the R is my way to go. And yes it would be at the earliest '22 before I started getting serious.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just a heads up about the Live valve option..... It only adjusts the compression side of the shock. It does not adjust the rebound side. In order for that system to adjust rebound there would have to be another stepper motor mounted to the bottom shock rod end itself and the shaft would have to be the hollow rebound adjustable type like the ones with manual rebound adjustment.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I had the 2017 Ride Command edition before I bought my Pioneer and for what it's worth I thought it was about useless. The screen was shiny but the functionality of the ride command depends on cellular signal... So unless you're riding in a place that has great service you're not able to see where your friends are at. You could track your own ride, and that worked about 50% of the time but the functionality of the group riding feature was completely dependent on cellular signal.

You can also download ride command in the app store so you can put it on any tablet or phone that you're riding with and achieve the same thing it's just not built into the dash. Just my 2c. Great idea- functionally useless where we ride.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just a heads up about the Live valve option..... It only adjusts the compression side of the shock. It does not adjust the rebound side. In order for that system to adjust rebound there would have to be another stepper motor mounted to the bottom shock rod end itself and the shaft would have to be the hollow rebound adjustable type like the ones with manual rebound adjustment.
Oh, good to know, my mistake. I wonder if Fox makes a lower with adjustable fast and slow rebound that you could set and work with the live valve compression? 🤔

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the 2017 Ride Command edition before I bought my Pioneer and for what it's worth I thought it was about useless. The screen was shiny but the functionality of the ride command depends on cellular signal... So unless you're riding in a place that has great service you're not able to see where your friends are at. You could track your own ride, and that worked about 50% of the time but the functionality of the group riding feature was completely dependent on cellular signal.

You can also download ride command in the app store so you can put it on any tablet or phone that you're riding with and achieve the same thing it's just not built into the dash. Just my 2c. Great idea- functionally useless where we ride.
Yes, but the newest not only communicates car to car with out cellular service, when you get home it connects to your wifi so you can upload or download tracks and update ride command. Makes it real easy to share tracks from rides. No more thumb drive.

They also have massively increased the number of trails shown. When my buddy first started using his in late 2019 it showed almost no trails. Now he has most of the major ones I have on OnX off-road, but not all.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Yes, but the newest not only communicates car to car with out cellular service, when you get home it connects to your wifi so you can upload or download tracks and update ride command. Makes it real easy to share tracks from rides. No more thumb drive.

They also have massively increased the number of trails shown. When my buddy first started using his in late 2019 it showed almost no trails. Now he has most of the major ones I have on OnX off-road, but not all.

the same system is coming on my snowcheck Polaris 2022 Matryx Slash Boost 850.

It even tells you if your buddies sled is running or not.

And how long it has been motionless.

You can send messages to each other without cellular service.

Or anyone can buy a ride command tablet and carry it with an older machine or different brand. (This would be the solution for a Talon)

3B8BDAD6 7773 40DA 963B BC4B9D66D2BF

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
the same system is coming on my snowcheck Polaris 2022 Matryx Slash Boost 850.

It even tells you if your buddies sled is running or not.

And how long it has been motionless.

You can send messages to each other without cellular service.

Or anyone can buy a ride command tablet and carry it with an older machine or different brand. (This would be the solution for a Talon)

View attachment 279823
I was really tempted to do that but at $1500 that was a bit of coin. unless you are talking about something else?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I was really tempted to do that but at $1500 that was a bit of coin. unless you are talking about something else?

Yeah it’s steep.

The phone app is free but only communicates with cellular service. (It tracks your own path via gps though)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!