highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Ordered a Twin Air Talon filter kit to see if it's something I want to sell through my business. I had one person from this forum contact me about these with a concern of screw hole misalignment between the mounting flange and air box.

Last night I finally got around to trying to install the Twin Air Talon filter kit, which includes the foam filter element and a nice orange aluminum mounting flange but no screws. Instructions say to reuse the OEM screws.

I put the foam filter in place then tried to attach the mounting flange but lining up the foam screw holes, flange screw holes, and air box screw holes proved be be slightly difficult due to the foam being so flexible. So I backed up and tried only installing the flange to check the screw hole alignment. The forum member was correct about misalignment. I reused the OEM screws and sleeves but was only able to get 4 of the 8 screws inserted! Using the sleeve, the screw hole in the mounting flange has to be perfect, and these were not. Without the sleeve all the screws might go into place but I don't think that is the correct installation. The screw sleeves were the same depth as the mounting plate so filter clamp down should not be a problem.

Also I'm surprised that this filter doesn't have a supporting cage like many dirt bike and atv filter. Seems like this huge Talon filter would be even more susceptible to collapsing from engine vacuum than small round filters.

Someone else on the forum stated that the factory Honda race teams use these Twin Air filters. If they do then they are not very picky about fitment. I would not spend $167 on this air filter and still have to ream out holes to mount it. That's terrible design and quality control when you can trace the OEM hole locations to nail them down perfectly.

I've contacted Twin Air about this problem and sent the pictures that I will be attaching after this initial post. I asked Twin Air if this fitment has been addressed and will post their response here.

So I'm up in the air about this filter option. I have concerns but if anyone wants these filters I will be able to get them.

Edit: For the time being I'll continue to run my OEM filter with the Desertcraft Foam Buddy as I continue to tinker with my snorkel pre filter setup. The OEM and Desertcraft Foam Buddy seem to work well together and is a simple solution to extending OEM filter life. I've decided that my winter project this year will be to perfect my pre filter setup. The only solution to getting clean intake air is to get it from a different location! I have a new concept in my head to work out and I think this could be a winner. Fingers crossed that I can make it happen. I enjoy figuring this stuff out!!!

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
0C9DEF86 FF77 45CD AAAA 88C93BB22251

E2481603 FB7B 44D9 B55C E09E219F63E1

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wonder if the airbox changes dimensions with temperature changes enough to cause this problem?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You're right, good point. 👍

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had similar fitment issues with the R2C mounting flange and marked the spots that would need to be elongated in order for the screws to go in straight. When I did a test fit with the screws that did line up, I wasn't happy with how easy the outer material squished with light pressure from tightening the screws, I figured tightening it down enough for me to not be concerned about the screws walking out would result in an improper seal, or I'd have to use Loctite on them. Like you, I didn't think I should have to ream holes in the flange in order to have proper fitment and I lost confidence in the product, so I shelved it. It been almost a year and a half and the R2C kit is still on the shelf. In hindsight, after seeing the relatively recent R2C filter issues, I'm glad I did.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Ordered a Twin Air Talon filter kit to see if it's something I want to sell through my business. I had one person from this forum contact me about these with a concern of screw hole misalignment between the mounting flange and air box.

Last night I finally got around to trying to install the Twin Air Talon filter kit, which includes the foam filter element and a nice orange aluminum mounting flange but no screws. Instructions say to reuse the OEM screws.

I put the foam filter in place then tried to attach the mounting flange but lining up the foam screw holes, flange screw holes, and air box screw holes proved be be slightly difficult due to the foam being so flexible. So I backed up and tried only installing the flange to check the screw hole alignment. The forum member was correct about misalignment. I reused the OEM screws and sleeves but was only able to get 4 of the 8 screws inserted! Using the sleeve, the screw hole in the mounting flange has to be perfect, and these were not. Without the sleeve all the screws might go into place but I don't think that is the correct installation. The screw sleeves were the same depth as the mounting plate so filter clamp down should not be a problem.

Also I'm surprised that this filter doesn't have a supporting cage like many dirt bike and atv filter. Seems like this huge Talon filter would be even more susceptible to collapsing from engine vacuum than small round filters.

Someone else on the forum stated that the factory Honda race teams use these Twin Air filters. If they do then they are not very picky about fitment. I would not spend $167 on this air filter and still have to ream out holes to mount it. That's terrible design and quality control when you can trace the OEM hole locations to nail them down perfectly.

I've contacted Twin Air about this problem and sent the pictures that I will be attaching after this initial post. I asked Twin Air if this fitment has been addressed and will post their response here.

So I'm up in the air about this filter option. I have concerns but if anyone wants these filters I will be able to get them.

Edit: For the time being I'll continue to run my OEM filter with the Desertcraft Foam Buddy as I continue to tinker with my snorkel pre filter setup. The OEM and Desertcraft Foam Buddy seem to work well together and is a simple solution to extending OEM filter life. I've decided that my winter project this year will be to perfect my pre filter setup. The only solution to getting clean intake air is to get it from a different location! I have a new concept in my head to work out and I think this could be a winner. Fingers crossed that I can make it happen. I enjoy figuring this stuff out!!!
Stock or walk……. 😂

• Haha
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Honda did a very good job of making these filters unable to be copied!!

If anybody would mate there good filter media to a hard plastic base with a sealing ridge on the airbox side like OEM they'd have it solved!!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I had similar fitment issues with the R2C mounting flange and marked the spots that would need to be elongated in order for the screws to go in straight. When I did a test fit with the screws that did line up, I wasn't happy with how easy the outer material squished with light pressure from tightening the screws, I figured tightening it down enough for me to not be concerned about the screws walking out would result in an improper seal, or I'd have to use Loctite on them. Like you, I didn't think I should have to ream holes in the flange in order to have proper fitment and I lost confidence in the product, so I shelved it. It been almost a year and a half and the R2C kit is still on the shelf. In hindsight, after seeing the relatively recent R2C filter issues, I'm glad I did.
When I got my R2C filter the holes were slightly off so I told them about it as a dealer. They said they would have the laser cutter flange supplier open the hole a little bit more. Even though the holes were a little off, I didn't have to ream them.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Response from Twin Air is to not use the OEM screw sleeves. They are updating instructions to include this.
They will also be making hole misalignment corrections soon with a new air box mock-up.
Sounds like design wasn't fully finished before they let these go. The screw sleeves fit perfectly in the plate if they correct the hole locations.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think the screw sleeves are a critical part of the assembly. Without them we'll be squishing the aluminum trying to keep the screws from falling out (on the unfiltered side of the airbox too :oops: ). If they recommend using Loctite, it's guaranteed that guys will get it on the plastic and Loctite murders some plastics, turning it brittle to the point of shattering. :eek:

Screw sleeve aka hat washer or collared washer -

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Response from Twin Air:

We worked with JSport SXS (Factory Honda Talon Racing Team) on this project and they’ve agreed that it’s fine to not use the spacers, just using the bolts. This gives enough tolerance to align the plate. We’ve seen some discrepancies in flexing on the OEM airbox that require the removal of the spacer.

The original airbox we tested on the plate fit perfectly with the spacers, J Sport had tested on various airboxes with no issues as well.

The foam does not collapse. J Sport did dyno and field testing for about 3 months before we released the kit.

BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
Response from Twin Air:

We worked with JSport SXS (Factory Honda Talon Racing Team) on this project and they’ve agreed that it’s fine to not use the spacers, just using the bolts. This gives enough tolerance to align the plate. We’ve seen some discrepancies in flexing on the OEM airbox that require the removal of the spacer.

The original airbox we tested on the plate fit perfectly with the spacers, J Sport had tested on various airboxes with no issues as well.

The foam does not collapse. J Sport did dyno and field testing for about 3 months before we released the kit.
That is just great but I am not running them without the spacers so now what? I find it hard to believe there are discrepancies in the stock airbox, I worked for Honda for many years and don't ever remember a part not fitting due to manufacturing discrepancies.

Reactions: Iowamike
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is just great but I am not running them without the spacers so now what? I find it hard to believe there are discrepancies in the stock airbox, I worked for Honda for many years and don't ever remember a part not fitting due to manufacturing discrepancies.
As large as the airbox is, I'm not really surprised that it's a bit dimensionally unstable. If my hondabob snorkel idea didn't work so well and I wanted to run a cleanable foam filter, the Twin Air would work for me. Knowing ahead that I might have to oval some of the holes wouldn't bother me 'too much', not enough to chase me away. I wouldn't run it without using the OEM washers.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I suppose you'll have to expand the flange holes to match the air box holes to where you can still use the spacers since you already have the filter.

I'll probably have to do the same to use the one I have. The holes seem too large with out the spacers in place.

Also, after wrestling with this filter to try it out but it didn't fit, I think the best way to install it is to put the screws and spacers in mounting plate, put the filter over the screws onto the mounting plate then place the whole assembly into final position. It's very difficult to get the filter holes to line up with the flange screws if you place the filter on the air box first. The foam flexes too much.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!