Texas Tough Talon X to R long travel kit ?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Greaseable johny joints last 50 times longer, and are rebuildable, to me coming as from jeep world, heims are a great way to cheap out

Johnny joints were made for the Jeep crowd who wanted a flexy suspension but not the vibrations involved with ultimate strength heim joints and that's all they are. Nothing magical and mostly made for the mall crawler crowd. Nobody in offroad racing including the rock crawler crowd is using Johnny Joints over high quality heims for the simple fact that they can't take repetitive impact at speed without killing the urethane inserts. Buy some FK XML Teflon lined heims and get back to me on the noise thing. They ain't cheap, but quality never is. I run and have ran those for years on race cars, offroad vehicles and now my SxS and I've yet to hear one squeek that isn't worn out from being in use for way longer than it should have been or abused in some sort of severe impact event like a crash. Bushings/joints are wear items and should be treated as such and replaced/rebuilt on a schedule. There is no magical heim or bushing sombody makes that is wear proof like some of you want to think. Race teams in offroad motorsports do what they call a "race prep" to the vehicle before every race where they strip it down completely to check everything and when they put it back together they replace every heim and bushing there is to replace in the suspension if they are still good or not.

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
Took the X to Wildcat today along with Julie, my Son and Daughter in Law who were in the '23 LV. We went at it pretty hard. My fears regarding how it would corner were mostly dispelled. You have to be up on the wheel, but it had great manners when cornering at moderate to quick speed. Hard acceleration whether on the flat or up hill is sketchy at best. It tended to wheel spin and eventually step sideways on numerous occasions, especially up hill. It rides rougher than a R. I ran it at a 2 foot water break and my son said the rear tires were 4 foot off the ground when I landed. Didn't expect that. It seems much more maneuverable through or around tight obstacles. We were running 93NE and 50% VP fuel and it seemed to continue running better as the day progressed, guessing the tune was learning, and shifts were perfect. I plan on ringing George at Double E to discuss his thoughts regarding traction and rear of the machine wanting to overrun the front over jumps. Julie didn't have her belts completely sung, and she went forward a bit and her sunglasses slammed into the inside of the windscreen. I ran the clickers in soft and medium settings, preferring the middle click

IMG 0370

IMG 0371

IMG 0376

IMG 0377

IMG 0373

Reactions: CID and Homer
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Took the X to Wildcat today along with Julie, my Son and Daughter in Law who were in the '23 LV. We went at it pretty hard. My fears regarding how it would corner were mostly dispelled. You have to be up on the wheel, but it had great manners when cornering at moderate to quick speed. Hard acceleration whether on the flat or up hill is sketchy at best. It tended to wheel spin and eventually step sideways on numerous occasions, especially up hill. It rides rougher than a R. I ran it at a 2 foot water break and my son said the rear tires were 4 foot off the ground when I landed. Didn't expect that. It seems much more maneuverable through or around tight obstacles. We were running 93NE and 50% VP fuel and it seemed to continue running better as the day progressed, guessing the tune was learning, and shifts were perfect. I plan on ringing George at Double E to discuss his thoughts regarding traction and rear of the machine wanting to overrun the front over jumps. Julie didn't have her belts completely sung, and she went forward a bit and her sunglasses slammed into the inside of the windscreen. I ran the clickers in soft and medium settings, preferring the middle click

View attachment 448167

View attachment 448168

View attachment 448169

View attachment 448170

View attachment 448171

All Talons buck forward on jumps stock, I think shock therapy were the ones who proposed it was due to the short trailing arms and there pivot point placement. The YXZ does a similar thing.

It's fixable with shocks like Slowpoke said.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
Same guy who did the Green Talon

Reactions: CID
advertisement
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X

4. Talon R

5. Talon R LV
That's what I like to hear

Please keep an eye on the green ones brake lines, especially the front. The combo of those arms and brake lines was wonky and I had to custom mount them.
Shouldn't you have told me this before I made you my sole heir?

• Haha
Reactions: CID and SLOWPOKE693

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!