H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
This wheel bearing needed replacement at 33,000 miles. Both of the rear bearing have some play. Also you can see a little grease has leaked out. I replaced one rear bearing and one front at around 15,000 miles. This bearing is used in all the Pioneer's too.

WheelBearing2

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you ever grease them or just run 'em till they get rough? I was starting to wonder about mine coming up on 8,000 miles.

Reactions: Pieward
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
They are sealed so I never grease them. I don't drive in deep water, around 6 to 8 inches is ok for me. I just hate having the wheel bearings and drive shaft under water. It's usually sandy water here and it can be hard on the drive shaft seals. I modified a Harbor freight ball joint seperator to fit the Honda joints. I had to grind out the fork to fit.

BallJoint Tool
BallJointTool
BallJointTool1

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Some guy can't seem to get 1500 miles, and you have 33,000.
What the secret.
We ride gravel roads and sand washes. Appalachian trails are 10x to 1 wear compared to desert riding.

• Wow
Reactions: CID and TripleB
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you ever grease them or just run 'em till they get rough? I was starting to wonder about mine coming up on 8,000 miles.
I'm approaching 15,000 on this machine, 16,000 on the previous one have not replaced anything yet. As always, ymmv

Reactions: CID
H

HondaTech

They are sealed so I never grease them. I don't drive in deep water, around 6 to 8 inches is ok for me. I just hate having the wheel bearings and drive shaft under water. It's usually sandy water here and it can be hard on the drive shaft seals. I modified a Harbor freight ball joint seperator to fit the Honda joints. I had to grind out the fork to fit.

View attachment 349807View attachment 349809View attachment 349810

A heads up on using these tools.
Don't use the nut that holds the balljoint in, use another nut you can throw away. I've crushed the threads on the orignal nuts before and they can't be reused.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I was on the shaft and used the nut to keep it from popping more then 1/8".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!