Talon X-4 Steering Issues

D

Dfoy08

Apr 2, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good afternoon everyone,
I'm posting this to hopefully help someone that might be having the same issues I am. I have been experiencing difficult steering for about 100miles. The steering is light and works well if there isn't a load on the tire (wheels off the ground), it also work well on concrete, but as soon as its on gravel or dirt it is like the electric power steering unit has stopped working. I have jumped around on a couple different forums to see if there were issues like this and it appears that is happening in a lot of X models.

I have taken my talon to my local dealership to have them take a look at it and the dealership has determined that the steering box has failed and they have replaced that unit. This helped with the steering but didn't fix my issues completely. The dealership tested the electric power steering unit and have determined that it has failed also. I'm currently waiting on a new electric p/s unit to come in so it can be replaced. Hopefully this solves my steering issues.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have had two talons, both have somewhat intermittant steering assist. Often works well for about a 1/4 to 1/8 turn then seems to be no assist, worse on roads and under pressure, not much issue on flat trails or gravel. I have not run across any solution. Would be interesting to see if replacing the electric assist correcting problems.

I have my brother in laws P1000-5 in my garage and the power steering is awesome in comparison to both my current 4 seat talon and previous 3 seat talon.

Last edited:
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Interesting. I just looked EPS unit up for Talon X4 and Pioneer 1000-5 and they are same part number. Any way to adjust these or increase the assist? Wonder how hard it would be to swap, just to see if it made a difference?

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good afternoon everyone,
I'm posting this to hopefully help someone that might be having the same issues I am. I have been experiencing difficult steering for about 100miles. The steering is light and works well if there isn't a load on the tire (wheels off the ground), it also work well on concrete, but as soon as its on gravel or dirt it is like the electric power steering unit has stopped working. I have jumped around on a couple different forums to see if there were issues like this and it appears that is happening in a lot of X models.

I have taken my talon to my local dealership to have them take a look at it and the dealership has determined that the steering box has failed and they have replaced that unit. This helped with the steering but didn't fix my issues completely. The dealership tested the electric power steering unit and have determined that it has failed also. I'm currently waiting on a new electric p/s unit to come in so it can be replaced. Hopefully this solves my steering issues.
What year model is yours? Mines a 20’ X4LV and I’ve had it two years in September with 1500 trouble free miles with the steering. Hope the dealers service solves your issues for you…😎

D

Dfoy08

Apr 2, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have had two talons, both have somewhat intermittant steering assist. Often works well for about a 1/4 to 1/8 turn then seems to be no assist, worse on roads and under pressure, not much issue on flat trails or gravel. I have not run across any solution. Would be interesting to see if replacing the electric assist correcting problems.

I have my brother in laws P1000-5 in my garage and the power steering is awesome in comparison to both my current 4 seat talon and previous 3 seat talon.
I would look into it. They put a new oem steering box on but I've already purchased the RB3/Jsportsxs steering box. Just waiting to get my talon back so I can install it.

D

Dfoy08

Apr 2, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What year model is yours? Mines a 20’ X4LV and I’ve had it two years in September with 1500 trouble free miles with the steering. Hope the dealers service solves your issues for you…😎
Mine is a 2020 X4 nonLV. I do have a one of the first models made for the X4. I know that wont matter much since there really isn't a difference between a 2 seat and the 4 seater.

Honestly, this is how my luck goes. If something goes bad for me its really bad. 😂😂

Reactions: Montecresto
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

I think it’s the number of U joints in the steering column.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

The Pioneer appears to (now) use the same EPS Motor (part changed from 53600-HL4-A01 to 53600-HL6-A01). So the original EPS Motor was not the same. It also uses a different EPS Controller but the biggest difference is the location of EPS Control Unit. The wire distance on the Talon is more than twice a Pioneer and even worse on the X4. If Honda didn't (properly) compensate for this, it may be causing problems.

Personally, I think it is a combination of the wire distance from the battery to the EPS Control Unit and from the Control Unit to the EPS Motor and the wire size used. The EPS Control Unit is programmed to reduce or stop power assist if it detects the motor is heating up or has overheated. There is no temp sensor in the motor so this heat detection is based on motor amp draw vs the torque sensor. I think the programming is not correct and the additional amp drawn from the longer wires is misinterpreted as the motor over heating and therefore the power assist is reduced or stopped. Unfortunately, the EPS is not addressable through the CAN-BUS so it is not programmable. Accept for the overheat detection/assist reduction part, everything else is pure speculation and needs to be proven.

I really wanted to try moving the Control Unit up front right next to my second battery and in between the battery and the EPS Motor with bigger wires to see if that made any difference. Unfortunately, may family situation has made any thing like that almost impossible but I hope to dive into it later this year if my situation improves.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good afternoon everyone,

Any further developments with this???

D

Dfoy08

Apr 2, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Any further developments with this???
I have my talon back! The steering rack and EPS unit were both replaced under warranty. The new oem rack didn't stay on for very long though. I have already replaced it with the RB3 steering rack. I don't want to have to go through this again plus now I have a brand new oem rack as a spare haha.

The dealer couldn't really tell me why the EPS unit failed, so I'm not able to give you guys much detail on that. I can tell you that the RB3 steer rack is very well made and the steering feels like it should. I don't really notice and increase in steering angle though.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have my talon back! The steering rack and EPS unit were both replaced under warranty. The new oem rack didn't stay on for very long though. I have already replaced it with the RB3 steering rack. I don't want to have to go through this again plus now I have a brand new oem rack as a spare haha.

The dealer couldn't really tell me why the EPS unit failed, so I'm not able to give you guys much detail on that. I can tell you that the RB3 steer rack is very well made and the steering feels like it should. I don't really notice and increase in steering angle though.
Thanks, appreciate the update….😊

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Were you expecting an increase in steering angle?

RB3’s rack is the same travel as stock.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!