H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Did a big ride with a lunch stop in town. Due to the virus we ate outside. A guy asked us about the Talon, he had been studying them and was ready to buy one. I told him to buy the Talon R. He wanted to know why Honda made the Talon X. My buddy told him they had to have something for the women and girlie men.

I just had to pass this on to the guys and the Devil made me post it here. We have 11 Talon X owners and 8 Talon R's in our riding group.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yes I know but in the South West the R is the best choice and with the high end suspension upgrade its an Amazing ride. When I raced some National Enduro's in the East I had to narrow the handlebars so I could go fast in the tree lined trails. I was going to buy the X next but after the upgraded suspension on my R its not a option now. I hope Honda will offer an all new model in a year or two and fix the suspension and air filter intake location. A factory Turbo would be nice too.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Honda, in their infinite wisdom, does not offer a Talon R for sale in Canada.
I have often wondered, can't you just cross the border, buy an R and take it home to Canada and title/register it?

Is there some kind of law against it or are the import taxes just too cost prohibitive?

Reactions: TimG and Smitty335
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have often wondered, can't you just cross the border, buy an R and take it home to Canada and title/register it?

Is there some kind of law against it or are the import taxes just too cost prohibitive?

Sure I could, however when I bought my machine, the exchange rate was about 1.34. (+ 12% import fees) An X in Canada is about $28k before taxes, How much is an R in the states?

The challenge is we don't have "titling" in canada, we what's called a "NIVIS" which is used once when it is new to insure the vehicle, then that insurance becomes everything. Sign the bottom of the insurance papers and it's sold.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sure I could, however when I bought my machine, the exchange rate was about 1.34. (+ 12% import fees) An X in Canada is about $28k before taxes, How much is an R in the states?

The challenge is we don't have "titling" in canada, we what's called a "NIVIS" which is used once when it is new to insure the vehicle, then that insurance becomes everything. Sign the bottom of the insurance papers and it's sold.
Looks like you can get an R today for about the same as you paid for your X.

I got a deal on an R a couple month ago for another member here.

$19,500 + 950 deliver/prep. If you prove you are taking out of state, you will not be charged sales tax here.
$20,450 X 1.23 (today's exchange rate) = $25,153 + 3,018 Import Fee = $28,171

When you bought yours, you could easily get an R for $19,000 OTD, some places even less.
19,000 X 1.34 = 25,460 + 3,055 = 28,505

Of course, there is transport but combine that with a riding vacation to the US and voila, you have a Talon R in Canada for a little more than the X (and the R retails for $1,000 more here anyway).

And I'm sure there is a way to go to your equivalent of our "DMV" and get the machine properly "papered" in Canada.

Where there is a will, there is a way!!!

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah that would have been cool. If honda fixes some of the glaring issues, i'll do that next time!!

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!