Talon Talon X wheel-tires

Z

Zurf

Jul 9, 2019
Centralia, WA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Talon X. STI HD9’s the STI part numbers are 14HB929 and 14HB928, that’s for a 6-1 offset in the front and 4-3 in the back. 30x10x14 Maxxis Carnivores. 7”wheels about 66” wide.

5D084AEF A3AF 417E BD4E 3996B793E883

B

bionicman

Oct 19, 2019
seattle
Ownership

1. Talon X
thus can you confirm the talon x hubs are different widths front/rear?

Reactions: ChadD
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
hmm interesting that OEM does this? Does this geometry aid in SXS handling? thank you for confirming

the high offset front wheels do place the upper and lower ball joints close to center of tire. (Neutral steering)

maybe the rear it’s just easier to build the hubs strong enough if they do not protrude as far into the wheel?

Or maybe it’s just the age old reason “why does a dog lick it’s b@lls?”

because it can.

Reactions: ChadD and GPR1500SC
B

bionicman

Oct 19, 2019
seattle
Ownership

1. Talon X
the high offset front wheels do place the upper and lower ball joints close to center of tire. (Neutral steering)

maybe the rear it’s just easier to build the hubs strong enough if they do not protrude as far into the wheel?

Or maybe it’s just the age old reason “why does a dog lick it’s b@lls?”

because it can.

on talon i understand rear hubs are approx 2" narrower than front hubs - Front uses 4+3 wheel rear uses 5+2 thus the wheel front/rear track width of machine is overall similar with wider portion of rear tires inside of front tires.

Understand skinner front tires are for steering feedback reductions & more nimble handling feel. But if you use same height tires on different wheel widths results are differing overall tire heights - Then you got what they call ‘scrub radius’

Maneuvering or handling ??

Looks?

Has to be overall reason to not have similar wheels & tires as from OEM standpoint it would significantly lower costs of you could buy 1 million wheel/tire sets vs .5mil

Reactions: ChadD
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
on talon i understand rear hubs are approx 2" narrower than front hubs - Front uses 4+3 wheel rear uses 5+2 thus the wheel front/rear track width of machine is overall similar with wider portion of rear tires inside of front tires.

Understand skinner front tires are for steering feedback reductions & more nimble handling feel. But if you use same height tires on different wheel widths results are differing overall tire heights - Then you got what they call ‘scrub radius’

Maneuvering or handling ??

Looks?

Has to be overall reason to not have similar wheels & tires as from OEM standpoint it would significantly lower costs of you could buy 1 million wheel/tire sets vs .5mil

your statement of offsets is backwards.

oem honda front offset is 6-1 equivalent
Rear offset is 4-3 equivalent

The hubs are narrower in the rear.

Reactions: ChadD and bionicman
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Going to dig this old thread up - If I have a trailer that's only 68" wide, is a 30mm positive offset (5+2) in the front going to fit within that 68" window? From what I gather it's like 60% yes with something like a 30" Tusk Terrabite. I'd like to run 5+2 in all corners for an easy spare option but I might just settle for the 6+1 and 4+3 combo knowing 99% everything will fit without having to changing my trailer situation.

volkspower

volkspower

Feb 28, 2017
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X
Going to dig this old thread up - If I have a trailer that's only 68" wide, is a 30mm positive offset (5+2) in the front going to fit within that 68" window? From what I gather it's like 60% yes with something like a 30" Tusk Terrabite. I'd like to run 5+2 in all corners for an easy spare option but I might just settle for the 6+1 and 4+3 combo knowing 99% everything will fit without having to changing my trailer situation.
It really depends on what wheel and tire you pick. I have 30" XTR 370's on 6+1 (15") HD9 STI wheels and I am 68.2" across the front.

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I have a 2021 1000r and looking for a 5x2 0r 4x3 wheel for 5 tires and wheels like the STI HD9 and xcomp atr. Anyone like something better. Would like to put 32x10 15 anyone done this and what are the problems if any??

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I have a 2021 1000r and looking for a 5x2 0r 4x3 wheel for 5 tires and wheels like the STI HD9 and xcomp atr. Anyone like something better. Would like to put 32x10 15 anyone done this and what are the problems if any??
32's fit just fine on the R. Only issue is the power loss. Many that run 32's (and even some that run 30's) say they will never do it again because of the power loss.

You will get a million answers on tire preference so no help there from me :)

Run 6+1 or 5+2 (at least +30 mm offset) or you will change the scrub radius up front and it may handle funny.

If you run the same rims all the way around, you will need 1.5" spacers in the rear to even out the width.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I am running system 3 bead locks on 6-1 with 32x10x15 sedona rockabilly with 1.5 spacer rear sitting at 72in wide on my 21 R lv. @PaulF is right there is a bit of power loss but would I go back to 28s hell no over all I love my setup, I think the ride and handling is so much better and honda really dropped the ball on factory tire size should of been atleast 30s

P

Pfdbrown

Dec 2, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
It really depends on what wheel and tire you pick. I have 30" XTR 370's on 6+1 (15") HD9 STI wheels and I am 68.2" across the front.
Your running 6+1 front and 4+3 rear and your around 68” wide?? I want to run the exact same tire and wheel set up just can’t decide on running 6+1/4+3 or 5+2 on all 4.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm running STI HD9s, 6+1 front, 4+3 rear and I'm 70-1/8" wide front, 71-1/8" rear on my Talon R. Doing it over, I'd probably go 6+1's all around with 1-1/2" spacers on the rear so I could rotate.

Stock spec for the Talon's width is 68.4"

eta: that's with 30x10x15 Chicane RX tires.

Reactions: sspeederr
P

Pfdbrown

Dec 2, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
So with an X if I go 5+2 w/the hd9s I should be right around 68” with 10“ wheels

toy-hauler

toy-hauler

Mar 31, 2021
Southwest Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Being a newbie to the SxS world, (delivery in August), is there a place I can go to understand the offset everyone talks about? I feel like Charlie Brown listening to the teacher. (Bwah bah bwah, bah waa wah bwah?) I'm a Goldwing guy, and do all of my own maintenance, and will do the same on this machine.

I doubt if I will do anything for a year or so, but I'd at least like to understand.
Thanks.............

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Side by side offset is absolutely bizzare. Trucks are so simple. +0, +30, -44... makes sense. 4+3, 5+2, 6+1... Like wtf...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!