Talon X4 Live Valve vs Shock Therapy

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hi all,

I own a 21 Honda talon 1000X4 FLV (Stock suspension/tires), I am in need of more ground clearance as I am tired of bottoming out everywhere I go. I've considered bigger tires but I don't want to lose that precious horsepower (it's already in need of more power!). My buddy recommended shock therapy and their RIS (Ride Improvement system), stating for $600 I can get more ground clearance and less sag.

Curious how ST compares to the live valve shocks? I'd be interested in hearing those with the same sxs speaking up on their thoughts after an ugprade.

How does this change my "normal" and "sport" modes? Will this be a useless switch after the upgrade?

Is the upgrade worth the $600, and will I truly notice a difference?

Will I gain ground clearance and lessen my chances of bottoming out?

My original thought was to get bigger tires, but I really don't want to lose horsepower or deal with rubbing.

My current mods have all added weight, to name a few - Tree kickers, winch, windshield, radio, amongst a whole list of other things I've done (yet those are the heavier of the mods).

Thanks in advance, appreciate your time!

Reactions: Smitty335
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Don't know much about live valve but I would add one inch of spring preload to improve the ground clearance as a start. From there you may want to add a bit more preload. Shock therapy or the other suspension guys will replace the springs and will need to know all the added weight.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi all,

I own a 21 Honda talon 1000X4 FLV (Stock suspension/tires), I am in need of more ground clearance as I am tired of bottoming out everywhere I go. I've considered bigger tires but I don't want to lose that precious horsepower (it's already in need of more power!). My buddy recommended shock therapy and their RIS (Ride Improvement system), stating for $600 I can get more ground clearance and less sag.

Curious how ST compares to the live valve shocks? I'd be interested in hearing those with the same sxs speaking up on their thoughts after an ugprade.

How does this change my "normal" and "sport" modes? Will this be a useless switch after the upgrade?

Is the upgrade worth the $600, and will I truly notice a difference?

Will I gain ground clearance and lessen my chances of bottoming out?

My original thought was to get bigger tires, but I really don't want to lose horsepower or deal with rubbing.

My current mods have all added weight, to name a few - Tree kickers, winch, windshield, radio, amongst a whole list of other things I've done (yet those are the heavier of the mods).

Thanks in advance, appreciate your time!
After adding all that weight, have you attempted to adjust your ride height? If not, you should start there and see if you can get your ground clearance back.

If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, you can get all new springs. ST sells a set specifically for the X4 LV for $600. You input your driver and passenger weights and all your added other weight and they send you a full set of springs.

I do not think they do a full spring/re-valve on the X4 LV but if they did, it would be around $1,400.

That said, I don't recommend ST re-valve for where you live. They are more into desert racing and will set you up too stiff for Eastern style trail riding. You should consider calling G-Force Racing or one of the other Eastern shock tuners that will understand your riding style better.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
H

HondaTech

I can 2nd GForce, he's got our race car pretty much perfect. Even shortened the stroke for our X front suspension swapped R.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Don't know much about live valve but I would add one inch of spring preload to improve the ground clearance as a start.
This can be done to the X4LV???

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't updated this thread. I ended up putting on 32-in tires and it helped me with my ground clearance.

However is it possible to adjust the suspension and or should I? I noticed some rubbing so I wonder if that's going to help. I understand you need a spanner wrench or a pipe wrench. I was always skeptical about messing with suspension as I'm afraid it's going to screw something up and offset the suspension if it's not exact.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The proper scanner made short work of tightening my preload. I tried the hammer and punch, that was painfully slow to me. The link in my sig will show you the spanner I used but it’s for a Talon R, different shock and spanner.

Whatever you do, when adjusting your preload, jack the Talon up as high as you can (safely) to unload the pressure on the preload ring threads. Also make sure the threads are clean, they’re aluminum and any grit will cause galling and that will ruin yer day.

Reactions: Mudwing
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I find the spanner wrench to be somewhat useless and almost impossible to turn the nut with weight on the spring so I don't use any tools on my R to adjust the preload or crossovers except for a large screw driver, a hammer and some leather gloves.
  • Jack up so all weight is off the tire of the shock you want to adjust.
  • Loosen preload jam nut with screwdriver and hammer and spin it up a few threads.
  • Mark the adjusting nut (NOT the jam nut) so you can count the turns.
  • Put on leather gloves, grab the preload nut and upper spring.
  • Grab lower spring with other hand and with both hands, spring the entire assembly while turning the nut.
  • Make sure springs are still clocked properly.
  • Tighten jam nut.
  • Set the crossover if you have them. Usually match the same number of turns as you moved the preload.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!