Nitro Caps for X4 live valve

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
Getting ready to order the the DRS kit from Shock Therapy and while I have the shocks off im going to put the Nitro Caps on and refill with nitrogen. Before ordering I've seen others like talk about Schmidty Racing caps, just want other perspectives before ordering. The price is not much different.

Reactions: Blownzuki and TxDoc
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Getting ready to order the the DRS kit from Shock Therapy and while I have the shocks off im going to put the Nitro Caps on and refill with nitrogen. Before ordering I've seen others like talk about Schmidty Racing caps, just want other perspectives before ordering. The price is not much different.
I have the caps with schrader valves from FCR - they are on 2 years - clickers are still firm - I guess they work all right

these are a low risk items IMO - should all do the same thing - hold nitrogen pressure.....you could technically just drill and tap the existing caps and add your own if budget is a concern

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
I have the caps with schrader valves from FCR - they are on 2 years - clickers are still firm - I guess they work all right

these are a low risk items IMO - should all do the same thing - hold nitrogen pressure.....you could technically just drill and tap the existing caps and add your own if budget is a concern
Thank you, it’s not a budget concern. I looked into drilling and tapping but feel the caps will work better and less likely hood of a leak

Reactions: Blownzuki
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thank you, it’s not a budget concern. I looked into drilling and tapping but feel the caps will work better and less likely hood of a leak
I thought the same thing then I walked into the shock shop and they were drilling\tapping caps for the valves - lol. what leaks on the stock shocks are the stupid cheap ass football filler rubber nipples. the caps only need to hold max of 200PSI or so of nitrogen

I shoulda saved the money - lol

ive done a few for my buddies since then and they are all fine - they reaped my impatience..

Reactions: CID and WildMounts
WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
I thought the same thing then I walked into the shock shop and they were drilling\tapping caps for the valves - lol. what leaks on the stock shocks are the stupid cheap ass football filler rubber nipples. the caps only need to hold max of 200PSI or so of nitrogen

I shoulda saved the money - lol

ive done a few for my buddies since then and they are all fine - they reaped my impatience..
May try the drilling and tapping then lol worse case I screw it up and buy caps lol

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
Do you have a part number of the valves?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi - just search schraderd valve on google or amazon, many threaded valves on there - I just bought from whoever on amazon when I need\needed some.

obvious you will need to buy a tap though

maybe get the supplies - drill and tap one cap - put back onto shock - fill with air or nitrogen, who cares you are rebuilding anyway and check for leaks on the valve ?

Reactions: WildMounts
WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
hi - just search schraderd valve on google or amazon, many threaded valves on there - I just bought from whoever on amazon when I need\needed some.

obvious you will need to buy a tap though

maybe get the supplies - drill and tap one cap - put back onto shock - fill with air or nitrogen, who cares you are rebuilding anyway and check for leaks on the valve ?
I ended up drilling and tapping the shocks with Schrader valves which was a really simple process. Replaced springs all the way around with shock therapy dual rated springs. My new question is PSI on the shocks? I ran 150PSI and shocks seemed a little stiff and would "thump" hard and fast when hitting bumps that extended the shocks. I lowered the pressure to around 120, they seem to ride a little smoother but still seem to "thump" on extension. This is my first time messing with shocks like this, Any help would be appreciated.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I ended up drilling and tapping the shocks with Schrader valves which was a really simple process. Replaced springs all the way around with shock therapy dual rated springs. My new question is PSI on the shocks? I ran 150PSI and shocks seemed a little stiff and would "thump" hard and fast when hitting bumps that extended the shocks. I lowered the pressure to around 120, they seem to ride a little smoother but still seem to "thump" on extension. This is my first time messing with shocks like this, Any help would be appreciated.
Talons' front shocks are known to clunk on top out, many of us are running limiter straps (usually front only, the rears seem ok). I've seen too many different recommendations for nitrogen pressure so I can't help there, no idea.

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
Talons' front shocks are known to clunk on top out, many of us are running limiter straps (usually front only, the rears seem ok). I've seen too many different recommendations for nitrogen pressure so I can't help there, no idea.
that's good to know! I looked into the limit straps when I ordered the springs, didn't have the noise before doing these changes so wasn't thinking id need them. Sounds like ill add them to the list for the nest purchase.

Reactions: CID
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
that's good to know! I looked into the limit straps when I ordered the springs, didn't have the noise before doing these changes so wasn't thinking id need them. Sounds like I’ll add them to the list for the nest purchase.
You check with ST ?

You basically did a shock service and swapped to their springs -hopefully they can get ya close.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
that's good to know! I looked into the limit straps when I ordered the springs, didn't have the noise before doing these changes so wasn't thinking id need them. Sounds like ill add them to the list for the nest purchase.
I did the ST limiters, they're expensive but they're pritty. 😍 And they're burried up under the fender where you can't see 'em. 😂

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
You check with ST ?

You basically did a shock service and swapped to their springs -hopefully they can get ya close
I didn’t even think about asking them about PSI lol I’ve been on the phone with them on and off about ride height and adjustment on the shocks, I’ll call them back

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
I did the ST limiters, they're expensive but they're pritty. 😍 And they're burried up under the fender where you can't see 'em. 😂
Those are the ones I looked at and they are really nice and the only ones I’ve seen that I like.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I didn’t even think about asking them about PSI lol I’ve been on the phone with them on and off about ride height and adjustment on the shocks, I’ll call them back
Ride height is easy, a stock 2 X is spec'd at 12.7" ground clearance, allow for aftermarket tire size, if any, and turn the preload rings until you get where you want. I want the engineered geometry so I added an inch to allow for my 30" tires - easy peasy.

Did you get cross over rings with the ST work? If so, there's a lot of options there too but I'm not very well versed on those intricacies. On my R with stock springs, I backed the cross overs way off so I'd spend more time on the softer springs before crossing over but that was completely unscientific, a softer ride was more important than perfect cross over function.

Obtw: if you aren't backin' 'er into the turns, try unhooking your sway bar to improve the ride even more. For the R guys, you have to undo both SB links and tie the SB up or it'll hit the upper trailing arm.

In case you haven't seen it, check out the New Talon Owners thread for some useful Talon information -

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
I had proper ground clearance up front off of their measurements but was sitting 1.5 shorter in the back. I have the Live valve so I already had cross over rings on my shocks from factory. I understand its to swap over springs but not real sure on settings and how exactly it works?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had proper ground clearance up front off of their measurements but was sitting 1.5 shorter in the back. I have the Live valve so I already had cross over rings on my shocks from factory. I understand its to swap over springs but not real sure on settings and how exactly it works?
Neither am I. 😊

Did ST assemble your shocks and springs or did you have to? Just curious. Making up that 1.5" will mess with the cross over setting though, so I can't offer anything useful.

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
I put them together but called and talked with them about measurements and such to bump up my ground clearance to 14.5 all the way around which is what they said it should be with running a 30in tire. I need to double check crossovers to see where they are. To make the ride softer, do you go up or down on the crossovers? Im new to all of this spring settings and stuff lol

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I put them together but called and talked with them about measurements and such to bump up my ground clearance to 14.5 all the way around which is what they said it should be with running a 30in tire. I need to double check crossovers to see where they are. To make the ride softer, do you go up or down on the crossovers? Im new to all of this spring settings and stuff lol
Higher for softer. How far is too high? Post 15 & 16 in the New Talon Owners thread linked above explain the use of a zip ties to let you know if you're coil binding, bad juju for a spring.

WildMounts

WildMounts

Sep 1, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
Sounds like I need to reread that lol I ready it when I first bought my talon but seem to have missed some of the key stuff! thanks for all the help!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!