Talon x4 or pioneer 1000-5 trail

406 bowtie

Apr 12, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hey guys and gals.
I didnt find what I was looking for in a search, and I am brand new here. I have been a quad rider for many years, and motorcycles before that. Will be 50 in 5 months. Looking to pick up a sxs in the next couple of months. I really like the idea of the pioneer 1000-5 for my wife and I. I have a 13 year old son, and a quad for him. However, we took a trip to hatfield mccoy's rockhouse trails last week, with the son and wife. Let's just say everyone is safe, but neither one of them, is looking to go ride quads in the mountains anytime soon. Unfortunately, they are both fairly new riders, and I was not sure they were ready for the trip. We only rode 20 minutes, before they both said uncle. Anyways, I like the length and the utility aspect of the pioneer, but wonder if the talon is a better option. We plan on mostly trail riding in upper an lower michigan. But they still like the idea of going back to hatfield mccoy, but not on a quad. I ride a honda 520 pioneer now. But came from a polaris sportsman. I get the honda ride can be a little rough. But how bad is the ride going to be on a pioneer, with the trail suspension. The dealer told me, we probably wouldn't like the pioneer for mostly trail riding. I realize the talon would definitely be smoother, but it's like 3 feet longer. I see some of the 4 seaters sxs having to do 3 point turns on the switch backs. They just seem so long. And then there is no utility to them. Is the pioneer just going to beat my wife and I up? I want her to be comfortable, and not wore out from a beating. But with a younger child, I think we need a 4 seater. Otherwise, I would get a 2 seater talon, and let him follow. But not in the mountains. Lol.
I know this is a personal choice and one man's rough is subjective. But wanted some educated opinions.
Thanks

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys and gals.
I didnt find what I was looking for in a search, and I am brand new here. I have been a quad rider for many years, and motorcycles before that. Will be 50 in 5 months. Looking to pick up a sxs in the next couple of months. I really like the idea of the pioneer 1000-5 for my wife and I. I have a 13 year old son, and a quad for him. However, we took a trip to hatfield mccoy's rockhouse trails last week, with the son and wife. Let's just say everyone is safe, but neither one of them, is looking to go ride quads in the mountains anytime soon. Unfortunately, they are both fairly new riders, and I was not sure they were ready for the trip. We only rode 20 minutes, before they both said uncle. Anyways, I like the length and the utility aspect of the pioneer, but wonder if the talon is a better option. We plan on mostly trail riding in upper an lower michigan. But they still like the idea of going back to hatfield mccoy, but not on a quad. I ride a honda 520 pioneer now. But came from a polaris sportsman. I get the honda ride can be a little rough. But how bad is the ride going to be on a pioneer, with the trail suspension. The dealer told me, we probably wouldn't like the pioneer for mostly trail riding. I realize the talon would definitely be smoother, but it's like 3 feet longer. I see some of the 4 seaters sxs having to do 3 point turns on the switch backs. They just seem so long. And then there is no utility to them. Is the pioneer just going to beat my wife and I up? I want her to be comfortable, and not wore out from a beating. But with a younger child, I think we need a 4 seater. Otherwise, I would get a 2 seater talon, and let him follow. But not in the mountains. Lol.
I know this is a personal choice and one man's rough is subjective. But wanted some educated opinions.
Thanks
A P1K5 is quite a bit plusher ride than the baby brother P5. If you get the Fox shocks especially the P1K5 is perfectly comfortable for the trail if you ride mostly under 25mph on the trails. If you like higher speed riding then the Talon will give a better ride for that.

Backseat on the Talon is more comfortable than the backseat of the P1K5.

I wouldn’t let having to make a few extra maneuvers on switchbacks have any bearing on your decision though.

If you can make it to Pioneer, TN for Takeover weekend of June 1st I suspect you could get a ride in several options of SxS.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't speak for the Talon, but for the Pioneer 1000 you definitely want the Fox shocks. When I bought mine used it had base shocks and rode like a brick (PO also f'd it up with a bracket lift.)

It was unbelievable how much better it rides with the Foxes.

Also, you want to think about how often you have back seat passengers. I only use my back seats 3-4 times a year, the rest of the time I'm loving having a bed.

There are ways to make those back seats more comfortable, from adding a simple riser pad to the rzr seat bottom brackets.

406 bowtie

Apr 12, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thanks for the replies. A local dealer has a test track, but neither of the machines to try them out. Would love to make it to pioneer TN. Sounds like a great time. We'll see. For the money, I don't want to make the wrong call. But either machine is likely to be great choice.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. A local dealer has a test track, but neither of the machines to try them out. Would love to make it to pioneer TN. Sounds like a great time. We'll see. For the money, I don't want to make the wrong call. But either machine is likely to be great choice.

Welcome from the 👍 😎

Reactions: TxDoc and Remington
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What part of MI you from @406 bowtie ?

As far as a comparison.....there isn't. The P1K and Talon are apples & oranges as they say. The P1K is nice, we love ours but it doesn't compare to the comfort & ride of the Talon. I have a '19 T1Kx and a buddy has a '23 T1Kr4, the 4 is even smoother yet due to the added wheel base.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome fellow Michigander from the clutches of Big Gretch!

Where bouts you located in the Mitten?
Like @906UP said they are apples and oranges different. I started with a P1 and still have it. Then got a Talon X2 they are both good machines but the P1 will be more versatile. If u get a P1 get one with the fox shocks from the factory. Makes all the difference

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Welcome. I have both as well and concur. I'm hoping to bring the Talons and P1K-5 to TO this year. I would think the Talon wins but I had a blast at TO 23 in the Pioneer.

gparks

gparks

Aug 10, 2020
Asheville NC
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I have had both. First the pioneer then the Talon 1000X4. I can honestly say for trail rides and comfort Talon 💯 if for working around the house then the Pioneer. The Talon makes things easy compared to the pioneer on the trails.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
X2 own both my kids hate the back seats in the Pioneer anymore since we got the x4 they love riding all day! The talon is way better suited for riding with multiple passengers adults and kids. There's the Pioneer 6 seat too

406 bowtie

Apr 12, 2024
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thanks everyone,
I'm from the barry county/dowling area. We do road riding and enjoy riding the fire roads in the U.P Newberry area. Also plan on hitting some Grayling trails. I love riding in the mountains of West Virginia, and my bucket list is going out to Utah. I will probably be going to Utah next spring. Im old enough to feel all the aches and pains from my younger days, but still young enough, I like to drive a little on the spirited side. Although I don't see ever getting much over 40 on any kind of trail/road. Most riding would probably be closer to 25/30. I don't plan on necessarily attempting the escalator, or any of the bigger obstacles in Utah, but I definitely want to get to them and see them. Again, my spirited driving can be left to my quad, or hot rod, when the family are not in with me. Lol

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!