The 2021 Rimrocker Round Trip Overland Trek

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Very cool. We just need to find out if yours, Byron’s, Pilgrim’s and mine are programmed to communicate with each other....🤔
Good deal! I got mine from elkoholic and he did basic program for me. #1 son is a ham (in more ways than radios) so if we decide on freq he can do mine.

Question...since the radios a re very easy to remove I'm guessing no leaves them in the Pioneer when you're travelling. Once powered down is there anything that needs to be done or are the just plug and play?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good deal! I got mine from elkoholic and he did basic program for me. #1 son is a ham (in more ways than radios) so if we decide on freq he can do mine.

Question...since the radios a re very easy to remove I'm guessing no leaves them in the Pioneer when you're travelling. Once powered down is there anything that needs to be done or are the just plug and play?
Yep, we need help with the decision on frequency apparently. Looks like @Tramguage1 wants pm’s for this, I’ll shoot him one, y’all can too if you want help/guidance....👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Mines not easily removed at all, I’ll not be removing it....

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Screenshot 20210411 213650 Chrome
Screenshot 20210411 214209 Chrome
Screenshot 20210411 214324 Chrome
getting ready... the zip required 4 D batteries and 1lb propane bottles

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hoping for water at camp. But I will be carrying 5 gallons. Will be enough to keep the better half happy.
Ok, hopefully there is, but it will almost certainly be ground water if we have any...👍

Reactions: Pilgrim
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep, that’s the kind of ground water I meant, most likely pond or river.... no lakes I know of.
I watched the vid of the jeep group doing the trail and it looked pretty dry to me. There certainly could be some small streams or other water enroute that could be filtered. Depending upon whether or which trailer I bring I may bring two 7 gal cans and the 15 gal spray rig OR just one 7 gal can to refill as needed along the way. There is possibly ice chest water but I may use dry ice instead.

For us this trip has turned into 3 or maybe 4 "tours" including the Black Hills/badlands, the Rimrock trail, the Moab area and the Saw Tooth Mtn area on the return via the Southern route. We scrubbed the Northern NM area and other parts of CO mtns. but as always things are subject to change.

Any further thoughts of starting and returning to Moab as a central location?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Any further thoughts of starting and returning to Moab as a central location?
Don’t think that will be necessary thankfully...
We’re getting our Idaho plates/registrations.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For us this trip has turned into 3 or maybe 4 "tours" including the Black Hills/badlands, the Rimrock trail, the Moab area and the Saw Tooth Mtn area on the return via the Southern route. We scrubbed the Northern NM area and other parts of CO mtns. but as always things are subject to change.
That’s really cool...😎

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I watched the vid of the jeep group doing the trail and it looked pretty dry to me. There certainly could be some small streams or other water enroute that could be filtered. Depending upon whether or which trailer I bring I may bring two 7 gal cans and the 15 gal spray rig OR just one 7 gal can to refill as needed along the way. There is possibly ice chest water but I may use dry ice instead.
There’s a campground on the San Miguel river, and our water 5’s can also be filled in Nucla....

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great. Is there a recommended channel we all should use????
I would suggest you pick a GRMS channel and try it out. If theres other traffic on it then move up or down a channel. Just change channels as needed to keep a clear channel for you to use. I would also move to a different channel each day to keep that one person that may me monitoring your movements.
Everyone should have 20 or channels that are common to all the radios.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would suggest you pick a GRMS channel and try it out. If theres other traffic on it then move up or down a channel. Just change channels as needed to keep a clear channel for you to use. I would also move to a different channel each day to keep that one person that may me monitoring your movements.
Everyone should have 20 or channels that are common to all the radios.
Ok great, thanks for the guidance....👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!