WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As far as The dust. We just spread out enough to make it tolerable. The high altitude affects some 1000s. Especially with the load.. I believe we had 5 radios .. had a small honda generator for charging and lights at night in camp.. I believe all the pioneers were fine. 500 700 and 1000 as far as I know. No one actually over heated. 3 bars was the most I heard. Just stop for a few minutes and back to 2 bars. One of the 500s had a little packing problem. Had to restack load 1 time on return trip

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for the great info. Just trying to predict all realistic issues for the next round of trips.

I'm thinking about starting threads down lower in the Overlanding portion of the forums. Seems like it would be a good place to publicize new rides. Although most people will never go that far down on the page to read them.

Rob

Reactions: Pilgrim
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like an amazing trip. Thank you for the pictures. I'm so happy that you guys had such a great adventure.

For those that went on the trip, I have a few questions:
  1. I heard that dust was a huge issue on the roads. What seemed to work best for everyone to mitigate breathing it in?
  2. I think someone mentioned that some of the 1000s got a little hot on the trip. Was this an isolated issue with the combination of high altitude desert, being fully loaded and temps? Or are the 1000s a little prone to running hot?
  3. Did everyone have radios on the trip? Something like GMRS/FRS or were people in full HAM mode?
  4. Did anyone have a solar system for charging at camp?
  5. Did any particular type of Pioneer struggle the most on this trip? I have a P520 and feel like it will be well outfitted for the adventure, I just want to prep for the adventure the best I can.
I'm looking forward to next years Peace trail in AZ. I'm still trying to get my ducks in a row for our sleeping accommodations and cooking while on the trail.

My wife and I may be able to do both the AZ trip and a trip that is in British Columbia. This has some loose planning going on right now for sometime in the summer. Given that these are so different in terrain and environmental factors, It will take planning for one extreme to the next: hot desert with very little chance for rain to lush green logging trails and most likely a chance of rain each day...

I take it the steep slickrock picture above was from Fins n Things? Anything particularly difficult on the trail for anyone?

Thank you all!

Rob
The dust was quite bad at times and when it was most of us used gators.

I heard some of the P1000 drivers talking that some of the P1000s have weak fans, that might be the problem.

Several rigs had radios and there was always one at the front and one at the rear of the group. There is a member that sells and configures the radios at a very reasonable price, from what I heard, however others will need to provide info on that.

I don't think anyone had solar power, however one of the members brought a generator. I had a jumpstart/USB charger unit and charged it from the P500 while running during the day. I only use it for recharging electronic devises and it provided adequate power.

I have a P500 and am a large person, had my wife with me, and had a pretty good load and never went above two bars on the temp gauge. My P500 didn't have any problems on thee trip so a P520 with the increase low and mid power should be even better. The modifications to my P500 that paid off were better tires (26" 6ply), a better skid plate, larger cargo rack, and light bar.

Hope to see you at the Peace Trail next year.

WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning

My check koozie light, keeps coming on
Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2017
Magnolia Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the great info. Just trying to predict all realistic issues for the next round of trips.

I'm thinking about starting threads down lower in the Overlanding portion of the forums. Seems like it would be a good place to publicize new rides. Although most people will never go that far down on the page to read them.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
For those that went on this ride, what was the highest elevation you hit?

Reactions: Pilgrim
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We are in the calendar year for this ride now, just over 10 months of planning and prep remain….

How’s everyone doing?

@crewcabrob what’s your status relevant to this ride?

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
E1D85043 A9CD 4303 83AE AC4A72A14131
Awesome Times……let’s do it again,!,!

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kevin is recovering from having both hips replaced…..but doing pretty well… if he gets a job where he can get the time off I imagine he will be there….
I have no idea on the Rmax I hope so but time will tell

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
We are in the calendar year for this ride now, just over 10 months of planning and prep remain….

How’s everyone doing?

@crewcabrob what’s your status relevant to this ride?
Still working on it.

2022 has started of pretty poor for us. I’m still getting over COVID at this point. Tested positive on Tuesday this week. Had to cancel a trip two years in the making that we planned with our adult children. Trying to align their busy schedules along with thier spouses schedules, is a daunting task. My wife and I were taking them to Florida to see Mickey for a week. We should be there now.

I’ve had both shots and a booster, and it’s still kicking my butt. Pretty disappointI got way to start the year off.

Rob

• Sad
Reactions: Montecresto
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Great, now my wife tested positive for COVID. Both of us have had 3 vaccinations and we both still got COVID. Great way to start off 2022...

Won't know about the trip until much later, so many plans are getting pushed back.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Great, now my wife tested positive for COVID. Both of us have had 3 vaccinations and we both still got COVID. Great way to start off 2022...

Won't know about the trip until much later, so many plans are getting pushed back.

Rob
You’re good, it’s still 10 months off….👍

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Rob

It’s not a vaccine if it doesn’t prevent infection / disease

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It’s not a vaccine if it doesn’t prevent infection / disease

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Larry. We have forums for such topics….👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Just revisited the thread. I would be up for doing this trip again some day. The Rim Rocker is a lot closer and has less time commitment than some of the other trail rides that are planned.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just revisited the thread. I would be up for doing this trip again some day. The Rim Rocker is a lot closer and has less time commitment than some of the other trail rides that are planned.
Yeah, the most and best overlanding treks are in the western third of the US, it’s the most open and least populated…..👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You know there’s also the TransAmerica trail that cuts across the southern length of South Dakota perhaps just a few hours from you. It actually is 5,000 miles long. It could be eaten in pieces….😂👍😎

“Iconic trails like the Pacific Crest Trail and Appalachian Trail showcase our country’s natural beauty via hiking. Famous roads like Route 66, Pacific Coast Highway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway highlight scenic landscapes via paved highway. But what about those who want to venture off the pavement but stay on wheels?

Enter the Trans-America Trail. The TAT is a 4×4 vehicle route that stretches 5,000 miles across the lower 48 while avoiding paved roads as much as possible. The main travelers of the TAT are dual-sport motorcycle riders and overlanders who average about 200 miles per day winding through beautiful American landscapes from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific.”

57CDE489 0875 4C42 947B FCAE014D848C

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!