Multi The poor kid at Menards thought I was a pervert...

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So a buddy of mine showed me this neat fix for the sealed up gas cans that we all must live with now. Basically you put your own vent on the back top side of the gas can. I'm sure all of us have seen this in one iteration or another. I thought his was so neat because of the novel piece that he used, and the lack of a cap to break off and lose as part of the fix.

Of course when I asked him what the piece was called, he couldn't remember but he thought it was a "pitcock" or maybe a "stopcock".

So I march in the Menards late last week, picked up a few other things and ran back to the plumbing section. The guy up front walking around automotive had no idea what I was talking about, and I figured it had to be some kind of vent piece for a sink or tank somewhere. So I get ahold of this kid that couldn't have been 17 or 18 years old, and explain to him what I was looking for. Of course he nods enthusiastically and says that he knows what I'm talking about, but he is not sure what the name is or where it's at. So we take to the computer...

After searching "stopcock", "pitcock" and one other "cock" whose name escapes me (one word, hyphenated, two words... all variations), the kid turns to me and says, "umm sir, are you sure there's a "cock" in the name?"

It hadn't dawned on me to that point what a weirdo I must look like lol. We both had a little chuckle about it and I decided I would just roam around the aisles a little longer.

For those interested, this little do-hicky is called a "drain cock" and is actually meant for an air compressor I do believe. Works wonders in a gas tank and no cap to lose- just screw in to vent and out to close.

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to mention that this may or may not be legal in your state, and I would never advise you to do this (though if you were bored, watching the kid at the hardware store sweat as he typed "xyz-cock" into a company computer 10 times was entertaining).

IMG 20191031 111458
IMG 20191031 111502
IMG 20191031 111427
IMG 20191031 111422
IMG 20191031 111440

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the method that I like to use.

I like that. I saw some release valves that had the round "spinner" as opposed to my "T", but they were like 9-10 bucks compared to three for this one.

I never thought about reverse seating one of those though, or removing the stem. That's very clean looking.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thats a radiator
So a buddy of mine showed me this neat fix for the sealed up gas cans that we all must live with now. Basically you put your own vent on the back top side of the gas can. I'm sure all of us have seen this in one iteration or another. I thought his was so neat because of the novel piece that he used, and the lack of a cap to break off and lose as part of the fix.

Of course when I asked him what the piece was called, he couldn't remember but he thought it was a "pitcock" or maybe a "stopcock".

So I march in the Menards late last week, picked up a few other things and ran back to the plumbing section. The guy up front walking around automotive had no idea what I was talking about, and I figured it had to be some kind of vent piece for a sink or tank somewhere. So I get ahold of this kid that couldn't have been 17 or 18 years old, and explain to him what I was looking for. Of course he nods enthusiastically and says that he knows what I'm talking about, but he is not sure what the name is or where it's at. So we take to the computer...

After searching "stopcock", "pitcock" and one other "cock" whose name escapes me (one word, hyphenated, two words... all variations), the kid turns to me and says, "umm sir, are you sure there's a "cock" in the name?"

It hadn't dawned on me to that point what a weirdo I must look like lol. We both had a little chuckle about it and I decided I would just roam around the aisles a little longer.

For those interested, this little do-hicky is called a "drain cock" and is actually meant for an air compressor I do believe. Works wonders in a gas tank and no cap to lose- just screw in to vent and out to close.

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to mention that this may or may not be legal in your state, and I would never advise you to do this (though if you were bored, watching the kid at the hardware store sweat as he typed "xyz-cock" into a company computer 10 times was entertaining).

View attachment 163988 View attachment 163989 View attachment 163991 View attachment 163992 View attachment 163990
Thats a radiator drain! HA! Look on the older autos, if you are standing in front of the auto looking at it, most of the time it will be located on the back side on the lower right side of the radiator.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 163988 View attachment 163989 View attachment 163991 View attachment 163992 View attachment 163990

nice!

that’s the best idea I’ve seen for the EPA cans. Should last longer than the tire valve idea.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
J

JTW

I bought some petcocks a couple years ago to go in my cans like this...
2B85ED22 E919 4878 AFF4 DE7F6D8B8E27

This reminds me I still need to put my pet cock in them cans! :D

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Cool fix to a Obama induced problem, funny story to boot....lol
Actually, the new EPA standards were passed during the last year of the Bush administration and took effect during his last month. ;)

What Are the New Regulations?
The current EPA regulations are based on requirements started in California by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2000 and were updated in 2007. At that time, regulation of PFC design and manufacture was controlled by individual states, but that changed with the current EPA standards. As of January 1, 2009, all new PFCs produced and sold in the United States must be compliant with the EPA regulations.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought some petcocks a couple years ago to go in my cans like this... View attachment 164051

This reminds me I still need to put my pet cock in them cans! :D
You are a case! We have two of them at work, just in case, OSHA shows up, never had a drop of gas in them. I wonder when Government will stop trying to protect the ignorant public and start focusing on there more ignorant selves?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You
Actually, the new EPA standards were passed during the last year of the Bush administration and took effect during his last month. ;)

What Are the New Regulations?
The current EPA regulations are based on requirements started in California by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in 2000 and were updated in 2007. At that time, regulation of PFC design and manufacture was controlled by individual states, but that changed with the current EPA standards. As of January 1, 2009, all new PFCs produced and sold in the United States must be compliant with the EPA regulations.
You just repeated the most stupid thing I have ever heard, California. Talk to a refrigeration contractor about Freon? The new Freon is more dangerous than the previous. How did California get in the drives seat? California is burning to the ground because they wouldn't let there Forest Service do controlled under brush burning, because of an Owl, where is that Owl now?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You

You just repeated the most stupid thing I have ever heard, California. Talk to a refrigeration contractor about Freon? The new Freon is more dangerous than the previous. How did California get in the drives seat? California is burning to the ground because they wouldn't let there Forest Service do controlled under brush burning, because of an Owl, where is that Owl now?
Well, it is what it is dude. Never going to see a UTV with over 1000 CC because of that too. ;)

Reactions: Plumber32
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The other name is petcock, not pit . . . next time you see that kid, ask him for a hose bung! :D
Or a Drain cock! Or he can ask for some Calk and say it like they do on this old house with there Boston Accent “you put a bead Cock on dare” lmfao

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!