P1000 Things to look for buying used

W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am going to look at a used 1000-5 this weekend. This will be my first Sxs, so looking for advice on how to evaluate it. It has 200hrs and 1400 miles on it. I called the nearby Honda dealership and they want $200 to inspect it. Maybe that is worth it? However, it does complicate the logistics of looking at a used machine.
Any easy/straightforward things/issues that I should be looking for? or a little more detailed instructions on what to look for.

I got some pictures and the plastic shows some rash. I am not sure if this is because its been on it's side, or if its from trees b/c this "has been on the hunting lease and a few local trails" according to the posting. If it has been on it's side, how does that change the deal.

These are the pictures of the plastic they sent. Not sure how to get them to embed, but the links work.
sxs1
sxs2
sxs3
sxs4

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I am going to look at a used 1000-5 this weekend. This will be my first Sxs, so looking for advice on how to evaluate it. It has 200hrs and 1400 miles on it. I called the nearby Honda dealership and they want $200 to inspect it. Maybe that is worth it? However, it does complicate the logistics of looking at a used machine.
Any easy/straightforward things/issues that I should be looking for? or a little more detailed instructions on what to look for.

I got some pictures and the plastic shows some rash. I am not sure if this is because its been on it's side, or if its from trees b/c this "has been on the hunting lease and a few local trails" according to the posting. If it has been on it's side, how does that change the deal.

These are the pictures of the plastic they sent. Not sure how to get them to embed, but the links work.
sxs1
sxs2
sxs3
sxs4
What year is it? Where is it located? Are there more pictures of the machine? Are you mechanically inclined/familiar with ATV/UTV's? Lots of things to consider here. If that machine is from some place with a ton of rocky trails, rash on the plastics will look similar to that if they scrape the sides in the rocks. Trees and brush won't put wear like that on plastics, it would just be lots of scratches/scuffs. That being said, plastics aren't a good judge of what the machine has been through. We'll need some more info to help you out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club, by the way!.
Check the airbox tube under the front hood. is it muddy?
Does it have a snorkel?
Need to pull airbox lid off (that's an hour job or more for the unskilled) and have a look.
Look for mud around the battery? Like caked down.
Are seats pulling apart from the plastic frame?
Is the seat bottom really heavy? like full of water?
Has clutch update been done?
Were recalls done?
Gas pedal updated?

You should pay the $200!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Looks like some well worn mudlites on there as well

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you can look for brand new back models with good price on them. be careful buying used side by sides.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
By looking at the pictures I would not buy that one

Reactions: Redmoon
W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Year model is 2016 and priced low (9k), which is what makes it attractive and but also raises the level of concern. Personally, I don't care about the plastic damage, but it follows that if the outside looks like that, what does it look like underneath?
@Hondasxs Great questions...I don't know the answers, but thanks for the list of questions I need to ask them.
Here are the other pictures with the listing:
ss7
ss6
ss5
ss4
ss3
ss2

Last edited by a moderator:
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
That one has been ridden hard and in the mud extensively. If it has been in fairly deep water there is going to be some corrosion issues in every wiring plug front to rear. How are the brakes? Myself I would keep looking!

Reactions: WillieLane
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
oh man.. Fixed some of the images. Lost #1 because there were duplicates. If you post more, post as links or use the BBCode down at the bottom.

Anyways. That thing has been DEEEEEP. Look at those vent tubes. They are full of muddy residue inside.

The best advice I can give you is to close your browser. Delete all your cookies and bookmarks so you can't find the listing again.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
oh man.. Fixed some of the images. Lost #1 because there were duplicates. If you post more, post as links or use the BBCode down at the bottom.

Anyways. That thing has been DEEEEEP. Look at those vent tubes. They are full of muddy residue inside.

The best advice I can give you is to close your browser. Delete all your cookies and bookmarks so you can't find the listing again.
Lol, I agree. Walk on this one my man. There are plenty of better deals to be found.

Reactions: WillieLane
W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Advice heard loud and clear. The search continues...

Reactions: Eltobgi
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
9K? My new 2017 1000-3eps was 11,999 out the door in Las Vegas, NV. Why buy someone else's headache? Buy new!

W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
9K? My new 2017 1000-3eps was 11,999 out the door in Las Vegas, NV. Why buy someone else's headache? Buy new!

I agree that there is risk buying used, but your comparison is apples to oranges on models. Abernathy has 1000-5 for 14k without accessories. 30-40% off of retail is worth a little headache, especially with continued help from this great community to reduce the chance of buying a beater.

B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that there is risk buying used, but your comparison is apples to oranges on models. Abernathy has 1000-5 for 14k without accessories. 30-40% off of retail is worth a little headache, especially with continued help from this great community to reduce the chance of buying a beater.

I agree with you Willie. I try to buy used if possible. I bought my 2016 1000-5 deluxe used with 3700 miles. I've done regular maintenance items on it and its been great. Saved a lot $ buying used.

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a new 2018 1000-5 Deluxe from Abernathy's in July. It was a good buying experience and the price was great also.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!