Those from IOWA

smokebuzz

smokebuzz

Mar 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So, whats your take on HF 2130 and SF 2114 ? The state wide UTV/ATV on road use.

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Really? Do you have to license them for the street? My inlaws live in Sioux City and I want to get my SXS plated. Nebraska does not register or allow plates on SXS.

smokebuzz

smokebuzz

Mar 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We'll see after the senate gets done, but i think it will just be our normal registration and proof of insurance ..

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I called one of the county treasures in South Dakota to inquire about getting my pioneer licensed for the street. It’s not really that much and I have all of the pieces together to make it street legal. The problem is they want to charge me sales tax on a SXS I didn’t buy in SD. I bought it in Colorado and Nebraska doesn’t require a license or pay sales tax on a side-by-side unless you buy it within the state. I wasn’t willing to part with $400 just so I could get this accomplished.

Reactions: smokebuzz
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I called one of the county treasures in South Dakota to inquire about getting my pioneer licensed for the street. It’s not really that much and I have all of the pieces together to make it street legal. The problem is they want to charge me sales tax on a SXS I didn’t buy in SD. I bought it in Colorado and Nebraska doesn’t require a license or pay sales tax on a side-by-side unless you buy it within the state. I wasn’t willing to part with $400 just so I could get this accomplished.
That’s odd on the sales tax…first I heard of that one.

Typically that’s paid at the dealership in SD for atvs and such as they aren’t always titled and licensed. Cars are another story.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
That’s odd on the sales tax…first I heard of that one.

Typically that’s paid at the dealership in SD for atvs and such as they aren’t always titled and licensed. Cars are another story.

Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
They sent me the forms, I’ve posted them in another thread. I will dig them up.

Rob

Reactions: Smitty335
C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I don't think anyone is ever going to call Iowa a tourist draw to come ride I do believe it would definitely increase "local" tourism.
For instance Sunday we have approximately 6 utv's lined up for a rural roads tour from center point to stone city. That establishment will serve 12-15 meals they normally would not have. Somebody will need gas etc...
Safety wise... We are going to ride roads somewhere- Wisconsin, South Dakota, Arkansas etc.... When did state or county become liable for driver actions?

smokebuzz

smokebuzz

Mar 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
67 of 99 county's already have some sort of regulation, and several towns also allows UTV's as a mode of transportation. I like the fact of the state doing it, then it's the same everywhere in Iowa. It's gonna start as the "Shall Issue" did, after they get over their heartburn things will be fine. The town I live in, Nevada, is already hemorrhaging or the thought of it..

smokebuzz

smokebuzz

Mar 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just talked to a friend that moved from Iowa to South Dakota, all he paid was a registration and licensing fee, said it couldn't have been too much, cuz he didn't get pissed...

Iowamike

Iowamike

May 31, 2020
Dubuque Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X
While I don't think anyone is ever going to call Iowa a tourist draw to come ride I do believe it would definitely increase "local" tourism.
For instance Sunday we have approximately 6 utv's lined up for a rural roads tour from center point to stone city. That establishment will serve 12-15 meals they normally would not have. Somebody will need gas etc...
Safety wise... We are going to ride roads somewhere- Wisconsin, South Dakota, Arkansas etc.... When did state or county become liable for driver actions?
I live in Dubuque county and we still have quite a few roads off limits to atv/utvs. I can understand the major highways but some of these closures are dumb in my opinion. Jackson county to the south is open to everything except a few major highways. That county gets it, there is money to be spent on fuel and food. The attitude in northern Wisconsin is great , bring your machine and spend your money so that's where I do most of my riding. Not to mention there is a ton of off road up there.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I will have to call a different county and see if I get a different answer. Seemed crazy to pay sales tax after the fact for something purchased in a different state.

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will have to call a different county and see if I get a different answer. Seemed crazy to pay sales tax after the fact for something purchased in a different state.
I dont think your wrong in your understanding, that was the same conclusion about sales tax that I came to as well, however in Iowa we have to pay upon registration locally even if you purchased out of state...so my taxes are done, looks like it may be pretty straight forward for me to get plated in SD. (dont quote me but they "only" charge you like 4% which is less than what I paid locally)

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I dont think your wrong in your understanding, that was the same conclusion about sales tax that I came to as well, however in Iowa we have to pay upon registration locally even if you purchased out of state...so my taxes are done, looks like it may be pretty straight forward for me to get plated in SD. (dont quote me but they "only" charge you like 4% which is less than what I paid locally)
Sounds exactly like what I ran up against. 4% is kind of a big deal when you think about them taxing on a $10k purchase. $400 could be better spent on other parts. 😁

The other thing that I question is : why would I pay sales tax on something I have had for over a year? By their logic, I would need to pay sales tax even I purchased my SXS years ago. Doesn’t seem right.

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds exactly like what I ran up against. 4% is kind of a big deal when you think about them taxing on a $10k purchase. $400 could be better spent on other parts. 😁

The other thing that I question is : why would I pay sales tax on something I have had for over a year? By their logic, I would need to pay sales tax even I purchased my SXS years ago. Doesn’t seem right.
yeah I didnt say it was right haha. just was explained to me the same way. - I also never got clarification of whether that tax was based on current value or value at time of original purchsase?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I'm going to try again. I suspect this is a real money maker for the Black Hills counties. Maybe somewhere in the middle I will have better luck finding a county that is happy with less than $100 instead of the $500 with the tax bill added.

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!