Time to change your plow cutter/blade (steel) to something new!

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here's a cheap fix for snow plowing. Why not a rubber plow blade?

Go to a gravel pit and get some used conveyor belt, usually free. Cut the belt to the length of your steel cutter bar. Cut the width to about 12". Remove your steel cutter bar and attach, with 1/2" longer bolts two pieces of your cut conveyor belt. You will need a drill for the bolt holes in the conveyor belt. The belt should be positioned so it is centered on the steel cutter bar. This positioning will give you a very heavy duty rubber cutter that will squeegee your driveway, allow you to push snow out over your lawn without rolling the sod with a steel bar, eliminate wear on the plows skid shoes and make your life easier!. Also, after years of use, you just flip the rubber to get many more years of use. Should you want to do dirt pushing, just remove the rubber conveyor belt, replace the steel blade and go push dirt.

You say this won't work. Nah!! Been using this system on my John Deere Garden tractor plow for the last 23 yrs. Works great for slushy snow as well as 10-12" of the real thing. I have replaced the rubber only once after flipping it. The rubber will not damage your yard, will not tear up your blacktop drive, rides great over uneven cement, brick pavers and gravel / limestone. I have never in 23yrs replaced the skid shoes on the plow as they never touch the ground, but are there if needed, or my steel blade.

For those of you already doing this, your in the club!

Cheers

Last edited:
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
My only expense was the 1/2” longer bolts to install the two rubber pieces under the metal blade. Total cost for the carriage bolts, nuts and lock washers five years ago was about $9. Pretty inexpensive I would say.

The gravel pit operations are glad to give away the old conveyer belt, it just lays around in their way. While your there, the belt material makes a nice foot mat for in front of your garage work bench. Typically the belt is about 30” wide and any length you need.

Reactions: Rayger143
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Screenshot 20211202 192205 Dropbox

rubberwearstrip.com

Very satisfied repeat customer.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a cheap fix for snow plowing. Why not a rubber plow blade?

Go to a gravel pit and get some used conveyor belt, usually free. Cut the belt to the length of your steel cutter bar. Cut the width to about 12". Remove your steel cutter bar and attach, with 1/2" longer bolts two pieces of your cut conveyor belt. You will need a drill for the bolt holes in the conveyor belt. The belt should be positioned so it is centered on the steel cutter bar. This positioning will give you a very heavy duty rubber cutter that will squeegee your driveway, allow you to push snow out over your lawn without rolling the sod with a steel bar, eliminate wear on the plows skid shoes and make your life easier!. Also, after years of use, you just flip the rubber to get many more years of use. Should you want to do dirt pushing, just remove the rubber conveyor belt, replace the steel blade and go push dirt.

You say this won't work. Nah!! Been using this system on my John Deere Garden tractor plow for the last 23 yrs. Works great for slushy snow as well as 10-12" of the real thing. I have replaced the rubber only once after flipping it. The rubber will not damage your yard, will not tear up your blacktop drive, rides great over uneven cement, brick pavers and gravel / limestone. I have never in 23yrs replaced the skid shoes on the plow as they never touch the ground, but are there if needed, or my steel blade.

For those of you already doing this, your in the club!

Cheers
12" wide?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Cut as wide as you need. Uncut conveyer belt approx 30” wide. Just want to be able to mount with steel cutter bar in middle there by leaving enough rubber strip below the bar to scrape your drive (4” approx) and enough above bar (4” approx) to allow you to flip when the lower portion is worn (years later).

All pretty simple. Hope this helps. Kinda like the photo above, except there will be rubber strip above the steel cutter as well.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Cut as wide as you need. Uncut conveyer belt approx 30” wide. Just want to be able to mount with steel cutter bar in middle there by leaving enough rubber strip below the bar to scrape your drive (4” approx) and enough above bar (4” approx) to allow you to flip when the lower portion is worn (years later).

All pretty simple. Hope this helps. Kinda like the photo above, except there will be rubber strip above the steel cutter as well.
I've had mine (same size as the one I put on my buddy's in the pic above) for the better part of 6 or 7 years. It still looks brand new. I usually plow 2-4 100' asphalt or concrete driveways each day I plow (I'm a nice neighbor). I could flip my strip if needed (doesn't need to be 12" wide at all).

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ours. 5yrs on current scrapper edge. Doing 40x60’ cement apron , also 200’ blacktop drive and 2 neighbors, some blacktop street work, another 24x48’ cement apron and 24x48’ gravel area. Will flip in the future. I believe the idea is the same.

I should have said cut to your desired width. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

56874F7F 5E8B 4051 82F0 DACEF6CFF67B

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!