P500 Tire Chains

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Another issue is how cold your getting towards the end of plowing and you start to ‘not give a bleep’ and giver some. If a machine is overmatched by grade or snow depth and weight you’ll have issues too. Not waiting till it’s over helps. Changing to rain, quick freeze afterwards, too many variables. Don’t underestimate tire construction. The stickers you probably aren’t a fan of for normal conditions work well because of the softer rubber compound. I don’t plow with my P5 but I run my Rhino stockers with a 1000 screws in ‘em in the winter. You’d have to behave but may be an option??? I’m 2 1/2 miles in with a tractor with four chains, plow and a blower on the back and I still would rather lock both diffs on the Jeep or P5 after a big dump just because, so that makes anything I just added here meaningless…….
right tool for the job, I had plows on atvs, rzr's, p1000 - it works - seems more like a novelty - woulda been better buying a cheap truck, jeep, tractor, Cherokee, etc. and adding a plow if I had that much to do, thinking that plowing up hill with whatever chains on a light machine without spinning is not happening

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Well, I finally got my chains on and installed. It turns out that the Wesco site I linked in the first post only ships within Canada. Their sister company, Bluejay Industrial, ships to the US. The Bluejay site did not show the square link chains as available, but when I called, they do have them. I ordered their 14ATV–610SQ "Square Link Alloy ATV Pattern Chains". That was the size that showed up on the Wesco site for my 27x9-12 tires. The guy at Bluejay recommended the next size up for my tires 14ATV–615SQ, but said the 610 size should fit. It did fit, with a little bit of fussing to get it on. Once on the fit is great. He did say they normally don't run bungies or chain tensioners on their diamond pattern chains (which is also what the manufacturer of the similar pattern chains on my tractor said.)

If I were doing this over again, I'd order the larger size. It would probably be easier to get on, but these are easy enough.
The next accessory will be the Moose 2" receiver, but I have to wait for Santa to bring me that one.

P520 with Chains

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
The square link, diamond pattern chains got their first workout today: this was the first day there was enough snow to warrant plowing. It worked well enough with a 75# bad of sand in the back for ballast. The real test comes once the steep section of our driveway ices up. That has not happened yet this year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!