tire pressure for sharp rocky trails?

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I went from 12psi all around to 8 psi front and 10 psi rear on my 700-4. In 2 days we covered 60 miles of trail much of which was rocky. I ended up with a sidewall cut on both of my back tires and one wheel has 2 kinks on it. I can easily pound out the kinks using a tool that I made. I am wondering if the higher pressure saved me on the previous ride on the same exact rocky trails. Beyond avoiding sharp rocks and replacing the stock Blackstone tires with more sidewall ply..... what pressure is best to avoid cuts?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It can/will be different for every vehicle/tire/riding condition/speed, now you know what's too low FOR YOU. I'll be starting with 10 but I'm a fairly conservative driver when in 'impact country'. My ride is probably nearing 2000 pounds including me, spare tire and tools/supplies.

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have been to Colorado 2 times in the last 2 months and started with 12psi. I soon dropped to 7-8psi. My P1K3 is bone stock except for Fuel beadlock wheels. I consider myself a pretty good conservative driver, especially on the rougher and rockier terrain. I found my machine to ride better with the lower psi plus I like the way it seems to envelop the rocks and doesn't puncture them. That being said, when I replace my tires, big horn 2.0's, I am going with a heavier ply.

R

rickoshea

i was running full recommended psi for stock bighorns while i was getting a feel for my Elkas.now i'm down to 12 psi only because i can't do slow.if i'm finding them too stiff i just click down on the shocks.it's not perfect but it beats in/deflating the tires all the time.

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey Rick, which Elka's did you go with? I'm sure I've seen which ones somewhere, but can't recall. They are on my list of "things to do". My buddy has a 18' LE and I've ridden behind him enough to see that his machine rides much smoother than mine.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey Rick, which Elka's did you go with? I'm sure I've seen which ones somewhere, but can't recall. They are on my list of "things to do". My buddy has a 18' LE and I've ridden behind him enough to see that his machine rides much smoother than mine.
The three's or four's is all you will ever need, I've got the five's that have the rebound adjustment which you'll never need. Think Rick is running three's.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went from 12psi all around to 8 psi front and 10 psi rear on my 700-4. In 2 days we covered 60 miles of trail much of which was rocky. I ended up with a sidewall cut on both of my back tires and one wheel has 2 kinks on it. I can easily pound out the kinks using a tool that I made. I am wondering if the higher pressure saved me on the previous ride on the same exact rocky trails. Beyond avoiding sharp rocks and replacing the stock Blackstone tires with more sidewall ply..... what pressure is best to avoid cuts?
That depends largely on your tire. 8ply can get by with lower PSI than 4ply. I run 8psi on my 8ply Berserkers and have never had any problem riding rocks in MO, ARK, and TN.

R

rickoshea

correct.i'm a very aggressive driver and usually ride solo.just me and the trail.if i were to do it over i'd have gone with 4's for the rebound adjustment but a sane/normal person will do great with stage 3's.if you're on the fence about getting them,do it.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This question will get as many answers as what's your favorite brand of beer. That said, much does depend upon tire construction 4 ply vs. 8 or even 10 ply tires, how much your rig weighs fully loaded. etc.

That said I in nearly 12000 miles in rocky terrain I have only had 2 flats. Both were from either driving too fast and or not paying attention to trail hazards. (sharp embedded rocks that don't move)

With OEM Honda tires on P1K5D I ran 14-15 PSI until I wore tires out at over 3500 miles no flats.

With heavy 8 ply Roctane XD and ITP Blackwater tires I have ran 12-14 psi in them only getting one pinch flat in each.

Line choice and speed greatly determines when and how often you get a pinch flat along with tire design.

Running low pressure also increases risk of tire getting pushed off bead as well.

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I appreciate all of the insight, I just acquired some can am commander shocks. As of now I tried the ring spacers to avoid bottoming out on rocky drop offs, thus lowering the tire pressure as an attempt for a smoother ride then sliced the sidewalls, plugs got me home but not the greatest on sidewalls. Needless to say the articulation also sucked. I am going to keep running the stock tires for a while and go with higher sidewall ply later. I only have 2 more inches before the pioneer will not fit under the fold up bed in my toy hauler but i do feel that a taller tire upgrade will help as well with not kinking rims, I definitely wouldn't want an alloy/aluminum rim for rocks.

I kinda now think lower pressure with 2 ply sidewalls mushroom's under angled rocks then the rotation tears them, also allowing the tires to squish down to kink the bead on the rim. I pounded one out last night and it now does not leak.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!