P1000m5 Toddler helmet

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This past weekend we went for a ride in our 1000-5. We have 3 daughter ages 10,6, and 2. We were pulled over by a very understanding conservation officer on Saturday because our youngest was strapped in a car seat in the front seat but was wearing a bike helmet. The two other girls were in the back with full faced DOT helmets. He told us he should be issuing a ticket because the bike helmet does not meet the specifications of the law for the toddler. He had to get his partner to converse because he said he’s never not issued a helmet violation for a child, but he understood we were trying.I have scoured the Internet trying to find some type of helmet that would be light enough, small enough, and comfortable enough for her to wear that is DOT approved before getting pulled over and then for a couple hours yesterday. I have had no luck in finding something specific for our youngest kids. Does anybody have an option for me? I know this is a bit off topic but I know getting the whole family involved in something this group encourages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t think it’s off topic in the least.

Honestly I don’t know if there is a helmet for little tikes that small. Especially considering their necks aren’t that strong per say at that age.

I think most just roll with a car seat and maybe a bicycle helmet.

Honestly I’m sure helmet laws don’t consider in little tikes at all and the parents are left to make judgment calls.

For me my kids didn’t ride until they were 4.

Reactions: JenElio and Mudwing
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This past weekend we went for a ride in our 1000-5. We have 3 daughter ages 10,6, and 2. We were pulled over by a very understanding conservation officer on Saturday because our youngest was strapped in a car seat in the front seat but was wearing a bike helmet. The two other girls were in the back with full faced DOT helmets. He told us he should be issuing a ticket because the bike helmet does not meet the specifications of the law for the toddler. He had to get his partner to converse because he said he’s never not issued a helmet violation for a child, but he understood we were trying.I have scoured the Internet trying to find some type of helmet that would be light enough, small enough, and comfortable enough for her to wear that is DOT approved before getting pulled over and then for a couple hours yesterday. I have had no luck in finding something specific for our youngest kids. Does anybody have an option for me? I know this is a bit off topic but I know getting the whole family involved in something this group encourages.

First ....... dadgum, you mean it is ILLEGAL to ride in a SxS in Minn. withOUT a helmet???? Second ...... what kinda LEO has NEVER given a warning on any particular violation ....... sounds like the Gestapo!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

This was the best fitting helmet I could find for my little girl. I tried some other more expensive helmets but this one fit better than any of the others. It's not cheap, but I know she'll be safe. I bought it when she was 2 and she wears it in her carseat in the front with the goggles on if we're in the woods. She's 3 now and can look around and take it on and off by herself. I just took these photos for you; she's got a normal sized noggin for her age:

Fox V1 Youth Small

This is from her birthday last year, she could look around but was more of a bobble head:

Reactions: JenElio
R

rickoshea

have you looked at beanie style with goggles?they're all over the place and come in xx small.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Honestly I don’t know if there is a helmet for little tikes that small. Especially considering their necks aren’t that strong per say at that age.

Honestly I’m sure helmet laws don’t consider in little tikes at all and the parents are left to make judgment calls.

We ride with my wife’s 80-year-old grandparents by their farm. The only other ATVs we met in the six hours we rode had conservation officers on them. I’d be surprised if we broke 30 miles an hour.She is strapped in in a car seat that goes over her head. She’s also a hellion. The officer said something like what you did” if she’s too young to wear a helmet maybe she shouldn’t ride”. I said she’s too wild and no one wants to watch her. I got a chuckle out of him.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

like @Vikes79 said, her neck is probably not the strongest so I would put on a helmet like @Adam490 mentioned and one of them neck pillows like u use on a plane. To keep some of the weight off her head n neck and also help with any sideways jerking movements.

R

rickoshea

all my grandkids ride in mine with their skateboard helmets.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!