P1000 Let's talk about Helmets, please.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Here is where I am on this.

Open face for talking to others while riding, and they are cooler during the heat.

Full face is great for the winter, plowing & riding, but not so good for talking.

That leads me to modular. Is that the best of both worlds?

Thanks!

Johhn

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Here is where I am on this.

Open face for talking to others while riding, and they are cooler during the heat.

Full face is great for the winter, plowing & riding, but not so good for talking.

That leads me to modular. Is that the best of both worlds?

Thanks!

Johhn
Why not just get a com system like most Goldwing riders do? The open face and the closed face both have their detractors. The modular used to be really expensive for what they are (its been awhile).

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
This is the first one up on Amazon,
and a few others I searched for seem
to be similarly priced. DOT approved.

Not too bad to me.

http://www.amazon.com/GLX-Modular-Helmet-Shield-Matte/dp/B005QIG9DS?tag=sxsweb24-20

John
I dont know if you have ever worn helmets before so I don't want to come across as insulting.
UNLESS you have personally tried that specific make and model on and worn it around for about 20-30 min DO NOT BUY IT SIGHT UNSEEN.
I can tell you from 28 years of motorcycles that "pinch points," "hotspots," and headaches are a guarantee if you do not take the time to buy one the right way. Ask me how I know....
A helmet is something that you need to do in person, its not like underwear or socks.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I forgot to add....
Different makers sizes fit VERY differently. Some helmets I have had were large, some XL and the last one I bought a medium fit me the best, go figure.

Reactions: ohanacreek and tig
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I like my Bilt modular helmet from Cycle gear. The best part is the tint lens that also flips down so I don't have to worry about sunglasses. Can't beat it for $85.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lighter helmets are more expensive but your neck and back will love you for spending the extra money.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
MaleRN,
I have never bought or had need of a helmet
other than once when I rented a quad, and this kind
of input is exactly why I posted this question here.

I will take your comments to heart.

Thanks!

John

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
MaleRN,
I have never bought or had need of a helmet
other than once when I rented a quad, and this kind
of input is exactly why I posted this question here.

I will take your comments to heart.

Thanks!

John
If it helps...
i have always gone into my dealer (Honda, Kawasaki etc) to try on helmets to find one i like and one that fits. I then go home and look to see who has the best price on the internet, including shipping. I will print out that price (the best one) and take it back to the dealer and give them a chance to price match or come very close. If they want my business, they come close otherwise my research for my next purchase is already done.
If it adds any additional help, I prefer dirt bike helmets. Lighter and more airflow in a cockpit-like environment (UTV).
Please also remember that the "service life" of a helmet is only about 5 years. Your sweat and minor head bumping against objects degrades the absorbing (EPS) material. Pick up the helmet review issue of either Cycle World, Sportbike, or Motorcyclist magazine. One of those three, i cant remember which, has a helmet review issue every year or two.

advertisement
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I run a motocross helmet because after years of riding dirt bikes that's what I already had. I've found that with or without a helmet, you still have to yell to talk to your passenger. And, after a few spills on the dirtbike I doubt I'll ever buy an open face helmet!

H

HondaTech

When it comes to helmets, cheap is the worst thing to look for. I know SXS's are a whole different world vs dirtbikes, but I went with a 6D when riding my CR250.

There incredibly exspensive, but your head is the worst thing to take a hit on. Anything with a double layer is good, stay away from single layer helmets. For street, I got an Shoei, but again it's exspensive, and I got a good deal on it.

Reactions: Kingmudd
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might actually consider a Snell certified helmet on a SXS because there is a better likelihood of your head hitting the same place twice.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I might actually consider a Snell certified helmet on a SXS because there is a better likelihood of your head hitting the same place twice.
If you want to be technically correct...
According to the manufacturers, ANY contact with bars may cause enough damage to the EPS( or whatever they use now) need to be replaced or examined for replacement. The only way to know for sure if you have damaged the shock absorbing liner would be to send it in to have it looked at. Would I ever do this, no. Something is always better than nothing (helmet wise). I would put padding on any exposed metal bars that my head or body could come into contact. I would also wear a helmet that gets replaced at least every 5 years if you are anal about head trauma.
The new research being done about concussions and frequent head "hits" would interest me also because of the possibility of head trauma with or without a helmet. I worry too much though...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look at SNELL 2000, it is two hits to the same place in one accident. Both hits must register under a certain threshold.

DOT only rated helmets generally have a softer material that absorbs the impact of a single hit much better (lower G) because the SNELL 2000 requires two under the threshold in the same location so they are generally very close to the threshold.

With a ROPS and being secured into a seat I would imagine the likelihood of your head/helmet contacting the same or a very similar point more than once is higher than being thrown from a motorcycle.

I high-sided my bike a few years ago and rolled for a 50yds or so and never hit the same place on the helmet twice, but there were quite a few hits and I had a mild concussion. I will ALWAYS were a helmet if I'm not in a cage and I might consider wearing a helmet in certain environments even in a cage.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ALWAYS , ALWAYS , ALWAYS

Replace helmets and car seats in their entirety after accidents.

Your head and your kids lives are worth more than a few hundred dollars everytime.

Reactions: joeymt33
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Look at SNELL 2000, it is two hits to the same place in one accident. Both hits must register under a certain threshold.

DOT only rated helmets generally have a softer material that absorbs the impact of a single hit much better (lower G) because the SNELL 2000 requires two under the threshold in the same location so they are generally very close to the threshold.

With a ROPS and being secured into a seat I would imagine the likelihood of your head/helmet contacting the same or a very similar point more than once is higher than being thrown from a motorcycle.

I high-sided my bike a few years ago and rolled for a 50yds or so and never hit the same place on the helmet twice, but there were quite a few hits and I had a mild concussion. I will ALWAYS were a helmet if I'm not in a cage and I might consider wearing a helmet in certain environments even in a cage.
I so did not know this. Thanks for educating me! The stuff changes so fast.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I so did not know this. Thanks for educating me! The stuff changes so fast.

Yeah it does, I wouldn't call that much of an education. SNELL has much revised their testing methods and test designs since SNELL 2000, the amount of R&D that goes into QUALITY helmets is impressive. People joke about protecting your noggin, but its not a joke. TBIs can occur when theres little or no visible sign of injury, and can cause MAJOR changes in lifestyle and ability to care for yourself. You could be 22 and even if you are still fully capable of moving around on your own you may not be able to remember where you are, what year it is or speak clearly if at all. It may be the old man or the fact I have a friend with a TBI (helmet wouldn't have helped him) that I am describing above that at 22 was injured and 15 years later he still can't function in society but is otherwise fully healthy. That makes me feel looking "cool" without a helmet just ain't worth it.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
I am too old to even try to look cool (according to my teenager)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!