Tongue weight of my trailer

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's a crude picture of how I checked my tongue weight, but it's how I did it.
Tongue weight should be about 15% of gross weight of your trailer and load. My Talon is about 1600 pounds and the trailer is about 800 pounds 15% of 2400 pounds is 360. I used our glass top home scale and promised to buy my wife a better light up scale if I broke this one. I put a piece of plywood on the ground with the scale on it.Then I put a rug on to smooth out the weight from the decking boards and larger wood pieces above. I use whatever is close at hand. Then I raised the jack to put all tongue weight on the coupler. With the Talon all the way forward to the front rail, I showed a weight of 396#. When I subtracted the 45# of wood stacked on the scale before the tongue weight was added, I had 349#.

I painted a mark on the trailer where my rear axle was-baseline. Then I moved the Talon backwards 2",4",& 6" and reweighed. Each 2" made it about 30# lighter.

With the Talon on my trailer all the way forward 349# TW.
IMG 20210130 145504188

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you get an overall side view on the trailer?

Mine at 250 pound TW on a 14' 850 pound trailer. I went light because the RV is only rated at 350 lb. TW and I wanted a cushion; luckily it tows straight and stable. It sits about 3" further back without the spares and bed extender at 250 lb. TW.
I SWv6W2c L

Without spares and bed extender, also 250 lb. TW.
I HKN8qgv M

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you get an overall side view on the trailer?

Mine at 250 pound TW on a 14' 850 pound trailer. I went light because the RV is only rated at 350 lb. TW and I wanted a cushion; luckily it tows straight and stable. It sits about 3" further back without the spares and bed extender at 250 lb. TW.
View attachment 251996

Without spares and bed extender, also 250 lb. TW.
View attachment 251997
The trailer is loaded and ready to go to Bisbee tomorrow. SXS's are allowed on site in the Resort, but trailers must be kept in the storage area. I'm way over the towing capacity of my towing vehicle. My lowest marked TW placement is 261#. That has my rear wheels hanging over the end of the trailer somewhat. The usable trailer bed gives me about 8" to play with front to back and leaves about 1 1/2" on each side of my tires when loaded. My trailer has old fashion ramps that must be placed each use. I came to Arizona this year without thoughts of buying a SXS or trailer. Or I would have driven my truck. When I have time I plan to relocate my spare from the tongue area to just in front of my right wheel.

Do you have an app that changes the color of your Talon when you remove the spares and extender?

• Haha
Reactions: GrnP500 and Coeus
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Do you have an app that changes the color of your Talon when you remove the spares and extender?

HA!!! Good one! Somebody is paying attention.

ETA: 10% has long been considered the minimum tongue weight for safe towing. A little more is better, if the tow vehicle can handle it. If your trailer sways, you likely need more tongue weight.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

The red 2020 was stolen while at the dealership for maintenance (leaking front diff seal), 10 weeks later they were able to replace it with the white 2021 (covid unobtanium).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!