P700 Torque converter intermittent engagement at idle

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Being new it might be a part of the break in (20hrs), however I noticed during one of the drives the torque converter had an intermittent engagement at idle.

It would kick in/kick out while at idle in gear. The rpm was correct when it was doing it. Last time we drove it it didn't do it

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've never noticed this on either of the 2 700's I've had new, but they certainly behave oddly for those 1st few miles.

The 1st/reverse clutch doesn't engage until the computer senses throttle opening via the throttle position sensor (AKA "creep control" by Honda). Until that, there should be no real drive in the drivetrain other than the normal drag from parts moving in close proximity to each other.

Reactions: Mudwing
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've never noticed this on either of the 2 700's I've had new, but they certainly behave oddly for those 1st few miles.

The 1st/reverse clutch doesn't engage until the computer senses throttle opening via the throttle position sensor (AKA "creep control" by Honda). Until that, there should be no real drive in the drivetrain other than the normal drag from parts moving in close proximity to each other.
At idle it would lurch about once every second, but no fluctuation to rpm. Best to describe it as engage, disengage, engage, disengage...... which would case a slight movement, on, off, on, off..........

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is it hard to shift?
Is there free play in the throttle cable?

Might just have to put some miles on it.

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is it hard to shift?
Is there free play in the throttle cable?

Might just have to put some miles on it.
No, not hard to shift, feel there's enough free play. I'm not seeing it related to RPM.
I'm feeling it needs to break in further as I hear these trannys need that a bit.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
No, not hard to shift, feel there's enough free play. I'm not seeing it related to RPM.
I'm feeling it needs to break in further as I hear these trannys need that a bit.
I think that's the best thing to do. Drop what you're doing right now and go riding!

• Love
Reactions: HPnMORE4J
B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
At idle it would lurch about once every second, but no fluctuation to rpm. Best to describe it as engage, disengage, engage, disengage...... which would case a slight movement, on, off, on, off..........
Mine would do that if I had my foot just slightly resting on the gas pedal.

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!