Towing the Pioneer

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I was reading the manual and it states in there that the Pioneer shouldn't be towed.If it breaks down your supposed to load it onto a trailer and haul it in for repair.Here's my question {not that its going to happen cause its a Honda} but say if your way back in the back country with Buddies/Friends and your Pioneer quits and won't start.Now do you leave it out there or do you get it towed back to your vehicle and trailer.I know I wouldn't want to leave it out where things could happen to it so my question is?? Why do they not want you to tow the Pioneer,will it harm the transmission :?: I think we all need to know this about the Pioneer.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
I would assume that the manual is talking about towing the vehical in to the dealer on the blacktop at high rates of speed, such as you would have your car towed if you were to break down. I can't see that it would hurt anything at all to 'tow' slowly through the woods, fields, etc. to get back home if you broke down.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do the wet clutches use splash lubrication? If so if the engines not running it could cause damage but if you are going slow <5 mph would it still do damage?

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, I think they mean like on a tow truck down the road. I dont think they mean pulling it back to the truck with a rope, not that anyone will ever have to do that. Lol maybe if you run out of gas something.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Just came back from the dealer and the teck was saying it wouldn't hurt to tow it back to the truck/trailer.Guess Honda means not to pull behind tow truck or vehicle down the highway etc.Felt better once talking to them.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
and thats why i dont read manuals!

Reactions: Hondasxs
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The front diff and rear gearbox will still overheat if towed to fast.
Possibly the trans (depending on design) might be damaged by prolonged towing even in neutral, since it's a wet trans the engine might need to be on to circulate oil for lubrication.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ohana, N will not engage the trans or clutches. Only the final shaft in the sub trans turns. And you will never tow it fast enough to overheat the diff's.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First line, I was talking about on-road. Didn't proofread that.

10/4, stating something to consider, or for someone to answer, wasn't sure what all was engaged and how it was lubed.

Reactions: SkyPup and Hondasxs
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!