TPS @ 78%

Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi Folks,
I was at BlackRock Nevada last weekend on the Playa where it is smooth/flat for miles. I noticed that at full throttle my Talon would nose over a little, but if I backed off the throttle to about 3/4, it would accelerate. This in in 6th gear about 60 mph. I have the Jackson turbo kit, (not that it has anything to do with it) and that kit came with a "Flash Tool". The flash tool can be used to see RPM, TPS, Temps and other basic info, along with the ability to enter tire size for shift mapping and speedo etc. I had flashed my Talon for 32" tires about a month ago and when I was at BlackRock, the speedo was off by about 7mph at 60, so I hooked up the flash tool to reflash for speedo, and check the TPS reading. At full throttle, both running and not, the TPS reads 78% max. When I back off slowly the TPS % slowly and steadily drops like it should. Not jumping around, but its almost like it needs adjusted (?) somewhere to get full throttle? Has anyone had a TPS go bad, or know of an adjustment?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My stock non-turbo reads 0 closed and 78.5 WOT (I have several log files showing it). Mine has never "nosed over" like you describe. Sounds like a WOT rich or lean condition, do you have a wideband installed to read AFR?

I have the Jackson turbo kit, (not that it has anything to do with it)
Why would you say that? With the amount of problems that Jackson has had with tunes, I think it probably has everything to do with it. Are you running the most up to date flash?

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been in contact with Jackson several times in the last 3 months. I am unable to download the latest firmware. I have told them that I have tried everything, and they keep replying asking me to try something I have already tried dozens of times. All I have been able to do is Re-Flash the old firmware. That has not helped. If I cannot get the firmware to download eventually, I will have to take it to Honda and have them figure it out. Also, Jackson says that by re-flashing with the proper tire size does not correct the speedo, just trans mapping. I find that odd, but whatever. Interesting, Paul, that yours does only read 78.5%. I would think that too is concerning. Does anyone else know their TPS % ? I do not have any way to read the AFR, or have a wideband. I cant imagine Honda designed the TPS to less that 99-100%. When I describe "nose over", it does not slow down, it just flattens out. It accelerates again as I lift the throttle to about 80% (probably 78%).. It may be lean or rich above that %, no way to tell.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The TPS isn't shown in percent, it is in degrees. The throttle angle is limited to around 78.5 degrees because of the throttle shaft. The shaft limits the flow at that point so they don't open them any further because it doesn't do any good and keeping them under 90 degrees ensures the air rushing past pulls the plates closed and not open.

If you are not on the current firmware, you are most likely running rich. There was a problem with the altitude compensation so the higher in altitude you go, the richer you will run. Black Rock is about 3,800 feet and that is about where you will begin to notice the high altitude rich issues that plagued the earlier firmwares. At 7,000 feet, the early firmware ran horrible and at 11,000 feet it wouldn't even run at all. You need the most recent firmware to run correctly.

If you want to correct your speedo, you will need 1 SpeedoDRD (model H3) unit on the front VS Sensor calibrated to about +11.7%. You can get one on Amazon for $70 shipped...

Reactions: sandbaja and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
FYI, I was not able to download the firmware in Chrome but was able to in Explorer. I will PM you a link to it on my OneDrive.

Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wow, Paul, That is some great info. Thank You! - I tried Chrome, Edge, Opera and Firefox. All got to the same spot as if it downloaded, and then when I try to open it, it says this..

If I hit ignore it will not work, retry just gives the same message instantly. I have tried to install it in several different destination folders with the same error. I have tried renaming the folder, the download.. and everything I can think of and can't get it to work. I have also completely uninstalled all, several times and started all over... nothing different.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You are not being very clear. You first said you could not download the file but now you say you can. Now you are showing an error that appears to be an installation problem.

Let me try to help you, answer these questions (all of them)
  1. What version of Windows are you running?
  2. Have you successfully downloaded the JRFWSetup106.exe file?
  3. Are you double clicking the downloaded JRFWSetup106.exe file?
  4. When you double click on JRFWSetup106.exe, does it give you the "User Account Control" warning?
  5. If you push "Yes" does it then start the installer?...

Reactions: sandbaja and CID
Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul, evidently the problem had to do with my computer. Maybe my anti-virus/malware? I went to my wifes computer and used the link you sent me (would not work on mine) and it worked. My flash tool now says it has the version 6. (was 4).
I believe it was downloading it, but when I tried to open it, it would gives that error. A moot point now. I will order that sensor for the speedo you recommend as well. I have read dozens of your replies regarding these Talons to a variety of people, your knowledge is astounding. Thank You for all of the quality advice you lend to folks. BTW, windows 10, same as hers. different anti-virus'.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That damn pesky AV software! Glad you were able to resolve it and thanks for the complement!

Now go flash the machine and see how she runs!!!

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
i had same problem with av software. luckily im a bit of a computer geek and figured it out

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!