P1000 Trailer Brakes?

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The question of a tow rig handling the load of a pioneer is not the problem. The problem with a 3000# gross weight trailer is that the empty weight of most single axle trailers is about 800lbs and up. A Pioneer 1000-5 as it comes from the dealer weighs about 1700lbs. That puts your trailer weight at about 2500lbs allowing 500lbs useful load for any add-ons and extra gear to reach the trailers maximum weight. Things run a higher rate of failure when loads are exceeded such as tires, bearings and in some cases even frame components. I've seen many a trailer sitting along side the road with failed tires and bearings. Whatever you tow check trailer thoroughly each trip and avoid sitting along side the road. You cant have fun riding until you get there safely,

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The question of a tow rig handling the load of a pioneer is not the problem. The problem with a 3000# gross weight trailer is that the empty weight of most single axle trailers is about 800lbs and up. A Pioneer 1000-5 as it comes from the dealer weighs about 1700lbs. That puts your trailer weight at about 2500lbs allowing 500lbs useful load for any add-ons and extra gear to reach the trailers maximum weight. Things run a higher rate of failure when loads are exceeded such as tires, bearings and in some cases even frame components. I've seen many a trailer sitting along side the road with failed tires and bearings. Whatever you tow check trailer thoroughly each trip and avoid sitting along side the road. You cant have fun riding until you get there safely,

Or watching YOUR trailer tire pass you on the road! LOL.

With a significant load I prefer dual axles in the event of a tire/bearing failure. Also with proper technique it is possible to recover from a third party failure to secure the trailer to the hitch using just the safety chains. Don't ask me how I know this.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here in Colorado, brakes are a very nice feature to have because of the mountains. Lots of steep downhills. I bought some off of Amazon and installed them myself. Very easy to install trailer brakes. Why wouldn’t you, they are only $160! Makes no sense not to.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
My 5x10 aluminum trailer is about 350 lbs.

Reactions: crewcabrob
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
That said,
If you have the ability to get brake axle-axles, they save a bunch on your tow rig's breaks and in an emergency, they will help stop you more quickly.
JMO
I agree, I tow with my 1500 silverado, didn't need trailer brakes but I put them on my 6.5'x12' single axle trailer because I could. The parts are cheap enough online and I needed to rewire the lights anyways so I just put the brakes on at the same time. I set the controller so I dont have to apply any more brake pressure to stop than I would without the trailer/load.

Reactions: bluemountainbugler
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Marcel said it best:

Reason You NeedBrakes--- Other Inconsiderate Drivers = @!##!

I'm quite sure most if not all have been there more than once?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That said,
If you have the ability to get brake axle-axles, they save a bunch on your tow rig's breaks and in an emergency, they will help stop you more quickly.
JMO

Took my own advice and ordered a Dexter electric brake kit for our other 7' x 14' single axle trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoinForARip
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello to all!

Long time Lurker, first time poster.

I have put a deposit down on a 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe, and am playing the waiting game due to high demand for these beauties. It might be another month + before mine arrives, and I feel like a kid at Christmas all over again :)

In the mean time I am looking at utility trailers to haul my new toy. It seems like most photos I see hauling a Pioneer 1000-5 (or similar sized SXS) are on single axel 3000lb GVRW trailers, and likely no trailer brakes.

So my question is - how do you find hauling the Pioneer with a 3000lb GVRW trailer, with no trailer brakes? I have only ever towed trailers with brakes, but was usually hauling a significantly higher weight than 3000lb. I drive a 2012 F-150 Crew Cab, in the moderately mountainous interior of Vancouver Island BC.

Would I be wise to upgrade and spend the extra $ on a trailer with brakes? Or is the 3000lb GVRW trailer not an issue being towed behind a half ton truck?

And yes, pics will be shared when she is mine!!!

Thank you :)

Congrats and welcome to the club. Pulling the pioneer with a trailer and no brakes isn't a big deal. The truck will pull it and stop it just fine.

However.... If most of your traveling is in a mountainous area there are a few things to consider.
1. Trailer brakes will help your truck brakes last longer
2. In an emergency your truck will stop faster if your trailer has brakes.

That being said, hopefully number 2 never becomes an issue. But if it does, and being in the mountains, you may wish you had brakes.

Long story short, if you've got the cash, I'd buy one with brakes. If not, it's not the end of the world.

J

JTW

My .02... I like a tandem axle. As said above it doesn’t take long or much weight to be overweight when you start adding accessories and crap for a long weekend camping trip. I would suggest a 14-16’ as it just gives you more room and use for other things and you can adjust your load better. A couple extra feet won’t make much difference in getting around. The brakes are a nice feature but depending on what you’re hauling it with. Not a necessity. I know I’m pushing the limit of what you “need” but here’s the thing. You’re just starting out and if you have to buy a trailer buy one that can service you for years to come and different machines down the road. I would be willing to be that half the guys here have bought a trailer they needed at the time and a couple years later, “oops... I wish I’d bought one 2 foot longer”. Tandem axles are safer and easier to change a flat in the side of the road. If you go single axle get a 5200# axle as you’re going to be pushing the limits sooner than later. And honestly, it’s less about the trailer not handling it as it is the cheap tires they put in them. I don’t know your budget or what your expectations are. But think about how you want to tie the machine down too. Do you want steel or aluminum. Blah blah blah..

Reactions: GoinForARip
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With so little supply for light aluminum trailers, I finally went to my local trailer dealer to buy a simple steel dual axle open trailer. To my surprise, the dealer had just received a new 7X14 enclosed trailer with a "78 inch" (actual 80 inch) door height and I bit. This was the first of these units the dealer had received in a year. I have now remove the inside spare tire. There is enough vertical clearance for slightly larger sand tires on my Pioneer 1000 5. I have to crawl out the back of the Honda to get out! The rig tows find empty with a standard hitch. The rig tows much much better _loaded_ with a load leveling hitch. I really appreciate electric brakes when traveling over mountain passes here in Oregon. Here are some photos!

Trailer1

TrailerRear
TrailerFront

advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
With so little supply for light aluminum trailers, I finally went to my local trailer dealer to buy a simple steel dual axle open trailer. To my surprise, the dealer had just received a new 7X14 enclosed trailer with a "78 inch" (actual 80 inch) door height and I bit. This was the first of these units the dealer had received in a year. I have now remove the inside spare tire. There is enough vertical clearance for slightly larger sand tires on my Pioneer 1000 5. I have to crawl out the back of the Honda to get out! The rig tows find empty with a standard hitch. The rig tows much much better _loaded_ with a load leveling hitch. I really appreciate electric brakes when traveling over mountain passes here in Oregon. Here are some photos!

View attachment 290616
View attachment 290617View attachment 290618
Nice trailer.

if you park your Honda as far as you can to the right side of the trailer, you can get out of the drivers door by stepping out with your right foot first.

Basically you need to rotate 180 in the cab and step out. I did this for many years before selling my enclosed 7x14 trailer this spring.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
remember the axle rating of a trailer can be no more than the entire weight of the trailer and cargo minus tongue weight.

So if you have a 3500# axel and the trailer is 1300# you can only put 2550# of cargo on it, if you have exactly 350# of tongue weight.

Most SxS are not the slim 1500# they tell you on the specs, mine is 2700#.

Trailer brakes are great for controlling sway and reducing wear on your tow rigs brakes. if you have a 5500# tow vehicle and you're stoping a 4000# trailer its getting close to stoping 2 of your tow vehicles.

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice trailer.

if you park your Honda as far as you can to the right side of the trailer, you can get out of the drivers door by stepping out with your right foot first.

Basically you need to rotate 180 in the cab and step out. I did this for many years before selling my enclosed 7x14 trailer this spring.
WOOOW! THAT WORKED! You saved me a bunch of head bumps, knee scrapes and I no longer need to carry a step stool.

Thanks,
Jeff

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I tried to move the spare to the front, outside of the trailer, in a vertical orientation and it interfered with my load leveling bars. I ended up moving the spare to the front floor of the trailer. Better here I think as it is out of sight.

Spare

Reactions: CID
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi. I had a tandem axle steel trailer - 1,700 pounds dry weight with brakes.
My tow vehicle is a Toyo 4Runner, so I don't have a heavy tow rig to manage the trailer weight.
That's why I need trailer brakes.
After a while, I sold the steel trailer and bought an Aluma 6812H. The H is for the 3,000 pound rated axle and it came with the mounting plates for the brakes. They work great.
The best thing is that the trailer is 650 pounds, which shaved off 1,100 pounds of trailer dead weight. And because it's under 700 pounds, it does not have to be registered. So I save $80 per year.
I've been very happy with it and it fits my Pioneer just perfect.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!