Talon Trailing arm height on R vs X

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those who have the R, do you ride on rough rock climbing trails any and if so does the lower height of the R's trailing arm hang on rock ledges/etc? I do rougher trails and I'm trying to decide whether to get the R or the X. The R had a wider stance and is longer with more travel so on paper it should be more stable in off camber situations and be a little better in the rocks and with a slightly smoother ride to boot. I just don't like how the trailing arm on the R hangs down so low...reducing the approach angle of the rear tires slightly. Has it been an issue for anyone? I love the size of the X...I just feel like the travel numbers are slightly down compared to other sport machines, especially for technical rock climbing. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

My GM and his buddy went riding couple weekends ago in Harlan county (his buddy has been twice before) and while it's not straight rock, it's a hellacious place to ride at their pace.

Looking under the 1 guys the trailing arm guards had 1 good gouge but otherwise wernt horrible. Neither of their bumpstops had bottomed to shock yet.

Both have R models.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric37866
E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok good. I was just concerned with the approach angle at the rear. I love the size and setup of the x better but the R's suspension and width is more what i need in rocks and off camber rutted situations. Cant have it all i guess..

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
One thing to consider if you like the X better for size but the R for stability in width for rock crawling ect.

When I put 30 X 10 R15 tires on all four corners with a 5 x 2 offset rim, my width went out to 67 1/2"
only a 1/2" less than the "R".
If you go this route, you will need 1 1/2" spacers in the rear to square up the rear to the front.
When I did this I took delivery from the dealer with this tire wheel setup. They installed a set of 4 x 137 spacers that they said would work.
I have sense replaced them with a set of spacers from RB3 off road. They make a set for Honda with the proper 4 X 136 size.

I did this because I run a lot of pavement miles at higher speeds and the 4 X 137 I thought created a slight imbalance.
Off road it was not noticeable... DRK

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hadn't thought about increasing width with the wheels...and so the rear end is 3 inches narrower than the front which answers another question i had about the Talon. Seems like here on the East coast some people say the r is a lot better in rough technical and off camber stuff but then they say the x is so much more nimble and funner to drive in tighter trails. Big decision to make before dropping 20k...

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes! Meanwhile, efforts are underway to decrease the turning radius in the R model. One aftermarket company has said they're looking at it (I forgot which co.). Another guy on this forum (might have been Lovetorque) was noticing the new 4 seater has a shorter turn radius, and speculated the 2019 R rack may be internally limited in its range , for safety reasons. Like rollover at high speed. Others are asking if a Pioneer rack could be swapped in, which would decrease radius.
One way or another we'll get the R turning radius reduced. Seems like a simple issue. Personally I'm swamped and have not had any time to do any investigation, but I'm planning on doing so when time permits.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes! Meanwhile, efforts are underway to decrease the turning radius in the R model. One aftermarket company has said they're looking at it (I forgot which co.). Another guy on this forum (might have been Lovetorque) was noticing the new 4 seater has a shorter turn radius, and speculated the 2019 R rack may be internally limited in its range , for safety reasons. Like rollover at high speed. Others are asking if a Pioneer rack could be swapped in, which would decrease radius.
One way or another we'll get the R turning radius reduced. Seems like a simple issue. Personally I'm swamped and have not had any time to do any investigation, but I'm planning on doing so when time permits.
I'll save some time on Pioneer rack.
It mounts differently and will not bolt up to the chassis of the Talon.
The R and the X have their own part numbers for the steering rack.

H

HondaTech

From what I've seen the either model is super close to touching he A-arms at full lock. I've seen a few with incorrect toe even rub, 1 in was bad enough to wear the rim down.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!