BOX1

P1000m5 Transmission concerns

G

gabrielmarciano

Mar 31, 2019
Point pleasant WV
Hello everyone, new to this forum. I am considering buying a 2018 or 2019 1000-5.
I plan to do a lot of crawling and hauling with it and lots family trail riding.

Test drove one yesterday at dealer.

I am about sold on the Honda because I have a family of 5 and hate the long wheelbase of other side x sides capable of hauling 5 people.

I asked for feedback on the Hatfield McCoy trail fourm, as I live in West Virginia, and am getting concerned about the DCT. Even the salesman at Honda told me sometimes they break and when they do they cost alot to fix compared to everyone else.

From what I read, most DCT failure is from operator error, not running in low when Recommend, however, it also says you can not back up under a load. How are you sopposed to back up a heavy trailer or get out of sticky spot? What if you what bugger tires??

Is this a real consern?

Talk to me. What do I need to worry about if anything. Some say 7000 miles not issues, other have traded there in after 1000 for multiple repairs.

Thanks
4a56791794c19757373f5b36741443b8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, new to this forum. I am considering buying a 2018 or 2019 1000-5.
I plan to do a lot of crawling and hauling with it and lots family trail riding.

I am about sold on the Honda because I have a family of 5 and hate the long wheelbase of other side x sides capable of hauling 5 people.

I asked for feedback on the Hatfield McCoy trail fourm, as I live in West Virginia, and am getting concerned about the DCT. Even the salesman at Honda told me sometimes they break and when they do they cost alot to fix compared to everyone else.

From what I read, most DCT failure is from operator error, not running in low when Recommend, however, it also says you can not back up under a load. How are you sopposed to back up a heavy trailer or get out of sticky spot? What if you what bugger tires??

Is this a real consern?

Talk to me. What do I need to worry about if anything. Some say 7000 miles not issues, other have traded there in after 1000 for multiple repairs.

Thanks
View attachment 119314

Make sure you get the 5 year extension on warranty if anything breaks that's not your fault everything covered including labor I just got the 2018 P1000-5 and have put it through its paces at a OHV in the mountains here in Oregon, doing some minor rock crawling and some 65 deg hills and a couple 90 deg drop offs and had no issues at all I did some hard riding 32 miles to make sure it's going to hold up and didn't break anything .
Gold Digger

Gold-digger

Gold-digger

Mar 12, 2019
Ocean Shores Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you get the 5 year extension on warranty if anything breaks that's not your fault everything covered including labor I just got the 2018 P1000-5 and have put it through its paces at a OHV in the mountains here in Oregon, doing some minor rock crawling and some 65 deg hills and a couple 90 deg drop offs and had no issues at all I did some hard riding 32 miles to make sure it's going to hold up and didn't break anything .
Gold Digger
And welcome to the form

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’re fine, with the clutch update unless you’re trying to kill it you won’t and you’ll have idiot lights telling you you’re being an idiot.

You can’t trust most sales guys at dealerships, you usually know more about what you’re buying thsn they do.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have to personally disagree with the warranty. The important problems the machine had early on mostly got denied. More times then not people were out of pocket. I wouldn’t spend the extra money.
Now on the positive side there have been service bulletins and recalls for pretty much every known problem. Honda did a good job getting the machine to the expectations of a Honda buyer. It really is a good machine and they are some getting serious mileage on them. A lot less worries then other brands.
We had problems early on but many problem free miles now and I truly have faith in the machines again. Clutch update was the big one and seems to be solid.
Operator error was only part of it. We’ve had three machines, the first had no issues second was always slipping clutches and the third solid yet again. With that said I would buy any year and just make sure it’s got the update. Our newest one was a left over 16. No issues. Great machine

Last edited:
J

JTW

Don’t spend the money on a warranty... they wouldn’t sell them if they didn’t make money on them! As for the machine.. just keep reading on here. The worst you’ll do is burn the clutches and that’s really not a big deal. But with the new updates the 18 and newer are good to go. You can bet the salesman is going to try and sell what they make the most money on. A little sense and you’ll love the pioneer for a family/trail/work rig. With some mods (shocks, tires, a arms) it’s even better.. it’s still a machine and can break. But it’s also not a machine you have to baby. Now if you try and ride it like a sport machine, it’s eventually going to fail. If you try and use it like a tractor, it’s going to eventually fail. If you try and use it like a boat, you’re eventually going to have issues. That said, it’s a really good platform and will do everything well, within reason. Just do your homework on here and you’ll find anything and everything you’d want to know! It’s all been discussed and this place is a f***ing awesome resource for Honda sxs’s!

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don’t spend the money on a warranty... they wouldn’t sell them if they didn’t make money on them! As for the machine.. just keep reading on here. The worst you’ll do is burn the clutches and that’s really not a big deal. But with the new updates the 18 and newer are good to go. You can bet the salesman is going to try and sell what they make the most money on. A little sense and you’ll love the pioneer for a family/trail/work rig. With some mods (shocks, tires, a arms) it’s even better.. it’s still a machine and can break. But it’s also not a machine you have to baby. Now if you try and ride it like a sport machine, it’s eventually going to fail. If you try and use it like a tractor, it’s going to eventually fail. If you try and use it like a boat, you’re eventually going to have issues. That said, it’s a really good platform and will do everything well, within reason. Just do your homework on here and you’ll find anything and everything you’d want to know! It’s all been discussed and this place is a f***ing awesome resource for Honda sxs’s!

I second that
U wont be disappointed

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Is this a real consern?

Thanks
View attachment 119314

You spoke of the DCT....
I can 't recall a single instance of anyone having issues with their transmission with the exception of @CumminsPusher and his second machine. The transmission is pretty damn bulletproof.
There were issues in the past with the clutches. No denying that. Honda has made improvements to the oiling for better life.

There are a few documented cases here of sub-transmission issues. Where the sub trans jumps out of low or reverse. Seems like an afternoon of work and less than $300ish in parts and it is fixed and on it's way again.

How heavy of a trailer do you want to tow?
Are you talking in and out of the woods?
Or around your home?

Basically, if you keep your brain controlling your right foot, the machine will last quite a long time. If you let your dick control your right foot, you could have problems. But that is the case with any SXS.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

45FA2765 C951 4CB0 BDDC 90030C75BCEA

G

gabrielmarciano

Mar 31, 2019
Point pleasant WV
You spoke of the DCT....
I can 't recall a single instance of anyone having issues with their transmission with the exception of @CumminsPusher and his second machine. The transmission is pretty damn bulletproof.
There were issues in the past with the clutches. No denying that. Honda has made improvements to the oiling for better life.

There are a few documented cases here of sub-transmission issues. Where the sub trans jumps out of low or reverse. Seems like an afternoon of work and less than $300ish in parts and it is fixed and on it's way again.

How heavy of a trailer do you want to tow?
Are you talking in and out of the woods?
Or around your home?

Basically, if you keep your brain controlling your right foot, the machine will last quite a long time. If you let your dick control your right foot, you could have problems. But that is the case with any SXS.

Good information.

I am looking to move a 2000 lb trailer now and again to move it from parking spot to where I can hook truck to it. 50 ft Max.

Looking to pull down trees to where I can cut them up. Looking to haul a 6x10 trailer with firewood from woods to house. 500 yards max.

But big hills on my land. Everything else will be trail riding.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good information.

I am looking to move a 2000 lb trailer now and again to move it from parking spot to where I can hook truck to it. 50 ft Max.

Looking to pull down trees to where I can cut them up. Looking to haul a 6x10 trailer with firewood from woods to house. 500 yards max.

But big hills on my land. Everything else will be trail riding.

Know the limits of your machine. Obviously tow your 2,000lb trailer in low. but I wouldn't try backing it up. Reverse does not have a low gear.
Your 6x10 trailer should be fine, but if it is loaded with wood, I would only back it up on level ground.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
I would not worry as stated above, make sure your clutches are engaged when moving slow and use low range when required. I move my 16" trailer with 4" sides every trip with no issues. When moving the trailer I use low, and when in rocks or soft dirt I put it in 4wd. The trans get better with the miles, and really gets better after the first service. Good luck with the search for your new ride!

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tore reverse out of my 2016 with less than 1,900 miles on it.Best explanation I got is that I was putting it to "gently" into reverse/gear . "They like to be slammed into gear". THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !!!! I'm concerned it will happen again .
Rev gear

If I did it over again I would buy something else or get the warranty.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I tore reverse out of my 2016 with less than 1,900 miles on it.Best explanation I got is that I was putting it to "gently" into reverse/gear . "They like to be slammed into gear". THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED !!!! I'm concerned it will happen again . View attachment 119405

If I did it over again I would buy something else or get the warranty.
Sorry that happened to you. Not real common. Clutches should’ve slipped. Had that gone in under warranty I’m pretty sure they would’ve said get bent that was driver error and not covered. Warranty doesn’t do all that much usually.

clifforeilly

clifforeilly

WFOSXS.com
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Oct 22, 2018
Goodhue MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry that happened to you. Not real common. Clutches should’ve slipped. Had that gone in under warranty I’m pretty sure they would’ve said get bent that was driver error and not covered. Warranty doesn’t do all that much usually.

Clutches should have slipped when putting it into reverse to "gently " ?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Clutches should have slipped when putting it into reverse to "gently " ?
No. I meant I would assume clutches would normally take a hit before it grenades something. Do you know what went wrong

Reactions: Farmer
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!