P500 Transporting

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
So what's the majority opinion on transporting pioneer 500. With parking break on and in neutral or parking break on in gear?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what's the majority opinion on transporting pioneer 500. With parking break on and in neutral or parking break on in gear?
Parking break applied in neutral and then dropped back into first gear for me.

Reactions: Mudder and Fischer
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Parking break ,4wd and reverse gear

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Parking break on, in 4-wheel drive mode, neutral gear, and tied down. I read my owners manual and ASSUME this to be the correct way described; YMMV.
Yes, guess it looks like more of us should read the instructions. The thing is I read the stuff I though I needed to know in the manual, then I got thinking after I went out on Thursday about this. I was lazy and decided to ask on here instead of looking it up. At any rate thanks for doing what I should of done in the first place.

Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
@Fischer , when I purchased my P500 the guy at the dealership told me to leave it in gear when transporting.

I read the owners manual when I got home. The reason I added ASSUME is because the owner's manual does not say to leave it in gear, but states to try moving the machine back and forth after tying it down. So, I ASSUME that the engine would be in neutral gear.

Someone may come along with a better reason for transporting their P500 in forward or reverse gear.

FWIW, I also hook my winch cable to the front of my trailer as an extra measure of transportation safety. I then tighten down the rear of the machine first, and tighten down the front last.

I'm using motorcycle tie-down straps made by www.thetankstrap.com I've had good results using them so far.

Reactions: Mopower58
advertisement
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
@Fischer , when I purchased my P500 the guy at the dealership told me to leave it in gear when transporting.

I read the owners manual when I got home. The reason I added ASSUME is because the owner's manual does not say to leave it in gear, but states to try moving the machine back and forth after tying it down. So, I ASSUME that the engine would be in neutral gear.

Someone may come along with a better reason for transporting their P500 in forward or reverse gear.

FWIW, I also hook my winch cable to the front of my trailer as an extra measure of transportation safety. I then tighten down the rear of the machine first, and tighten down the front last.

I'm using motorcycle tie-down straps made by www.thetankstrap.com I've had good results using them so far.
Haven't looked at the owners manual yet.....it does say engage 4wd mode? Right?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Parking break on, in 4-wheel drive mode, neutral gear, and tied down. I read my owners manual and ASSUME this to be the correct way described; YMMV.
Actually, yet again an addendum: mine is in 4x4 too since I have a wood decked trailer that gets slick as s***.
And I think you'd find that to keep the machine from rolling backwards easily, it needs to be in reverse?

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I posted earlier that I tie it down in gear with the park brake set, I also use 4wd too. I don’t use my winch as a tie down as I destroyed a winch on an atv doing that.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Very interesting to hear the different ways people choose to secure their machines. The guy at the dealer told me to have it in 4WD with the parking brake engaged and in Neutral. I took his word for it and have used that method without issue, Strapped down with straps of course. He said trailering in gear is bad for the transmission. I have never read the recommendations in the book about it.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'm wondering why they recommend having it in four wheel drive, if it's in neutral...?
In 4wd the p brake is holding the front and rear diff still. You can argue about the open front diff but once you lift a wheel you have other problems.

Neutral is about not damaging the transmission gears. It’s not that hard on the gears but why push it. Concern is that rocking back and forth on one gear tooth it may damage one spot after 100,000 miles in the back of your truck.

F

Fake_Engineer

May 23, 2020
maine
Ownership

1. 500

I've been told that using the winch cable can put uncessary stress on the sheer pin in the winch. No idea if it's warranted.

advertisement