Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Anybody run(ning) either of these tires? Need new shoes on the '21 eff one-fiddy and it's down to these two. I don't really need an LT tire, as I spend most of my miles on the highway unloaded and not pulling a trailer. These are P-metric tires.

The Falken is geared a little more towards off-road while the Cooper is a better riding road tire. Falken will lose me a wee bit of MPG over the Cooper. Both are good wet traction tires and are 3PMSF (3-peak mountain snowflake) rated. Both have a 65K mile warranty. Within ~$120 OTD between the two tires. Coopers Discoverer is made in the US, whereas the Wildpeak is made in Thailand. Cooper is owned by Goodyear, whereas Falken is part of Sumitomo.

Any real-world experience with either would be greatly appreciated.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The only Cooper I can relate to is I put a set of Cooper Evolution HT 275/20’s on the Ram back in February of 21. Ride great and are strictly a highway tire but the reason I bought a Pioneer was for off-road as well as the tractors. Bought them right before Goodyear bought them out. 🇺🇸🇺🇸 I would go with the Cooper solely on being made in the USA.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anybody run(ning) either of these tires? Need new shoes on the '21 eff one-fiddy and it's down to these two. I don't really need an LT tire, as I spend most of my miles on the highway unloaded and not pulling a trailer. These are P-metric tires.

The Falken is geared a little more towards off-road while the Cooper is a better riding road tire. Falken will lose me a wee bit of MPG over the Cooper. Both are good wet traction tires and are 3PMSF (3-peak mountain snowflake) rated. Both have a 65K mile warranty. Within ~$120 OTD between the two tires. Coopers Discoverer is made in the US, whereas the Wildpeak is made in Thailand. Cooper is owned by Goodyear, whereas Falken is part of Sumitomo.

On my second set of AT3s currently the 4s. Have always had good luck with them as far as flats and monster Chuck holes. They are quite and ride nice but I did have to get the road force balance done to be smooth at 80+. Probably have north of 35k on them and still have about 1/2 tread but honestly I don't rotate them like I should now that I'm only doing 2600-3100 mi a yr.I have had the front end float a couple times at freeway speeds in heavy rain. 255-75-20s don't like wide tires. They do well in the snow. I phucking hate Goodyear so between that and my limited mileage now I will be going back to a highway tread whenever these wear out.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Take a look to see if the Michelin CrossClimate2 is avail in your size. They have rave reviews, Tirerack rates em as outstanding. They will be going on the wife’s pilot No more need to change over to winter tires 😁

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 9205

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I put the standard non lt falken wild peaks on my ‘03 F150….was a Cooper guy till they sold out to Goodyear whom I despise…

Made in America, has the winter rating and have amazing traction without a ton of road noise. I really didn’t notice a loss in mpg that I could measure?

The next set my F350 will get this fall are going to be the Falken Wildpeak tires in a 10 ply.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I put the standard non lt falken wild peaks on my ‘03 F150….was a Cooper guy till they sold out to Goodyear whom I despise…

Made in America, has the winter rating and have amazing traction without a ton of road noise. I really didn’t notice a loss in mpg that I could measure?

The next set my F350 will get this fall are going to be the Falken Wildpeak tires in a 10 ply.
was a Cooper guy till they sold out to Goodyear whom I despise… ED Zachary

advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have the coopers on my wife's 4runner. They have been a good tire. Louder than the mastercraft atx tires we had on it before though

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Has 2 sets of the Coopers. First set was great. Made un USA. Second set was $hit after they sold to GoodYear. Couldnt balance them for $hit.
Bought Michelin LTX/MS and even plowed with them. Ware was👌🏼 over the Coopers, road noise was non existent wet and snow traction was awesome. Also had 50k miles on them with just over half tread on them before I traded that truck

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I appreciate all the input from everyone.

I ended up going with the Cooper Discoverer Road+Trail AT. It's actually an updated version of the AT3 4S that is a little more aggressive on the trail but still has great road characteristics for an AT tire. Getting them installed Thursday.

I got 60K miles out of the OEM tires that came on the truck (Pirelli). Lots of miles, yes, but the wet traction was lacking and in the snow, they just plain sucked. The Coopers have a 65K mileage warranty, aggressive sidewall tread, and 3PMSF rating for severe weather service, so they should be much better than the stock meats.

Thanks again, all.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Made in USA
I forget the model, but I had a set of Coopers on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 many years ago. Was fairly pleased with their performance, but the fact that they were made in the USA was part of the reason I went with Coopers back then, too.