BOX1

TRUEAM Isolator Alternate KEY-ON ONLY wiring method!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is an alternate wiring method for the TrueAm Isolator.
This uses the spare ground trigger as a control point for the Isolator.
Meaning, when the key is off... so will be the isolator.

THE CHANGE...
Look you will see we re-located the small black ground wire to the spare green (ground) wire coming off the relay.

No more "why is the blue light still on"!
Turn the key off and the blue light will go off imminently.

In my non-professional opinion, this method will allow both batteries to keep their own individual overcharged status.
Batteries all drop to their resting voltage of +-12.7v over time, but some do it faster than others.
This allows for each battery to do it at its own rates vs them supporting each other down to isolator cutout thresholds.

One drawback is that trickle charging will no longer charge both batteries.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the link to the isolator used in this diagram.

Last edited:
M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello, has anyone wired up their isolator in this way? It honestly doesnt make sense to me, I know nothing about this isolator device. Is the isolator OFF/ON controlled by breaking the ground to it?

Thanks

Phil

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, has anyone wired up their isolator in this way? It honestly doesnt make sense to me, I know nothing about this isolator device. Is the isolator OFF/ON controlled by breaking the ground to it?

Thanks

Phil
Correct, with no ground, it cannot see each respective battery voltage.

nitrotmann

nitrotmann

Jan 18, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000 Crew
Changing our some winch battery cables and the silver stud on the sbi-18 isolater started to spin inside the case. I can see it's a Phillips screw driver at its base.

Can I safely take the isolater apart to retighten the silver big screw?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Meaning, when the key is off... so will be the isolator.
Doesn't this mean that, if you want to charge both batteries with a trickle charger or similar setup, you'll need to (a) charge them one at a time, (b) use two chargers, or (c) manually connect them in parallel when the charger is on one of them?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doesn't this mean that, if you want to charge both batteries with a trickle charger or similar setup, you'll need to (a) charge them one at a time, (b) use two chargers, or (c) manually connect them in parallel when the charger is on one of them?
Yes. Correct. I mention that in the post.

It also means that if your newer battery rest at a higher resting limit, it will stay at that limit.
Disconnecting also rules out the issue of the claimed "blue light" running the batteries dead.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changing our some winch battery cables and the silver stud on the sbi-18 isolater started to spin inside the case. I can see it's a Phillips screw driver at its base.

Can I safely take the isolater apart to retighten the silver big screw?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
IDK.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!