Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2005 recon 250 that's been sitting in the barn far too long. I parked it when the rear axle bearings went out which was about the same time I got my pioneer, so needless to say my motivation to fix it was not really there.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. My wife and I are strolling through cabelas and she sees a little 90cc four wheeler and says I want that! I told her for a fraction of the cost of that one ($1500) I could fix up the recon and she'd have a way better 4 wheeler!

So here I am. I got a new rear axle bearing and seal kit, new rear brake pads, new rear brake cover, new battery, spark plug, numerous seals, o-rings and oil change. Front brakes seem ok and air filter looks fine. It's been sitting for awhile so I'll change gas and clean carb too. And lube cables. So far I'm in it for about $300

Is there anything else you all recommend I do or check? Thanks guys.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
From what I remember my short wheelbase recon needed a wheelie bar. Jk. Good luck with your build.

Reactions: Tflynn
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Exhaust bearings. Don't forget those. Sounds like you've got everything covered.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2005 recon 250 that's been sitting in the barn far too long. I parked it when the rear axle bearings went out which was about the same time I got my pioneer, so needless to say my motivation to fix it was not really there.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. My wife and I are strolling through cabelas and she sees a little 90cc four wheeler and says I want that! I told her for a fraction of the cost of that one ($1500) I could fix up the recon and she'd have a way better 4 wheeler!

So here I am. I got a new rear axle bearing and seal kit, new rear brake pads, new rear brake cover, new battery, spark plug, numerous seals, o-rings and oil change. Front brakes seem ok and air filter looks fine. It's been sitting for awhile so I'll change gas and clean carb too. And lube cables. So far I'm in it for about $300

Is there anything else you all recommend I do or check? Thanks guys.
go it it muddy......

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
go it it muddy......
Ha yeah and wet! The original purpose for the quad was to be used for irrigating so yeah probably over half the hours were in water and mud

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
recons are fun little rigs, My sons is still in my backyard under a tarp waiting for him to buy his own house. He starts it up every few years to clean the mice out of it.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
We have a 2006 250 EX, that does not get ridden as often as it used to. We bought it for my wife and worked out really well for her size and power wise. It makes a great loaner quad when I need one of my buddies to go riding with me.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
On a serious note If I had one I would put 24 inch bighorns on the front because the shocks need some help.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
On a serious note If I had one I would put 24 inch bighorns on the front because the shocks need some help.
Ha I was daydreaming the other day about if it would be possible to swap my stock pioneer shocks on there!

Reactions: 500oneer
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I got it all finished. And wouldn't you guess it, after sitting for at least two years, still runs like a champ! Go Honda!

Reactions: joeymt33