P700 Tuner/Performance question!

Boiler363

Boiler363

Dec 25, 2018
Hecker IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've been trying to do my best researching gearing and/or power adder options for my '17 P700-4. There's a lot of good information to go through on here and I just want to see if what I've come up with makes sense.
Rather than going through the headache of adding Rincon gears and swapping to a '14 ECU what I was hoping to do was go ahead with the '14 ECU to go to a RPM limiter rather than MPH limiter and also add the EJK (Electric Jet Kit) offered on the Dobeck site. Spoke to them today and they said without major supporting mods this would be an easier and cheaper option.
So in addition I'm thinking I want to go to a 235/75/15 MT. Had truck tires on my P1000-5 and loved them. The machine pulls the taller skinnier tire great with less resistance it seems like. I know I'll need a lift of sorts but the goal is some MPH.
Not a speed freak, but in my group theres a LOT of county road riding as well as muddy trails and some creek crossing and that's about it. My machine already does 47MPH on GPS with 27's (that measure about 26.5") Just thinking of going this route rather than stepping back into a 1000 cause I don't really want the bigger machine anymore.
I change oil probably twice as often as the book says just because the machine sees the limiter on blacktop better than 50% of the time.
Only supporting mods are a UNI stage 2 air filter (which helped tremendously) and modified stock muffler and tip.

Boiler363

Boiler363

Dec 25, 2018
Hecker IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know I read a thread where a Rincon gear swap was done and a higher top speed wasn't possible until a '14 ECU was used, I was just hoping that someone here would be able to validate that. Or if there's something I'm missing before I order one, like possibly is there a midyear change? Or a part number possibly just to be safe?
A used one is $80-$90 on Ebay but just to be safe a particular part number would be good in case what the seller says he thinks it is is inaccurate.
Any insight is much appreciated!

Boiler363

Boiler363

Dec 25, 2018
Hecker IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So although I appear to be the only one on this thread we'll push on! Got my BFG'S on and dobeck tuner on and knew I'd still be battling the speed limiter.

Sitting here tonight I've been trying to find a way to lower the amount of pulses sent to the ECM via the speed sensor. Obviously we know unplugging it won't work. I believe I'm going to attempt to cut the signal wire and splice a line into it and reconnect one wire back to signal and send the other back to ground.

I realize it probably isn't this simple, but let's just say it was- if half of the impulse signal is diverted to ground and doesn't make it to the ECM then there's hope that the signal can be overridden.

Just to be clear- I'm gonna consider this a success IF the speedo is off by half, or shifting is significantly delayed all while having no dash lights! In my theory of splitting the signal is that simple, then splitting it once more and tying back into the signal wire again ought to bring some of the impulse signal back raising shift points AND top speed some.

I realize this would probably be difficult to fine tune but hey if it doesn't work its just a few wires to soldier back together.... No harm no foul right!?

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
V

Von

May 1, 2020
North east TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
Following... I would like a little more top end also! I'm new so not any help...

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know if you're the only one but... I don't know if anyone has found a combination that will get a higher top end speed.
Or higher low end torque.

Other threads have tried programmers for more HP. Some have tried re-gearing for torque. I recall one had tried both with limited success.

Most of us got here wanting faster machines. Most of us got bigger tires and lift kits and removed the sway bar. Now, it would be unsafe to go faster.

Reactions: Mudwing
Boiler363

Boiler363

Dec 25, 2018
Hecker IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know if you're the only one but... I don't know if anyone has found a combination that will get a higher top end speed.
Or higher low end torque.

Other threads have tried programmers for more HP. Some have tried re-gearing for torque. I recall one had tried both with limited success.

Most of us got here wanting faster machines. Most of us got bigger tires and lift kits and removed the sway bar. Now, it would be unsafe to go faster.

There have been a few out there that have been very successful, but the lengths they went to are just too deep for me. This won't cost much if anything to find out.

I still want to try a 2014 ECM because I know if worked for the guy with a turbo. Also the few old threads from the first year '14 era 700's those guys talked about hitting 50 with a taller tire.

Boiler363

Boiler363

Dec 25, 2018
Hecker IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So just took a ride and half fail half success i guess....
Took off and ran first gear into the rev limiter and then it shifted into second into the limiter all while having no speedo readout. Went back and clipped the ground wire i had tied in also and was able to get the speedo back however upon takeoff bike never went back to first and took off in second and still would not shift but it will run about 34 MPH in 2nd gear. Strangely enough I couldn't even notice any power loss taking off in 2nd and literally going 0-34 MPH.
Guess I'm going put it back to normal until I get my hands on a better wiring schematic. Found some on here but they're pretty blurry. I know enough to know this signal wire is tied into the shift solenoid. Just need to do some more pondering, thinking of looking into some in line resistors to alter the signal.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
So just took a ride and half fail half success i guess....
Took off and ran first gear into the rev limiter and then it shifted into second into the limiter all while having no speedo readout. Went back and clipped the ground wire i had tied in also and was able to get the speedo back however upon takeoff bike never went back to first and took off in second and still would not shift but it will run about 34 MPH in 2nd gear. Strangely enough I couldn't even notice any power loss taking off in 2nd and literally going 0-34 MPH.
Guess I'm going put it back to normal until I get my hands on a better wiring schematic. Found some on here but they're pretty blurry. I know enough to know this signal wire is tied into the shift solenoid. Just need to do some more pondering, thinking of looking into some in line resistors to alter the signal.
I have a service manual. Is there a diagram I can post here for you?

Reactions: Farmer
JoshC

JoshC

Jun 7, 2020
NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for putting in the work and writing it all out for us!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!