Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Be honest. My buddy installed the Power Commander and K&N air filter on his 700-4.
I got to drive it Saturday. I'm just not sure I felt any more power than mine. He claims it made a difference. I'm not convinced.

Does anyone have a tuner but feels it isn't worth the trouble?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I don't have a tuner but do have a K&N filter and It did make a difference I used a stop watch over a set distance, averaged the time on 5 runs, then added the K&N filter made 5 more runs for an average and compared. I've done that with everything I've changed. You can have a base time at higher altitudes or going uphill etc. Try to keep tire pres the same and the Temp as close to the same, the weight the same . etc Then you'll know for sure if there is any improvement.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have read you must do tuner intake and exhaust altogether. If your buddy has stock exhaust is probably choking it out a bit. But let's be honest, these items on their best day won't make you pioneer breathe fire. I noticed small gains with my intake and exhaust and I probably will add a tuner at some point. For the amount of performance I expect to get from it, I'm in no big hurry.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Lynn makes a good point. I've done almost identical tests and have found I am not very sensitive to power changes. The stopwatch doesn't lie! Sometimes you don't really "feel" it but it is in fact there. You may think "if I can't feel it then what's the point?" The point is that if you have more power your machine will get you more places and you'll be using that power even if you don't know it!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
All very good points guys

Reactions: Tflynn
MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Can I ask a few questions?
You guys are making the changes to the intake and the exhaust on these machines are you resetting the ECU? I know on other vehicles that the changes don't take effect until you reset the ECU or it goes through its "learning cycle." Even on my old 1996 Mitsubishi Montero, it takes disconnecting the battery or putting like 50 miles on the vehicle before it recognizes any changes and compensates for them.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nope, I didn't reset the ECU. My knowledge on this stuff is limited but I assume it automatically adjusts for the changes because I could feel a difference on the first ride.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Nope, I didn't reset the ECU. My knowledge on this stuff is limited but I assume it automatically adjusts for the changes because I could feel a difference on the first ride.
That is the reason I wonder. Someone that knows more than I do will eventually chime in but my understanding is the ECU doesn't recognize the changes until you disconnect the battery or allow it a long enough time to compensate the fuel trims. Otherwise you may and I do mean "may" be running it a little lean from the increased airflow. That would explain a feeling of a little quicker but could potentially cause other problems.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!