P1000 Twin Lithium Battery Installation ?

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just purchased two 360 CCA lithium batteries for my P1000-3eps. Has anyone put these into a P1000? The fact that 2 fit perfectly into the space of the old one is great. My concern is that twin batteries with just a 1/4 inch seperation may overheat. May be paranoid due to cell phone battery failures. Any ideas?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I just purchased two 360 CCA lithium batteries for my P1000-3eps. Has anyone put these into a P1000? The fact that 2 fit perfectly into the space of the old one is great. My concern is that twin batteries with just a 1/4 inch seperation may overheat. May be paranoid due to cell phone battery failures. Any ideas?
I do not have any of those just 2 standard ones. I wouldn’t think they’d overheat. Do you have a pic so we can see them in the rig?

Reactions: sharp
D

DDDonkey

I would be more worried about the charge rate of the Honda than the heat. I don’t know what the output is of the Honda, but I would verify that it is within the specs of the new batteries.

Reactions: sharp and Remington
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you search for lithium batteries you'll find some threads discussing them. Some issues were using them in cold weather, under-charge/over-charge, discharge level (as in draining too low will kill them), and possible 'no-warranty' in UTV applications... overall thought was as a starter battery they might work but not as an accessory battery.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wouldn’t personally use lithium for the high drain side but it would work for start battery. We’ve tried them prior though and like said above they hate cold temp and don’t seem to fully charge off a stator.
We used a deep cycle dedicated battery and a 1200 amp super capacitor for the system and that worked excellent for the stereo and lighting system. No fluctuations from bass or lighting and held up good for winching

Last edited:
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They would probably be fine as a replacement starting battery if you had a dedicated accessory battery or were careful about not drawing it down. They don't tolerate discharge as well as a lead battery.....and to Cummins point about charging, they can be a little finicky with that......at least in my experience. I had one on one of my bikes, and it was fine, but my voltage regulator went and it discharged. I couldn't get the charger to charge it up...wouldn't recognize the battery as good (maybe it wasn't). I had to trick it by putting it on a normal battery charger to get the level up a bit and then switch to the lithium charger. It charged fine after that. That was my fault though.

Sounds like you already have them so give it a go....I just wouldn't recommend them for this application if you were considering buying them. Their biggest advantage (weight...which is the reason I bought it) isn't really much of an advantage on a UTV....not for the cost anyway. It's cool that you can mount them pretty much anywhere, but Honda has a spot picked out already that works. I'm not sure about the warranty thing.....Shorai (for example) lists them for a P1000 so I would think they would warranty them, but who knows. I'm sure there are others with more experience than I with these....maybe they'll chime in. @ohanacreek knows his way around a battery....and I think he did the warranty leg work mentioned above. good luck.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They would probably be fine as a replacement starting battery if you had a dedicated accessory battery or were careful about not drawing it down. They don't tolerate discharge as well as a lead battery.....and to Cummins point about charging, they can be a little finicky with that......at least in my experience. I had one on one of my bikes, and it was fine, but my voltage regulator went and it discharged. I couldn't get the charger to charge it up...wouldn't recognize the battery as good (maybe it wasn't). I had to trick it by putting it on a normal battery charger to get the level up a bit and then switch to the lithium charger. It charged fine after that. That was my fault though.

Sounds like you already have them so give it a go....I just wouldn't recommend them for this application if you were considering buying them. Their biggest advantage (weight...which is the reason I bought it) isn't really much of an advantage on a UTV....not for the cost anyway. It's cool that you can mount them pretty much anywhere, but Honda has a spot picked out already that works. I'm not sure about the warranty thing.....Shorai (for example) lists them for a P1000 so I would think they would warranty them, but who knows. I'm sure there are others with more experience than I with these....maybe they'll chime in. @ohanacreek knows his way around a battery....and I think he did the warranty leg work mentioned above. good luck.

The batteries come with a 2 year unlimited warranty. With just a little cutting (dremel) of the ribs on each side of the battery case and a small cut by rear bolt mount, both batteries fit snug and aren't as tall. The reason I went with lithium is the high cranking amps (360 vs 220). I have only driven it a few miles since installing them, and I can hear the difference during starting on the cold mornings. Worse that can happen is I'll need a jump from someone else. Voltage seems to be exact same as regular battery, 14.3 volts. I guess I'll be the test bunny.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@joeymt33 did the legwork, I was considering one but even the ones that said they would fit a Pioneer 1000 would not honor their warranty, (This was a little over a year ago maybe they have changed their policies since then) I would really like to have a smaller battery it would free up my storage options. My luck it would fail when I NEEDED it to work. So I went with the tried and tested Optima.

Reactions: ripHST and joeymt33
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I went through 2 shorai lithium battery's in my Ducati in 3 years. They are light but finicky. Went back to a Yuasa for now. When cold they say to turn the headlights on for a few minutes to warm up the battery before cranking.

Reactions: GlockMeister

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!