P500 Underside seems exposed!

geraldvg

geraldvg

The underside of the P5 seem uncomfortably open and exposed to possible component damage to me and I'm wondering how seriously I'll need a skid plate and A-arm protectors. My P5 will be used for transportation around and work on a north central Arkansas (Ozarks) ranch. I am by no stretch of the imagination an aggressive rider, but have had some stick and bent tie rods issues (from pushing through and over sprouts grown up in the tracks of old logging roads or just "bulling" through under-story) with my Traxter 500XT. I also have some trail conditions that will challenge the P5's ground clearance (crawling over fallen logs and/or through washes where only the large and invariably uneven rocks have been big and heavy enough not washed downstream). My Traxter has full time 4WD, so if one foot is on the ground, it will keep on pushing. Football sized+ sharp rocks seem to literally grow between seasons around here and I sure don't want to crack a casting or break something if I can avoid it. I don't ride fast and can maneuver around or otherwise negotiate most high center obsticles, but some just have to be gone over the best you can. When the OEM tires wear out and are placed, I plan to go to a size that will increase my ground clearance, but that won't happen immediately.

Some experience based advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

Reactions: Gem99Ultra
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@geraldvg Ya and its fairly flimsy. I would not put too much trust into the underbelly. It will be good for average conditions but if you plan to do some rock crawling or high centered tasks then you might should invest in a UHMW skid plate. Ya its a good bit of money but I can now say... it is worth every dime.

Reactions: ohanacreek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The underside of the P5 seem uncomfortably open and exposed to possible component damage to me and I'm wondering how seriously I'll need a skid plate and A-arm protectors. My P5 will be used for transportation around and work on a north central Arkansas (Ozarks) ranch. I am by no stretch of the imagination an aggressive rider, but have had some stick and bent tie rods issues (from pushing through and over sprouts grown up in the tracks of old logging roads or just "bulling" through under-story) with my Traxter 500XT. I also have some trail conditions that will challenge the P5's ground clearance (crawling over fallen logs and/or through washes where only the large and invariably uneven rocks have been big and heavy enough not washed downstream). My Traxter has full time 4WD, so if one foot is on the ground, it will keep on pushing. Football sized+ sharp rocks seem to literally grow between seasons around here and I sure don't want to crack a casting or break something if I can avoid it. I don't ride fast and can maneuver around or otherwise negotiate most high center obsticles, but some just have to be gone over the best you can. When the OEM tires wear out and are placed, I plan to go to a size that will increase my ground clearance, but that won't happen immediately.

Some experience based advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

I would highly recommend a good set of UHMW full skids & A-Arm protects as one of the first must have add ons' for the P500, just like a roof protect you from the sun and rain the skids protect the machine from rocks and sticks. Below are OEM skids to UHMW skids night and days difference in protection.

Before, OEM Honda Skids:

20150810 165249 zpscbj0hry0

And AFTER SSS OFFROAD UHMW SKIDS:
20150810 204140 zps0mypctif

Reactions: Fordman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!