P700 Universal Joint

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2
Brand new P700 has grease pushed out on rear part of mid drive shaft after 10 hours running.
Is this normal from packed grease?
I have not seen tear in boot appears to come from around drive shaft that has intact band around it.
Should we be concerned or is some leakage normal when new.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine has never done that nor have I heard of others that do.
My not so important opinion is that it is not normal.
It would prudent to find the exact location the grease is leaking from so to dig deeper.
There could be a flaw in the boot you haven't seen.
Send pics of the greasey area and the areas involved so we can help you do a 4D and get to the root cause and do a PDA so it is a non issue moving forward.
Good luck and best wishes on your issue.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try to post some pictures. It sounds like you have a band not seated correctly allowing grease to push thru

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Most likely just pushed out from the assembly of the shaft. Wipe it off and be done.
The rubber boots are more just dust covers for the spline joint.
They are not meant to hold any grease and they should not be packed with it.
There will be some grease inside, but again, not packed.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Brand new P700 has grease pushed out on rear part of mid drive shaft after 10 hours running.
Is this normal from packed grease?
I have not seen tear in boot appears to come from around drive shaft that has intact band around it.
Should we be concerned or is some leakage normal when new.
Are you talking about the little boots with o rings for "clamps" on each end? Near the brake rotor on the rear?

If so, consider yourself lucky, as they typically have had very little grease in them at all.
My 1st 700 had a squeak from the front driveshaft from being dry. My 500, which has a very similar setup, developed a front shaft rattle at certain speeds that sounded like the engine was flying apart...or MORE like the engine was flying apart than normal, also from a lack of grease.

The solution to both was to do what @Hondasxs just told you not to do, IE-slip a grease needle under the boot and pump that slip joint full of grease. I went ahead and I'd this on my current 700 before issues arose...and yes, grease will leach out of them a bit. Wipe it off and forget about it as long as the boot isn't leaking.

H

HondaTech

Are you talking about the little boots with o rings for "clamps" on each end? Near the brake rotor on the rear?

If so, consider yourself lucky, as they typically have had very little grease in them at all.
My 1st 700 had a squeak from the front driveshaft from being dry. My 500, which has a very similar setup, developed a front shaft rattle at certain speeds that sounded like the engine was flying apart...or MORE like the engine was flying apart than normal, also from a lack of grease.

The solution to both was to do what @Hondasxs just told you not to do, IE-slip a grease needle under the boot and pump that slip joint full of grease. I went ahead and I'd this on my current 700 before issues arose...and yes, grease will leach out of them a bit. Wipe it off and forget about it as long as the boot isn't leaking.
You don't want to pump the u-joint near the rear of the enigne, that is just a dust cover.

The only way to get grease in any of those splines would be to remove them and lube. The splines are so far up in the joint the grease is just sitting in the boot. The boot just keeps dirt out of the splined area.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You don't want to pump the u-joint near the rear of the enigne, that is just a dust cover.

The only way to get grease in any of those splines would be to remove them and lube. The splines are so far up in the joint the grease is just sitting in the boot. The boot just keeps dirt out of the splined area.
No...not the u joint.

The plunge joints, using a grease needle. You can roll the little o rings off and pull the little boot back and get a grease needle in in them and around that big rubber plunger thing.

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2
It is from the drive shaft.

Some dropped off below.

IMG 3350 IMG 3349